Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Montana Gold Bullets?

I’ve loaded well over 150K of the 124 JHP over the last 5 years. I’ve also loaded a few cases of the FMJ and CMJ. All have extremely accurate, some of the best bullets I have loaded. I rank the right with the Gold Dots, XTP, HAP, and Delta Precision. As stated previously, the JHPs are considered non-expanding.

Lately he has only been building 124 and 115 JHPs. I need to get another case of CMJ and have not been able to catch any available.

Site Supporter
    Yes in a couple calibers. Excellent.

I've run through a case or two each of the 124 gr JHP and CMJ. I didn't specifically notice the CMJs producing worse accuracy than the JHPs like someone else mentioned in the thread, but it wouldn't shock me if the JHPs were better. I switched away from them to Blue Bullets for cost reasons - MGs are somewhere in the neighborhood of $100 more/case, and the coated bullets shoot just as well for me in my guns. I'd be unlikely to buy MGs again unless I was to get some kind of deal on them, but if I happen to pick up a $100 off certificate for them like I have twice in the past at match prize tables, I'd be happy to use them. I'm just not interested in paying full price.

A while ago I was at a steel match with a buddy who had recently switched to Open, and was working out his 9 major loads—using Montana Gold 115 HP bullets. I think he was running them above 1500fps. It was brutally loud.

Anyway, on the first stage, he fragged himself in the face and I ended up doing field surgery in the stat shack. A full jacket worth of gilding metal about the size of a .22 bullet ended up stuck halfway through his cheek. Total bloodbath, and my buddy couldn’t stop laughing. The dude holding my flashlight kept trying to pass out, so that was entertaining as well.
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie
    Shabbat shalom, motherf***ers! --Mordechai Jefferson Carver

Thanks everyone! This is good information. I have been shopping around lately because I am down to my last 800 124 grain bullets (I have a lot more 147s left). When I buy bullets usually I try to buy them in bulk so they can last me a while. Usually I will do 2-3 big (for me) orders to get my stash up and then go from there. I don't shoot pistols a ton because I shoot other guns as well. AR's, 5.56, 300BLK, .22LR, and soon to be 6 ARC and maybe some other stuff all take my time... er money too.

Previously I have used a lot of Xtreme bullets but they are from way back when the price was good. I don't think I will ever touch another one though after I run through the ones I have now. For a plated if you factor in shipping they want 4.5 cents more per bullet than what I can get Montana Gold or RMR bullets for, and theirs are jacketed. It's a total rip off now to try and go with Xtreme. Apparently they went defunct and another company bought out the name.

I am not familiar with other brands of bullets but it would be interesting to maybe create a master list of bullet manufacturers and put a sticky somewhere. That would be way cool. For people like me that will load up and then not have to shop for a year or two that would be very useful.

So far I've found RMR and Montana Gold to be very similar in price. I don't know of other options but I am looking around. I am not sure how much of the current pricing on things is influenced by the crazy train but pretty soon I will need to get another stash of 124 grain bullets.

Quote Originally Posted by alamo5000 View Post
    I don't know of other options but I am looking around. I am not sure how much of the current pricing on things is influenced by the crazy train but pretty soon I will need to get another stash of 124 grain bullets.
    Unless you're married to the idea of jacketed bullets for some reason, I would suggest looking at the various coated options - they will save you several cents/round, which adds up quickly when you're talking about buying in case quantities. I personally like Blue Bullets, but just about all of the coated options have their dedicated fans - it's just a matter of finding one that's a color you're ok with and a bullet profile that plays nice with your guns.

Quote Originally Posted by olstyn View Post
    Unless you're married to the idea of jacketed bullets for some reason, I would suggest looking at the various coated options - they will save you several cents/round, which adds up quickly when you're talking about buying in case quantities. I personally like Blue Bullets, but just about all of the coated options have their dedicated fans - it's just a matter of finding one that's a color you're ok with and a bullet profile that plays nice with your guns.
    I am not really married to anything. I shot my first coated bullets about a year ago when I got some for 300 BLK. I've never tried them in pistols but I am totally open to that idea. The ammo that I am using these for is plinking/practice ammo. Like I said though, by experience with coated bullets is limited to my 1K round experiment in 300BLK. At first I got rings of lead in my chamber but after a while I started seating them a bit longer and it went away. I will probably buy some of those Blue Bullets and try them out before making a final decision. I don't have any real reason not to use them. I've never heard of Blue Bullets until you mentioned them. They are definitely cheaper.

Coming to the table late on this one, but I agree with those who have endorsed the 124 gr. FMJ, CMJ, and especially the JHP bullets in caliber 9mm from Montana Gold.

And I have had excellent results with their 230 gr. FMJ bullets in caliber .45 as well.

I've used the 9mm's in Glock, CZ, Dan Wesson, Wilson Combat, Springfield, STI, and Sig pistols.

And the 45's in Glock, CZ, Dan Wesson, Ed Brown, Springfield, Colt, and Ruger pistols.

Quote Originally Posted by alamo5000 View Post
    I will probably buy some of those Blue Bullets and try them out before making a final decision. I don't have any real reason not to use them. I've never heard of Blue Bullets until you mentioned them. They are definitely cheaper.
    Yeah, grab a sample pack from them and maybe one or two other coated bullet vendors and you'll most likely find something you like. The one thing to be careful of is that you may need to change how much you're belling cases in order to avoid having the case mouth cut into the coating when you seat the bullets. It's not a terribly difficult adjustment to make, but it's something to be aware of.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    One detail I researched a long time ago is the hardness of cartridge brass (~10% zinc) and gilding metal (~5% zinc). Turns out the brass is significantly harder. Therefore, I generally avoid using bullets that use yellow brass for their jackets. It may not wear out a barrel noticeably quicker (like, for example, copper-plated steel jackets on commie stuff), but it's directionally wrong, and I would expect to be able to see a clear difference after 50 or 100k rounds.

YMMV, and you're shooting your guns, not mine, so do what you like.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

User Tag List