Page 3 of 37 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Chauvin trial

Quote Originally Posted by DrkBlue View Post
    The City, who defunded and then refunded the police, settling with the family for $27m during the trial?
    No way that taints potential jurors, correct?
    That was in fact discussed during jury selection. I think the only reason the judge's decision to deny the defense's request for a change of venue makes any sense at all is that you'd have to move the trial to somewhere TVs and the internet don't exist to get a completely untainted jury pool.

Quote Originally Posted by olstyn View Post
    That was in fact discussed during jury selection. I think the only reason the judge's decision to deny the defense's request for a change of venue makes any sense at all is that you'd have to move the trial to somewhere TVs and the internet don't exist to get a completely untainted jury pool.
    I disagree. Moving several counties away will get you a jury pool that probably has little to no experience with MPD. Chauvin is the face of the trial but in a way, MPD is on trial as well.
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

Site Supporter
    The jury pool in Minneapolis certainly realizes that insurrection will occur in their community if Chauvin is not convicted. They will also be under threat if Chauvin isn't convicted. I think Minneapolis jury members will vote to convict regardless. In another venue, jurors might judge on the basis of the case.

Truth be told, Chauvin strikes me as a bit of a jerk. If his technique was Minneapolis PD protocol and he had used it multiple times in the past without lethal consequences, I think it would be difficult to prove murder to an impartial jury (which I doubt he has). If I were the prosecutor, I would lean toward the two minutes he allegedly maintained his position after another officer told Chauvin he could not find a pulse.

Of curse, we're coming up on the summer riot season no matter what happens. Thank goodness so many experienced officers are postponing retirements until social workers start running calls and all those recruits we're hired have finished entry-level and field training. Wait! What....? But I thought we were woke and everything would be OK. You know..different, but somehow the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Lon View Post
    I disagree. Moving several counties away will get you a jury pool that probably has little to no experience with MPD. Chauvin is the face of the trial but in a way, MPD is on trial as well.
    Certainly you're right that it would be better, but I don't see him getting a truly fair trial basically anywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by DrkBlue View Post
    The City, who defunded and then refunded the police, settling with the family for $27m during the trial?
    No way that taints potential jurors, correct?
    Exactly. City already admitted guilt with that huge settlement. That only leaves one question which is the sentence.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Quote Originally Posted by Borderland View Post
    Exactly. City already admitted guilt with that huge settlement. That only leaves one question which is the sentence.
    Maybe. The one out for Chauvin is if the defense can shift blame to the dept, training, culture, and policy. It’s a long shot, but it’s not like MPD didn’t already hold the record for largest wrongful death payout in history before George Floyd became a thing.

But God only knows. It’ll be interesting to see what shit sticks to who in all this, when the trial wraps up.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

I was curious about bench trials in MN so I looked it up. Here’s what there statute is:

(c) Waiver Necessitated by Prejudicial Publicity. The defendant must be permitted to waive a jury trial whenever the court determines:
    (i) the defendant knowingly and voluntarily waived that right; and
    (ii) reason exists to believe that, because of the dissemination of potentially prejudicial material, the waiver must be granted to assure a fair trial.
    I’d say (ii) was met. 😳
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

Put your money on this:

-Chauvin will be convicted at least on manslaughter charge.

-Rioting will occur even if he is convicted.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Site Supporter

PD Chief: Prosecution Witness

Chauvin's Chief is testifying against him. I had never heard of that move before. That sounds as if the Chief is tending to his own career.

Quote Originally Posted by Hambo View Post
    Put your money on this:

-Chauvin will be convicted at least on manslaughter charge.

-Rioting will occur even if he is convicted.
    Those are my exact expectations. I don't see the state being able to prove the intent aspect of the murder charges, but manslaughter seems like a fairly easy "out" for the jury. I expect rioting to occur based on the "justification" that manslaughter isn't enough to be considered justice. (I'm sure the rioters would come up with some other justification for rioting in nearly any circumstance, even a conviction on all charges.)

User Tag List