Page 28 of 37 FirstFirst ... 182627282930 ... LastLast

Thread: Chauvin trial

Quote Originally Posted by Erick Gelhaus View Post
    Is there anyone here with a solid knowledge of MN criminal law?

Out here, if the defendant was convicted of 2nd Degree Murder, any lesser but included charge would have been off of the table. How can someone be convicted of Murder 2, Murder 3, and Manslaughter 2? It looks like he was convicted of three separate deaths.
    That does seem logically inconsistent. The only thing I have to add is that one of the articles linked earlier in the thread gave an explanation that if convicted on all 3, his sentencing would only reflect the most severe one.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Erick Gelhaus View Post
    Is there anyone here with a solid knowledge of MN criminal law?

Out here, if the defendant was convicted of 2nd Degree Murder, any lesser but included charge would have been off of the table. How can someone be convicted of Murder 2, Murder 3, and Manslaughter 2? It looks like he was convicted of three separate deaths.
    I don't have any knowledge base at MN law, but did find this statute:

609.04 CONVICTION OF LESSER OFFENSE.
    Subdivision 1.Lesser offense prosecution. Upon prosecution for a crime, the actor may be convicted of either the crime charged or an included offense, but not both. An included offense may be any of the following:
    (1) a lesser degree of the same crime; or

(2) an attempt to commit the crime charged; or

(3) an attempt to commit a lesser degree of the same crime; or

(4) a crime necessarily proved if the crime charged were proved; or

(5) a petty misdemeanor necessarily proved if the misdemeanor charge were proved.

Subd. 2.Conviction; bar to prosecution. A conviction or acquittal of a crime is a bar to further prosecution of any included offense, or other degree of the same crime.
    (emphasis added)

So, I would assume the jury gives their decision for each charge, but then the court only enters the highest charge found, but that is just an assumption on my part.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Quote Originally Posted by Lex Luthier View Post
    The Democrat power players think they can ride this tiger by mouthing the right platitudes. Meanwhile the revolutionaries are sharpening their knives.
    yep, ultimately everyone, even Robespierre, is found to be insufficiently dedicated to the cause. the Jacobins eventually consume themselves

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    Like many large organizations, problems often get shuffled instead of fixed. Especially if someone up the chain likes them, or doesn't want the blemish of having an underling fired. Just like the military, there's some fucking idiots who make it on board and then nobody wants to nut up and bounce them. If you're low in the chain and try to bounce them, keep your originals. The paperwork above you may not look anything like what you submitted. So I hear.
    and you'd know this how? LOL

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    The single most common denominator in these "controversial" uses of force is that someone decided to flight/fight the police while doing something illegal....however, society has been convinced that it's the police officer who is always responsible for the decedent's actions. As far as Chauvin, I can reasonably see MN's Murder III statute or manslaughter sticking due to continued restraint of the subject past when a reasonable officer would consider it necessary, and especially past when other officers reported he had no pulse. How that reaches to Murder 1 or 2 is beyond me, however, and in my opinion can only be explained by the fact that society has shifted the blame of criminals' actions onto police.

It's a losing proposition for police in America.
    Thank you for reply @TGS.
    I see your point. Suspects' actions caused the outcome in some part.
    Of course if someone attacks you whether high or not, you have to defend and whatever happens is on the suspect.
    I have no sympathy for suspects who try to attack or hurt officers.

Should resisting arrest also be treated same as being attacked?
    I get that suspects need to be restrained but when someone is drunk, scared, mentally unstable/disable etc., they don't have the capacity to think how it'll end.
    Just few days ago in someone is suing Loveland police because a 73 year old woman with dementia was slammed down on the ground and suffered broken bones, dislocated shoulder etc... because she didn't stop walking when officers asked her to stop.
    Yes she didn't obey but hoping for better outcomes in non violent situations.
    I hope most officers will agree in that sentiment.
    https://www.denverpost.com/2021/04/1...investigation/

Specific to this case, excessive force was used and I also was expecting guilty on lesser charges.
    Maybe that'll how it'll end after appeal/re-trial.

Quote Originally Posted by olstyn View Post
    Thanks for having the patience to explain it better than I did. I admit that Mystery's argument style in several threads has tried my patience recently, and that may bias me against him, so I appreciate you providing a more thorough explanation that hopefully he'll be able to understand.

I'm pretty much in line with your thinking, except that I was expecting it to be either only a Manslaughter 2 conviction or a complete acquittal.
    Sorry if I offended you.
    I'll try to be more thoughtful when replying.

Quote Originally Posted by Mystery View Post
    Sorry if I offended you.
    I'll try to be more thoughtful when replying.
    Not so much offended as frustrated. You seem to have a tendency to argue from a position of reducing situations to the point where they have no nuances rather than evaluating them as they are, and that makes it feel like you're not having a conversation in good faith. From your most recent reply, that appears not to be your true intent, and as such, I will try to evaluate future posts from you starting from a clean slate in my own mind.

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    I think there might be some misunderstanding here...
    And that post does a lot to clean things up, in general. Solid.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Quote Originally Posted by Mystery View Post
    Should resisting arrest also be treated same as being attacked?
    I get that suspects need to be restrained but when someone is drunk, scared, mentally unstable/disable etc., they don't have the capacity to think how it'll end.
    That doesn't mean the police should be blamed for the unfortunate outcome that was, ultimately, predicated on the subject's actions.

The caveat to consider is whether the police acted within the "reasonable officer" standard. Specific to Chauvin, it was determined by the jury he did not act within the scope of a reasonable officer; a feeling shared by most police officers across the nation, including this forum.

Being drunk, mentally unstable, or scared is not an excuse to threatening the safety of others where the police must now allow you to do what you will and hopefully just come about your senses. The police have a duty to act. The police have a duty to....police. Use of force, bruises, broken bones, etc are all normal and natural outcomes to policing. For the purposes of making a point, I'd even say that it's a good thing; every time a cop cuffs you alive and all you got was bruises and broken bones, that means he effectively used force and didn't have to result to shooting you. If you talk to a lot of older cops, you'll find the sentiment that in current day we're shooting a lot of people that 20 years ago wouldn't need to be shot, because the police were actually allowed to fight you with effective tools and groundfighting techniques. Black jacks too effective? Cops get heavy batons instead. Heavy batons too effective? Cops get weak collapsible batons instead that don't do anything. Lateral vascular neck restraint too effective? Cops get restricted to only using very limited, approved fighting techniques taught in the academy (which usually don't work in actual use).

Literally everything we're doing to cops these days is to make them hurt people less...to make them less effective at fighting. So why are we surprised when the fights get out of the cops' control and they end up having to shoot people?
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Quote Originally Posted by Lex Luthier View Post
    The Democrat power players think they can ride this tiger by mouthing the right platitudes. Meanwhile the revolutionaries are sharpening their knives.

Exactly.

Sadly many in leadership positions on the left dont appear to be well versed in history. Attempting to harness marxist tactics for political gain usually ends badly.
    “Archer not arrow. No such thing as a perfect pistol. Until you commit to being a better archer, you’ll keep hunting for a better arrow.”

-JCN

Quote Originally Posted by Mercworx View Post
    Exactly.

Sadly many in leadership positions on the left dont appear to be well versed in history. Attempting to harness marxist tactics for political gain usually ends badly.

Sadly many in leadership positions on the left dont appear to be well versed in history, law, the Constitution, reality, human nature, science, honesty, integrity, duty, honor, etc.

I Fixed it for you.

User Tag List