Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Is Rob Pincus Anti-Gun? Let's Ask Him!

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Quote Originally Posted by Ed L View Post
    Pincus was also running the shooting program at a now defunct high end firearms training resort in Colorado called Valhalla Lodge. One catch--the lodge did not allow guests to possess firearms on the property or in their rooms. So when they arrived they had to check them in at the resort and had them brought to them to the shooting range.
    Rachel Maddow approves of this message.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

I remember his Toyota FJ cruiser, all decked out in 'ICE training' decals. He'd tried to turn around on the range and because he'd got one of the front wheels hung up on the end of the berm, he was stuck. The front wheels weren't turning, just a back wheel. So, naturally, he proceeded to spin his way out of there, spraying gravel at everyone behind him. So we're dodging rocks, and I'm thinking - again - "What an asshole!" as I then noticed two things; the first thing was a sign, on the berm, that said "Please stay off the berm" and the second thing was a decal, in the back window of the FJ Cruiser (the 'ICE training' FJ Cruiser stuck on the berm, the one spraying gravel at us) which said something about "...INTEGRITY..."

I laughed out loud, and we all thought that - in the context - the message on that sticker was pretty funny. Pincus, who was combat-focused (on getting unstuck from the berm), was completely unaware of the irony, I'm sure.
    Last edited by Wendell; 04-03-2021 at 09:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by olstyn View Post
    That sounds like a recipe for students shooting each other because not everyone runs at the same speed. In what world would that be considered to be even vaguely safe?
    Yeah, that's what we thought, too. If I recall correctly, though, he had us do it one-at-a-time.

Quote Originally Posted by Wendell View Post
    Yeah, that's what we thought, too. If I recall correctly, though, he had us do it one-at-a-time.
    That's somewhat less terrifying, but still really stupid. How do you guarantee that no rounds go over the berm, etc.?

I'd have left the range then and there and chalked up the course cost as a lesson learned in vetting. That "drill" as described fails on so many levels it isnt funny. Safety, human ergonomics, real world application and the ability to defend it legally are but a few that come to mind. The training world is a very small one, and I've never heard anything about this guy's classes that made me want to sign up for one. To be blunt, anymore I get more out of a day to half day seminar from a solid instructor than most two day (or longer) programs.

Glock Collective Assimile Suvorov's Avatar
    Escapee from the SF Bay Area now living on the Front Range of Colorado.
    Quote Originally Posted by olstyn View Post
    That sounds like a recipe for students shooting each other because not everyone runs at the same speed. In what world would that be considered to be even vaguely safe?
    In what scenario would that technique be remotely applicable to a civilian or LE self defense shooting barring Godzilla?

The story of this “drill” is astonishing.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Does Pincus' reasonable restrictions on gun possession include removing gun rights from stalkers?

Quote Originally Posted by Moylan View Post

I wonder what we know about the story of that target behind Pincus.
    The shooter is right-handed, at least.

Is Rob Pincus Anti-Gun? Let's Ask Him!

One 'drill' I remember had us start with our pistol out and up, the pistol pointing downrange at the paper target, and - at the signal - to start shooting and then to turn 180 degrees, uprange, and, facing uprange, to run full-speed uprange as we continued to shoot behind us, downrange, completely blind, at the target. (Yes, this really happened. No, I am not making this up.)

A 'drill' like that might tend to open up the groups a little.
    We did that drill, one at a time. I found it to be the most valuable part of the class (and there were few of those). I didn’t shoot it blind, and was able to put 13 rounds of .40 on target from my USPc while running. Fast. Nearly 20 years ago, that was a big eye opener for me, and taught me that it’s possible to shoot dynamically and effectively. Gabe White teaches this far better of course. But I give Pincus credit for showing it to me first.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

User Tag List