Page 1 of 33 12311 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 330

Thread: Chauvin trial

  1. #1
    Member Lon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Dayton, Ohio

    Chauvin trial

    Didnít see a LE specific thread on this trial and figured Iíd start one since testimony began yesterday. I canít watch any of it live since Iím at a weeks long training course, but Iíve been following Andrew Brancaís Law of Self Defense blog coverage of the trial. I know some of you are not impressed by him, but his coverage has been interesting. You donít have to be a member to see the blog info for the trial.

    After reading the coverage of voir dire, I wonder why the hell Chauvin didnít opt for a bench trial. Canít believe the judge didnít dismiss some of the jurors for cause.

    I also was interested to see his defense is using the same expert from the trial of Chicago PD Ofc Jason Van Dyke. The blog has a video of this experts testimony in the van Dyke case. I wasnít impressed.

    Any thoughts if your watching?

    https://lawofselfdefense.com/blog/
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

  2. #2
    Accused M&P Cultist Joe in PNG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Papua New Guinea; formerly Florida
    Powerline is also covering the trial
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

  3. #3
    I Demand Pie Lex Luthier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Pig's Eye, MN
    Oh, I'm paying close attention.
    There are a lot of examples of "dogs that did not bark" so far.
    "Roy, have ye got the hammer?"
    "Always got the hammer, Tommie."

    You should always have a second granola bar in case the first one jams!

  4. #4
    Member Lon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Dayton, Ohio
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe in PNG View Post
    Powerline is also covering the trial
    Thanks. Iíll watch that one as well.
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

  5. #5
    Catching what I can of it.
    One point, if the the Judge clears the courtroom to admonish you as a witness, than you best take heed of his "advice".
    I'm not really sure why the EMT is there in uniform, she was off duty at the time of the incident, had no official involvement in the case. She seems long on opinion and short on facts. I don't see where she added much for the State.

    I'm a bit worried that we are at a pivotal point in our justice system with this trial. Either the jury performs as a jury should, or they fold under the intense pressure for "justice" that the under/un/misinformed are clamoring for. If they acquiesce to the mob, then going forward we should just conduct trials through Facebook, and let mob rule prevail.

    That's about all I'm going to say opinion wise on the public side of this forum.
    "And for a regular dude Iím maybe okay...but what I learned is if thereís a door, Iím going out it not in it"-Duke
    "Just because a girl sleeps with her brother doesn't mean she's easy..."-Blues

  6. #6
    Kinetic Clusterf*ck Guerrero's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    Deep Blue WI
    Quote Originally Posted by wvincent View Post
    Catching what I can of it.
    One point, if the the Judge clears the courtroom to admonish you as a witness, than you best take heed of his "advice".
    I'm not really sure why the EMT is there in uniform, she was off duty at the time of the incident, had no official involvement in the case. She seems long on opinion and short on facts. I don't see where she added much for the State.

    I'm a bit worried that we are at a pivotal point in our justice system with this trial. Either the jury performs as a jury should, or they fold under the intense pressure for "justice" that the under/un/misinformed are clamoring for. If they acquiesce to the mob, then going forward we should just conduct trials through Facebook, and let mob rule prevail.

    That's about all I'm going to say opinion wise on the public side of this forum.
    "Properly understood, 'justice' is not an outcome but a process, and its achievement is wholly contingent upon the details of each case. We secure 'justice' both when an innocent man walks free and when a guilty man is convicted. Determining which is which is the whole ball of wax."
    "A harmless man is not a good man. A good man is a very, very dangerous man who has it under voluntary control."
    --Jordan Peterson

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Guerrero View Post
    "Properly understood, 'justice' is not an outcome but a process, and its achievement is wholly contingent upon the details of each case. We secure 'justice' both when an innocent man walks free and when a guilty man is convicted. Determining which is which is the whole ball of wax."
    No argument from me at all.
    But, with this trial in particular, it appears the Wokey Woke's want to circumvent the process, and just get straight to their version of "justice".

    Case inpoint:
    https://www.foxnews.com/entertainmen...-chauvin-trial

    "So pathetic that there is a trial to prove that Derek Chauvin killed George Floyd when there is video of him doing so," Handler, 46, wrote.

    The above quote kind of says a lot, I think.
    I found it "interesting" that the State led the trial with so much use of "feels" and moral outrage, and not with accredited experts.
    But, I'm not an attorney, so I don't know what I don't know.

    Kind of telling when I have to really hold back on my thoughts on this Forum.
    "And for a regular dude Iím maybe okay...but what I learned is if thereís a door, Iím going out it not in it"-Duke
    "Just because a girl sleeps with her brother doesn't mean she's easy..."-Blues

  8. #8
    Kinetic Clusterf*ck Guerrero's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    Deep Blue WI
    Quote Originally Posted by wvincent View Post
    No argument from me at all.
    But, with this trial in particular, it appears the Wokey Woke's want to circumvent the process, and just get straight to their version of "justice".

    Case inpoint:
    https://www.foxnews.com/entertainmen...-chauvin-trial

    "So pathetic that there is a trial to prove that Derek Chauvin killed George Floyd when there is video of him doing so," Handler, 46, wrote.

    The above quote kind of says a lot, I think.
    I found it "interesting" that the State led the trial with so much use of "feels" and moral outrage, and not with accredited experts.
    But, I'm not an attorney, so I don't know what I don't know.

    Kind of telling when I have to really hold back on my thoughts on this Forum.
    You could ask to have the thread moved to the Coterie Club.
    "A harmless man is not a good man. A good man is a very, very dangerous man who has it under voluntary control."
    --Jordan Peterson

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Guerrero View Post
    You could ask to have the thread moved to the Coterie Club.
    Nah, this thread was started by one of our LE Professionals in their sub-forum, I will just remain a polite guest and roll with it.
    "And for a regular dude Iím maybe okay...but what I learned is if thereís a door, Iím going out it not in it"-Duke
    "Just because a girl sleeps with her brother doesn't mean she's easy..."-Blues

  10. #10
    Site Supporter Maple Syrup Actual's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Northern Fur Seal Team Six
    Very curious to see how this trial develops.

    When I watched the video, I can't say it struck me at the time as particularly lethal treatment in the absence of complicating factors i.e. the drugs that were later found in Floyd's system. I'm also generally of the opinion that getting into an altercation on the street is taking your life in your hands, so choose accordingly.

    I don't follow what the laws of that jurisdiction are at all so my opinions don't really relate to the legality of the situation, about which I have basically no idea. I can understand if there's a duty of care argument there once the guy is in custody or whatever, I don't know how that works for Chauvin. But it seems, as a complete outsider, that they're looking for a conviction on the basis of him not coming off like a decent human being, rather than being directly responsible for the death. It's totally possible that this is well established and I just haven't heard about it, but I haven't personally seen anything showing a direct link between the restraint and the death.

    When I say personally, I mean I'm drawing the distinction that I haven't really been following it so I haven't seen information, I'm not suggesting that the information doesn't exist, or does exist but is underreported. I'm just saying that I'm not personally aware of information that indicates that.
    I designed a boat and now I'm building it. This is where that's happening:

    https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....ilding-a-skiff

User Tag List

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •