Thread: RFI on this sword

RFI on this sword

Can someone tell me what this is? I've had it for 50 years and bought it in London. What's it worth? IIRC i paid about $175 for it. Looks like something from King George V and has Artillery on the blade. Appears to be a dress sword. All Nickel coated and no cutting edge.

Last edited by Borderland; 04-01-2021 at 07:53 PM.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Thanks. Looks like an 1821 pattern for Artillery officers. Has all the right emblems on the blade. God save the Queen.

Looks exactly like this one from your link.

I can't imagine being run thru by something like that. Bunch of civilized barbarians.
    Last edited by Borderland; 04-02-2021 at 03:54 PM.

Site Supporter
    That's great. If it's George V, it's post-1910. If you look on the ricasso (base of the blade), it may tell you the maker. I'd be interested to see, if you feel like posting another picture or two. I've gone down the rabbit hole on these a bit lately. It seems to be in really nice shape and could be worth some decent money - more if it's a known maker or has a provenance. Blunt doesn't really mean dress sword, by the way. They were all sold blunt and only sharpened if needed for service for the most part. Matt Easton has a video on the dress sword question.

Quote Originally Posted by Erik View Post
    That's great. If it's George V, it's post-1910. If you look on the ricasso (base of the blade), it may tell you the maker. I'd be interested to see, if you feel like posting another picture or two. I've gone down the rabbit hole on these a bit lately. It seems to be in really nice shape and could be worth some decent money - more if it's a known maker or has a provenance. Blunt doesn't really mean dress sword, by the way. They were all sold blunt and only sharpened if needed for service for the most part. Matt Easton has a video on the dress sword question.
    The maker appears to be Army and Navy Cooperative Society 105 Victoria London SW. That's at the base of the blade. The other side has a brass stamp recessed into a small oval inside a star but I can't read the stamp without cleaning it up. Might be a date of manufacture or something. Older than 1910 is close enough for me, I'm pretty sure it's older than I am.

I bought it in an antique store so I don't know where or who it came from. I probably could have got some info at the time but I never thought to ask.

User Tag List