Page 37 of 37 FirstFirst ... 27353637

Thread: Chauvin trial

Site Supporter
    Why don't we donate to his cause? Yes. I think he screwed up, but he but does not deserve being railroaded. Society bends over backwards to pay for defense of child molesters, rapists, and wife beaters.

Quote Originally Posted by willie View Post
    Why don't we donate to his cause? Yes. I think he screwed up, but he but does not deserve being railroaded. Society bends over backwards to pay for defense of child molesters, rapists, and wife beaters.
    As a practical matter, you can expect to be doxxed and subjected to various forms of harassment. If you’re employed, that harassment will reach your employer - who will be placed under tremendous pressure to fire you. That of course assumes the various crowdfunding sites allow any sort of fundraising for him - they almost certainly will not.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by ssb View Post
    As a practical matter, you can expect to be doxxed and subjected to various forms of harassment. If you’re employed, that harassment will reach your employer - who will be placed under tremendous pressure to fire you. That of course assumes the various crowdfunding sites allow any sort of fundraising for him - they almost certainly will not.
    I had not thought of this aspect. The only thing this man deserves is a fair trial. I want to go on record as not condoning his actions.

In other news, even as his state murder conviction is awaiting appeal, he’s apparently already agreed to a plea on Fed civil rights charges. Pretty eyeball-popping sentence, IMHO.

https://www.axios.com/2022/05/04/der...lis&stream=top

The judge presiding over former Minneapolis police officer Derek Chauvin's federal civil rights case in the killing of George Floyd said Wednesday that he has accepted Chauvin's plea agreement and will sentence him to 20 to 25 years in prison, the Star Tribune reports.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

I believe that at the Federal level, it was potentially a death penalty case due to an individual allegedly dying due to actions that were a result of the alleged deprivation of civil rights under the color of authority. I’m not a lawyer but I could see taking that plea to avoid that extra issue to have to deal with during appeals.

Jason

Site Supporter
    Fuck this job

22 years in .....Blood sweat tears PTSD

they get the policing they deserve

Let them burn it to the ground

Im done

Anyone staying in this job is one bad call away from a criminal indictment and losing everything

Site Supporter
    Jason says:

"I believe that at the Federal level, it was potentially a death penalty case due to an individual allegedly dying due to actions that were a result of the alleged deprivation of civil rights under the color of authority. I’m not a lawyer but I could see taking that plea to avoid that extra issue to have to deal with during appeals.

Jason"

Even in the environment that we find ourselves in, this was never a death penalty case. Period. End of Subject. Full Stop. It was simply never on the table.

At the expense of nit picking, there is nothing "alleged" about an individual dying due to actions that were the result of the "alleged" deprivation of civil rights under the color of authority. The defendant pled guilty to that charge and admitted to such conduct in a written plea agreement. As such the term "alleged" is wholly inappropriate at this stage of the case.
    I am not your attorney. I am not giving legal advice. Any and all opinions expressed are personal and my own and are not those of any employer-past, present or future.

Quote Originally Posted by vcdgrips View Post
    Jason says:

"I believe that at the Federal level, it was potentially a death penalty case due to an individual allegedly dying due to actions that were a result of the alleged deprivation of civil rights under the color of authority. I’m not a lawyer but I could see taking that plea to avoid that extra issue to have to deal with during appeals.

Jason"

Even in the environment that we find ourselves in, this was never a death penalty case. Period. End of Subject. Full Stop. It was simply never on the table.

At the expense of nit picking, there is nothing "alleged" about an individual dying due to actions that were the result of the "alleged" deprivation of civil rights under the color of authority. The defendant pled guilty to that charge and admitted to such conduct in a written plea agreement. As such the term "alleged" is wholly inappropriate at this stage of the case.
    You are correct, he plead guilty. I was wrong and worded that poorly, I was not questioning that a person died. I have heartburn over the situation but you are correct.

About the death penalty issue, are you saying DOJ wasn’t seeking (or threatening to seek it ) or that I’m miss reading the potential punishments for being found guilty of violating someone’s civil rights under the color of authority resulting in death?

Jason

Site Supporter
    Jason says:
    "About the death penalty issue, are you saying DOJ wasn’t seeking (or threatening to seek it ) or that I’m miss reading the potential punishments for being found guilty of violating someone’s civil rights under the color of authority resulting in death?"

1. I acknowledge that it is a listed penalty in the statute -18 USC 242
    2. Typically, in order to get a death sentence in a homicide, you have to act with the intent to kill from the very beginning. That was not the case here as it was charged.
    3. A review of the electronic filings yielded no notice of intent to seek the death penalty in any charging document.
    4. A review of the plea agreement indicates that the maximum the defendant faced under charging document was life.
    5. A further review shows that despite the advisory sentencing guidelines suggesting a sentence of life, the parties agree that the judge will sentence between 20 and 25 years. Indeed, under the plea, if the judge were to fail to do so, in this case , either party would be allowed to withdraw his plea. See FRCP 11 (c)1(C)

https://www.upi.com/Top_News/US/2022...3411651693653/

6. All federal death penalty prosecutions must be approved by Main Justice in Washington DC after consultation with both the prosecution and the defense.

https://capitalpunishmentincontext.org/issues/expansion

I happen to prosecute in a district where we have tried at least 6 such cases in the last 25ish years. IIRC they were as follows:
    a. Contract killing of a indebted drug dealer who had been approached about cooperating
    b. Defendant who crossed state lines, kidnapped and killed a child (def. executed)
    c. Defendant who kidnapped and killed female over a domestic situation. Defendant had been convicted of murder in state court in a previous unrelated case. (def executed)
    d. Female defendant who stalked an expectant mother, killed the mother and performed a cesarean to birth and kidnap the child. (def executed)
    e. HIV positive defendant who killed partner (both in crime and in love) after becoming aware that partner likely infected defendant with HIV and was seeking to cooperate in a bank robbery case that was being investigated against the partner and the defendant.
    f. two defendants killed a third prisoner who was been treated for mental health issues at the Federal Medical Center for the BOP in Springfield Mo.

In short, all of the above examples involve far more volitional and premeditated behavior. That coupled with the fairly cumbersome procedures in place to ensure some uniformity in the process led me to to state so unequivocally that the death penalty was never in play in the federal Chauvin case.
    Last edited by vcdgrips; 05-30-2022 at 01:03 AM.
    I am not your attorney. I am not giving legal advice. Any and all opinions expressed are personal and my own and are not those of any employer-past, present or future.

Quote Originally Posted by vcdgrips View Post
    Jason says:
    "
    f. two defendants killed a third prisoner who was been treated for mental health issues at the Federal Medical Center for the BOP in Springfield Mo.

In short, all of the above examples involve far more volitional and premeditated behavior. That coupled with the fairly cumbersome procedures in place to ensure some uniformity in the process led me to to state so unequivocally that the death penalty was never in play in the federal Chauvin case.
    Thanks for taking the time to write that out. As an aside with F, I believe I spoke with one of the prosecutors on that years prior in his office in the big black tower. I unfortunately was not helpful, documenting large sum vs an exact amount, while sufficient for my purposes, did not help him. And the person it would have further inconvenienced deserved it.

Jason

User Tag List