Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Need some cordless weed eater suggestions please

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by awp_101 View Post
    going with a good battery system for everything but the riding mower makes sense.
    That's what my mom does now. She has about half an acre and does the bulk of it with the riding mower, uses the Kobalt 80v mower for the detail areas, and the trimmer for the normal string trimmer duties. She has mowed the entire yard with the Kobalt mower when the riding mower has to go into the shop.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkr View Post
    I have the Kobalt 80v stuff. Not because I need 80v equipment, but because it's what Lowes puts on the deepest sales. I got my mower and string trimmer, with 3 batteries and two chargers, for less than I could get a 40v mower alone. I've had my mower and trimmer for 2 seasons, this will be my 3rd. Just today I bought a Ryobi edger attachment for the trimmer.

My parents (now just my mom) bought into the same ecosystem and have those two tools as well as the blower and chainsaw. Those tools have been in service for 4 years. Shortly after they bought the mower and saw, I used the saw to cut down several small to medium sized trees in their yard. I had to use all the batteries to down, limb, and cut the trunks into manageable lengths, but it did the job.

Bottom line, I'm impressed by the Kobalt 80v line. I certainly don't need that much power in my own yard, but when I use those tools at my mom's, I'm reminded they are a legitimate replacement for gas power even in a proper yard.

ETA: The best time to buy Kobalt 80v gear is in the late Fall through late Winter. Lowes puts the 80v stuff on deep sales during that time, especially just before Thanksgiving through mid January. I bought my string trimmer, with battery and charger, for less than the battery would have cost alone.

Chris
    Another thing is if you already have a mower or some of the other tools, you can usually by a standalone tool (without battery or charger) off the Lowes website and get free shipping to the store. That's how I bought my blower. I'd definitely want two batteries if I had the trimmer and/or edger to go with the mower but I might could squeak by with one battery if I didn't take too long. These batteries do have some leg to them. To add to my post above: The 40V blower works quite well too and it's much quieter than a gas model.

Thanks everyone! Had to make a decision on one today so I can use it tomorrow. Ended up with an EGO 56v.

I was all set to get the Kobalt when I remembered the oldest boy has a small yard and does everything with cordless equipment. I also know he obsessively researches his purchases so I asked what he had. Turns out he's got a full Ryobi set up that was given to him but if that hadn't happened, he was ready to start buying the EGO equipment.
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Quote Originally Posted by littlejerry View Post
    The basic Ryobi 40v has served me well on 0.5 acres for the last 4 years. I have 2 batteries, it usually takes 0.5-1 full battery to trim the yard, and then 1 full battery to run the edger along the driveway and walkway.
    Mine caught on fire the first time I used it, turns out this is common. First time a Ryobi let me down.
    #RESIST

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    Mine caught on fire the first time I used it, turns out this is common. First time a Ryobi let me down.
    Yes, but did it take care of the weeds?

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    I am really interested in the details.
    Ignore Alien Orders

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by awp_101 View Post
    Thanks everyone! Had to make a decision on one today so I can use it tomorrow. Ended up with an EGO 56v.

I was all set to get the Kobalt when I remembered the oldest boy has a small yard and does everything with cordless equipment. I also know he obsessively researches his purchases so I asked what he had. Turns out he's got a full Ryobi set up that was given to him but if that hadn't happened, he was ready to start buying the EGO equipment.
    I'm late to the thread, but I think your EGO is the current version of what I have. Mine is a few years old now, and I've been extremely pleased with it. I bought an EGO leaf blower that uses the same battery. I think they are fantastic, and if I needed to buy another weed eater tomorrow, I'd get another EGO and not give it a second thought.

This deal showed up in my inbox this morning -- free pole saw, hedge trimmer, or edger attachment thrown in with the Milwaukee M18 Fuel string trimmer kit with HD9.0 battery for $299.

I'm mostly Milwaukee these days but currently using Dewalt for outdoor tools because reasons. I'm specifically curious about the Milwaukee pole saw attachment. My current Dewalt pole saw has the motor in the head next to the chain, putting more weight at the far end of the pole. I've never used any other pole saw but I find maneuvering it to be a handful, especially with the extension, even with a big battery as counterweight. With the Milwaukee having the motor in the shared power unit, it seems there would be a lot less weight on the business end and it might handle a quite a bit better. Any of the Milwaukee guys (@Welder @Snapshot @rob_s) have any experience with the Milwaukee pole saw? Any chance someone could put just the pole saw attachment itself on a postal scale? The end section of my Dewalt, with the saw head and ~2' of pole, chain installed but no oil, weighs 5 lb 2.6 oz. I'm curious how much lighter the Milwaukee would be.

I don't have the M18 polesaw, and really don't need it for my property. But now, thanks to certain people, I want one.

Quote Originally Posted by EricM View Post
    This deal showed up in my inbox this morning -- free pole saw, hedge trimmer, or edger attachment thrown in with the Milwaukee M18 Fuel string trimmer kit with HD9.0 battery for $299.

I'm mostly Milwaukee these days but currently using Dewalt for outdoor tools because reasons. I'm specifically curious about the Milwaukee pole saw attachment. My current Dewalt pole saw has the motor in the head next to the chain, putting more weight at the far end of the pole. I've never used any other pole saw but I find maneuvering it to be a handful, especially with the extension, even with a big battery as counterweight. With the Milwaukee having the motor in the shared power unit, it seems there would be a lot less weight on the business end and it might handle a quite a bit better. Any of the Milwaukee guys (@Welder @Snapshot @rob_s) have any experience with the Milwaukee pole saw? Any chance someone could put just the pole saw attachment itself on a postal scale? The end section of my Dewalt, with the saw head and ~2' of pole, chain installed but no oil, weighs 5 lb 2.6 oz. I'm curious how much lighter the Milwaukee would be.
    I have that pole saw, along with the extension and some of the other attachments (I started with the pole saw). My wife uses it, not me but she loves it.

Thanks for the link BTW, I suspect that M18 chainsaw is headed to my house shortly...
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

User Tag List