Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Is Rob Pincus Anti-Gun? Let's Ask Him!

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Moylan View Post
    At Project Appleseed events, we always begin the day's shooting with the redcoat target, and have shooters try to put three rounds into each of a series of decreasingly-sized targets. This is to measure where the students are starting from. At the end of the day, they shoot the same course of fire again. There are multiple reasons for this practice, but one of them is simply to say that we believe in our instruction, and we want to objectively put it to the test for our students. The improvement, generally, is remarkable.

I wouldn't want the first set of targets to be taken as representative of Appleseed marksmanship instruction. That wouldn't be reasonable or fair, would it?

I wonder what we know about the story of that target behind Pincus.
    If that's the case here, that's an awful lot of rounds to establish a (truly horrible) baseline, even back when ammo was cheap. There's no way for any of us to know the real story behind the target, but the fact that we have it is a lapse in Pincus' self promotion. I checked his bio on the ICE website and did a little other looking around. Apparently he sprang to life as a professional trainer when he was in his late 20s. The vague description of his career experience prior to that point does not convince me of his expertise. The report of how he treated a student reflects poorly on his professionalism. His support for background checks raises questions about his motivations. At this point, the only way I'd train with him would be if he gave me a case of ammo and promised not to talk too much.

Quote Originally Posted by pangloss View Post
    If that's the case here, that's an awful lot of rounds to establish a (truly horrible) baseline, even back when ammo was cheap. There's no way for any of us to know the real story behind the target, but the fact that we have it is a lapse in Pincus' self promotion. I checked his bio on the ICE website and did a little other looking around. Apparently he sprang to life as a professional trainer when he was in his late 20s. The vague description of his career experience prior to that point does not convince me of his expertise. The report of how he treated a student reflects poorly on his professionalism. His support for background checks raises questions about his motivations. At this point, the only way I'd train with him would be if he gave me a case of ammo and promised not to talk too much.
    At a John Murphy class in I think October of 2019, I stood next to a guy who shot at least as bad as whoever shot that Pincus target. Murphy and the AI spent basically all day (on and off obviously) trying to get that guy to shoot decently but he strongly refused. I wouldn't want that guy's target, even at the end of the day, to be taken to suggest that Murphy sucks as an instructor. I don't know where the Pincus picture came from. Did he put it online himself? Did someone else? I have no idea. But if he did it, I suppose one explanation might be that he recognizes his place as teaching new shooters. As someone in the earlier thread said, if you're an active member on PF, Pincus is probably not on your radar screen. There's a reason for that. Many reasons, maybe. But one of them is I take it he doesn't try to present himself as someone who is competing for students with Gabe White. I think mocking Pincus because his student shot that target is silly. There may be plenty of other reasons for mocking him. I dunno.
    O judgment! Thou art fled to brutish beasts, And men have lost their reason.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Moylan View Post
    At a John Murphy class in I think October of 2019, I stood next to a guy who shot at least as bad as whoever shot that Pincus target. Murphy and the AI spent basically all day (on and off obviously) trying to get that guy to shoot decently but he strongly refused. I wouldn't want that guy's target, even at the end of the day, to be taken to suggest that Murphy sucks as an instructor. I don't know where the Pincus picture came from. Did he put it online himself? Did someone else? I have no idea. But if he did it, I suppose one explanation might be that he recognizes his place as teaching new shooters. As someone in the earlier thread said, if you're an active member on PF, Pincus is probably not on your radar screen. There's a reason for that. Many reasons, maybe. But one of them is I take it he doesn't try to present himself as someone who is competing for students with Gabe White. I think mocking Pincus because his student shot that target is silly. There may be plenty of other reasons for mocking him. I dunno.
    As I said, there's no way for us to know the story behind the picture. That picture alone is certainly not sufficient reason to avoid training with him, but when I look at everything together, I do find some humor in it. I suppose the mystery is an element in that humor. Hopefully my enumerated criticisms were articulate enough to rise above mocking.

Far Upper Midwest. Lower Midwest When I Absolutely Have To
    I think we pretty much all agree he’s a douchenozzle, and at this point should simply carry on with our lives...

#shrug
    #moreimportantthingstobeconcernedabout
    Working diligently to enlarge my group size.

Quote Originally Posted by Wendell View Post
    One 'drill' I remember had us start with our pistol out and up, the pistol pointing downrange at the paper target, and - at the signal - to start shooting and then to turn 180 degrees, uprange, and, facing uprange, to run full-speed uprange as we continued to shoot behind us, downrange, completely blind, at the target. (Yes, this really happened. No, I am not making this up.)

A 'drill' like that might tend to open up the groups a little.
    Ok, so back up the train one second.

You are saying, you were running away from the target, continuing to shoot at a target, completely blind. I just want to repeat that:completely blind?

If so, Holy crap. Even I know that is all kinds of fucked up, and I'm barely out of diapers, firearms training wise.

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    Starting every drill with a purposeful “flinch” and raising of the hands was the strangest thing I’ve ever seen in several 100’s of hours of training.
    There was a club in my area that required something like that in their matches. I wonder if someone involved took one of this guy's classes and that's where they got the idea. I was considering going there to shoot a match a few years back until I dove into their website and read their rules and watched some of their video clips. They used IDPA as a starting point but added a bunch of their own idiosyncratic tweaks, and this one was the one that really stood out to me. As I recall, the protocol was on the buzzer, you had to shout out some sort of verbal challenge and play act a "startle response" by throwing your hands in the air above the shoulders before drawing and engaging targets. That was something I just couldn't see myself doing and something I certainly wouldn't want to ingrain as a habit.

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    We did that drill, one at a time. I found it to be the most valuable part of the class (and there were few of those). I didn’t shoot it blind, and was able to put 13 rounds of .40 on target from my USPc while running. Fast. Nearly 20 years ago, that was a big eye opener for me, and taught me that it’s possible to shoot dynamically and effectively. Gabe White teaches this far better of course. But I give Pincus credit for showing it to me first.
    Cluster I ask with all due respect, you're a much better shooter than I'll ever be, and I value your insight. I'm struggling to understand the mechanics of the drill? How does one run (hypothetically speaking) North, shoot South, and not shoot it blind? What was your sight picture like? Were you shooting one handed? Running with hips facing North, or bladed to the side? What distance was the drill started at, and finished?

Signed

Clumsy and Confused

Far Upper Midwest. Lower Midwest When I Absolutely Have To
    OK...forget my #post above. This is entertaining...

Please continue!! Lol
    Working diligently to enlarge my group size.

Is Rob Pincus Anti-Gun? Let's Ask Him!

Quote Originally Posted by OfficeCat View Post
    on the buzzer, you had to shout out some sort of verbal challenge and play act a "startle response" by throwing your hands in the air above the shoulders before drawing and engaging targets.
    WTF? What’s next? Throw your hands up, do the freakout dance, squeal, and pee your pants?
    Last edited by Clusterfrack; 04-03-2021 at 06:35 PM.
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie
    Shabbat shalom, motherf***ers! --Mordechai Jefferson Carver

Quote Originally Posted by Cheap Shot View Post
    Cluster I ask with all due respect, you're a much better shooter than I'll ever be, and I value your insight. I'm struggling to understand the mechanics of the drill? How does one run (hypothetically speaking) North, shoot South, and not shoot it blind? What was your sight picture like? Were you shooting one handed? Running with hips facing North, or bladed to the side? What distance was the drill started at, and finished?

Signed

Clumsy and Confused
    Start facing the target, draw, and while keeping your muzzle on target turn CCW by about 70deg. Move away from target while firing. Sight picture seems like alignment of the slide at best?

I have a hard time imagining a scenario where I would do that, but that’s the drill.
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie
    Shabbat shalom, motherf***ers! --Mordechai Jefferson Carver

User Tag List