Thread: Front Sight improvement mod on the Wiley Clapp

Front Sight improvement mod on the Wiley Clapp

My WC came with a misshaped blob for a front sight which caused me to get a weird sight picture and the fiber just seemed dim. I ordered in a replacement pack of different colors from Tru-Glo and was looking for a YouTube vid on replacement just so I could prevent any screwups. I found the how to from Dawson's https://youtu.be/1Mx2Hg06Q4Y In it he talks about how their FO sights are counter sunk and I got an idea that I could do that to the Ruger sights.

I have a couple of take offs that I used to practice with and I saved the best for when I screwed up. The hole in the sight is 5/64". I counter sunk the first one using a 3/32 bit and that size did not give enough bead on the FO to keep from pulling through. The next size up is 13/128" and it worked perfectly. I didn't even attempt the 7/64", the blade is 8/64" thick.

I sunk it deep enough to where the bead is just a hair proud of the blade. I now have a perfectly round sight and it appears brighter than factory. In my rush I forgot to hit the bare metal with cold blue, I will fix that when I try different colors that come in the replacement pack.

Now for the crappy cell phone photos.

That is about an ideal sight picture for old guy F&F work. Nice hack.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

I just came in from shooting and this simple mod/fix to the front sight made it 1000 times better. Sharp, clear sight picture and the FO did not wash out in todays bright sun. I tried to shoot a couple drills but the timer app for a phone just straight up suxs.

I experimented with speed loaders. I like the Safariland Comp-Is for the SP101 but I found the Comp=IIs for the GP100 harder to release/activate. I have a Comp-III on the way but I am concerned about its length. I have HKS twisties for both and they work well in both guns. If I cant find a way to improve the Comp-IIs and the IIIs don't work out, I will default to the twist type and try the 5-Star and Pachmayrs.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Set up a fleabay search for Jet Loaders. I've managed to accumulate enough of them at reasonable prices that way.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    Set up a fleabay search for Jet Loaders. I've managed to accumulate enough of them at reasonable prices that way.

I am interested and have been searching. The cheapest I have found them is $32 plus shipping but because I have spent a lot in the last couple of weeks on gun, ammo support gear and other stuff, I am going to have to hold off until my bank account can come up for air. so when I order I can get 2 for the SP and 2 for the WC. It shouldn't be long until I can.

Far Upper Midwest. Lower Midwest When I Absolutely Have To
    Same issue here. Toss me a bone and try not to laugh too much...

So...where are you countersinking with the 13/128? You’re going from the frame side drilling forward corrrect? Do you then stop at the last “segment” of the front blade nearest the muzzle? How are you securing the FO optics tube then?

I’m not an idiot. Honest. I just can’t figure this one out and I don’t want to f-up my front blade.

More pictures fine, crayons optional....

Thanks
    Working diligently to enlarge my group size.

Quote Originally Posted by entropy View Post
    Same issue here. Toss me a bone and try not to laugh too much...

So...where are you countersinking with the 13/128? You’re going from the frame side drilling forward corrrect? Do you then stop at the last “segment” of the front blade nearest the muzzle? How are you securing the FO optics tube then?

I’m not an idiot. Honest. I just can’t figure this one out and I don’t want to f-up my front blade.

More pictures fine, crayons optional....

Thanks

Watch this video from Dawson Precision helps to understand the process. https://youtu.be/1Mx2Hg06Q4Y

I used these for replacement, the orange is good for testing purposes. Diameter is .078. Amazon.com : TRUGLO Replacement Fibers for Firearm and Archery Fiber Optic Sights : Sports & Outdoors

I did the aiming side of the sight so that would make the direction chamber to muzzle. As for the depth I only went as deep as the bulb on the fiber was thick. 1.5 mm maybe... you can see the shiny part on the test piece here,

FO bulb

It didn't take much to counter bore in. I had plenty of FO so I went slow until I got the depth I wanted.

If you want, PM me your address and I will send you the test sight that is already done. I have others .
    Last edited by Crazy Dane; 04-06-2021 at 03:17 PM.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Quote Originally Posted by Crazy Dane View Post
    I am interested and have been searching. The cheapest I have found them is $32 plus shipping but because I have spent a lot in the last couple of weeks on gun, ammo support gear and other stuff, I am going to have to hold off until my bank account can come up for air. so when I order I can get 2 for the SP and 2 for the WC. It shouldn't be long until I can.
    It may take six months or a year, but the deal comes when someone is clearing out an estate sale or something and not trying to maximize every penny on each sale. You'll feel like you should buy a lottery ticket.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    It may take six months or a year, but the deal comes when someone is clearing out an estate sale or something and not trying to maximize every penny on each sale. You'll feel like you should buy a lottery ticket.

It may take a while to fill the karma bank back up. I used a lot by getting the WC for the price that I did and a case of ammo from federal before they limited the purchase to 2 boxes and raised the price.

But I'm looking

User Tag List