Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Beretta 92 Drop Safety?

Are you certain that you didn't get your butter fingers on the hammer when you dropped it?
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Site Supporter
    I have shot these guns for years. My gut tells me that inertia did not cock the hammer. Neither did it move the slide back far enough to cock the hammer.

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    This.

The slide is a different story. I don't have a DA/SA Beretta, but I tried this with a Sig P226. Loaded two snap caps in the mag, ran the slide to put one in the chamber. Pulled the slide back slowly until the click of the cocking into single action. The case head was nowhere near the ejector. The case mouth was actually still in the chamber, and the snap cap in the mag was still controlled downward by the slide.

So if the relevant geometries are sufficiently similar, and I reckon they are, when you dropped the gun muzzle-up, the slide moved back far enough to cock the hammer due to its inertia, and then slid back into battery. No mystery, nothing wrong with the gun, no chance of it firing unless you follow up by actuating the trigger.

Decock it and try not to drop your gun so much.
    This

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I see the Elite LTT comes with a standard decocker. If you want the decocker/safety you can add that at the time of your order. I guess this incident would be an argument for the decocker/safety. On my commercial M9 I have the safety on and shoot it that way at the range when drawn from the holster.

As stated, the firing pin safety stops the forward motion of the firing pin. Not saying this didn't happen.....just looks like a "perfect storm" of events took place to give the results you described.

User Tag List