Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What about an Undershirt?

I've been wearing some variation of the Under Armour Tech Tee since 2003/4. Tried lots of other stuff, but these have a great balance of slickness, not smelling, durability, and they stay put relatively well.

https://www.underarmour.com/en-us/p/...dCrumbLast=Men
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

Believe it or not the Wally-World branded athletic undershirts [I believe they are called George] are cut kinda long and stay tucked.
    Started wearing them daily whilst toting the M&P 2.0, due to the grip texture. They work for me, keeping the Tenicor and grip/body of the 1911 fairly sweat free, and me, rash free.
    "... And miles to go before I sleep".

I'm 6'4" and had the same problem until I discovered Duluth Trading Company undershirts. They are pricey, but worth it. They have longer than normal tails, but shorter sleeves so they don't poke out from under the sleeves of short sleeved shirts. They have ones similar to under armour material (Armachillo), a waffle/breathable (Buck naked), and a cotton (free range). I have all three types depending on what I'm doing and the weather and have been very satisfied with all of them.
    Using Tapatalk

For daily wear, I do the Duluth Buck Naked tanks (https://www.duluthtrading.com/mens-b...ar-undershirts). They’ve held up great after several years of wear. I sized down to get a next-to-skin (though not compression) fit, and they are still plenty long enough to stay tucked in well. That said, the waffle weave doesn’t do great with repeated drawing from concealment, especially not with a more aggressive stipple job. For range days I switch to sleeveless UA HeatGear shirts (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08GLN9BRP...6RWGAJWXVVRGH9). They do tend to pill a bit from repeated drawing, but I have four on rotation and I’ve yet to put a hole through any of them. And yeah, tuck ‘em into your underwear. It helps.

Bumping this to see if the op or anyone else tried any of these and if so what you think.

I’ve been wearing Hanes “wife beaters” 95% of the time, and v-necks the other 5%, for the last 30+ years and I’m getting annoyed with the wife-beaters for daily wear now that I’m dressing a little nicer (dress pants and shirts M-Th).

I’m thinking I want a v neck, short-sleeve, solution that’s relatively tight to the body but/and also suitable for Florida heat, that stays tucked under the dress shirts but also for 4 o’clock IWB carry.

Leaning towards UA simply because I’ve had such good history with their underwear. Also need to buy something like 10-15 of these things eventually so not trying to buy $30/ea undershirts…
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

Site Supporter
    Rob S

While mid Mo is not Fla re heat and humidity, it is a consideration, May-Sept here.

I think any Hanes/Fruit of the Loom/Big box brand Cotton/Poly blend shirt is going to be adequate for your stated use. I fully concur that a tank top/"wife beater is unsat day in day out as the lack of fabric makes for sweated out, stinkier pits v a full t-shirt. Oxy Clean is your friend when washing any poly underwear to knock out foul smells.

I tend to buy these things 6-8 at a time, wear them for a year max, knowing they are simply a consumable. The old ones get re purposed as rags, cleaning cloths, shoe shine stuff or are simply given away to Goodwill etc. They typically price out at 5ish per shirt max when purchased in a multi-pack. My t-shirt of choice has been the Costco/Kirkland brand of late but they do not sell a cotton/poly blend in store in my market.

https://www.hanes.com/cffwv3.html

https://www.hanes.com/hanes-ultimate...ck-uft2w4.html

YMMV
    I am not your attorney. I am not giving legal advice. Any and all opinions expressed are personal and my own and are not those of any employer-past, present or future.

I like the Gildan CoolBlend 50:50 poly:cotton. A little longer than many and not expensive.
    Only drawback is that they do not offer a long sleeve with pocket for wear as a shirt.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

Quote Originally Posted by vcdgrips View Post
    Rob S

While mid Mo is not Fla re heat and humidity, it is a consideration, May-Sept here.

I think any Hanes/Fruit of the Loom/Big box brand Cotton/Poly blend shirt is going to be adequate for your stated use. I fully concur that a tank top/"wife beater is unsat day in day out as the lack of fabric makes for sweated out, stinkier pits v a full t-shirt. Oxy Clean is your friend when washing any poly underwear to knock out foul smells.

I tend to buy these things 6-8 at a time, wear them for a year max, knowing they are simply a consumable. The old ones get re purposed as rags, cleaning cloths, shoe shine stuff or are simply given away to Goodwill etc. They typically price out at 5ish per shirt max when purchased in a multi-pack. My t-shirt of choice has been the Costco/Kirkland brand of late but they do not sell a cotton/poly blend in store in my market.

https://www.hanes.com/cffwv3.html

https://www.hanes.com/hanes-ultimate...ck-uft2w4.html

YMMV
    Got some of these in a large. I’m 6’ and about 190. Right out of the package, they are too loose by a mile but I’ll wash them and see.

They are super long. That may also shrink up, and that would be a good thing, since they may be so long right now as to bunch up in the crotch.

Will see what they fit like after a washing, and maybe I’ll just have to get a medium to try if they are still too large post-washing.
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

Site Supporter
    Rob-s

If those are 100% cotton, washed in hot water and dried hot, they may shrink up a enough. If there are mostly synthetic, I would doubt it.

The impatient person in me would order the mediums straight away.

I am 6' 2-3", 205ish and have historically sized down from an XL to an L in this application. I wear a 44 L jacket.
    I should have posted up my specs and sizing thoughts. I apologize, Sir.

DB
    I am not your attorney. I am not giving legal advice. Any and all opinions expressed are personal and my own and are not those of any employer-past, present or future.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    Bumping this to see if the op or anyone else tried any of these and if so what you think.

I’ve been wearing Hanes “wife beaters” 95% of the time, and v-necks the other 5%, for the last 30+ years and I’m getting annoyed with the wife-beaters for daily wear now that I’m dressing a little nicer (dress pants and shirts M-Th).

I’m thinking I want a v neck, short-sleeve, solution that’s relatively tight to the body but/and also suitable for Florida heat, that stays tucked under the dress shirts but also for 4 o’clock IWB carry.

Leaning towards UA simply because I’ve had such good history with their underwear. Also need to buy something like 10-15 of these things eventually so not trying to buy $30/ea undershirts…
    I’d suggest looking into Mr Davis undershirts

https://mrdavis.com/best-undershirt

@Duke recommended them here a couple of years ago, and now it’s the only thing I’d consider wearing under my uniform shirts for work, summer or winter. Good fit (with an “athletic fit” option that works for me). Fitted and cool enough in the summer. I ordered a M athletic fit, and hadn’t worn anything smaller than a L since middle school.

User Tag List