Page 31 of 37 FirstFirst ... 212930313233 ... LastLast

Thread: Chauvin trial

Quote Originally Posted by peterb View Post
    Find me an adult human with no biases. I'll wait.

The opposing legal teams are not looking for unbiased jurors. They are looking for jurors who are likely to favor their side of the argument without being so obvious about it that the other team disqualifies them.
    Of course we won’t find one. But doesn’t actively showing disdain/hostility to the defense council not qualify as favoring one side and being obvious about it?

I have very mixed feelings about this trial.

One the one hand;

More than one LEO on this forum has stated that the defendant acted inappropriately, and should be found guilty of something.

My brother who has 25+ years experience as an LEO in one of our state’s largest PD’s has said that the defendant acted inappropriately and should be found guilty of something.

I have numerous LEO patients, and I’ve discussed the case with them during office visits and more than one has said yet again the exact same thing.

As a conservative American, I believe in rule of law and being accountable for one’s actions. So if the defendant did break the law, he should be found accountable.

On the other hand:

The top 3 honorable elected officials in this country (as well as others) have publicly stated that this trial isn’t so much about one man’s actions, but it’s all about our country’s history of racism and the current backbone of systemic racism in law enforcement (vomit). Nancy even went as far as to say Floyd sacrificed himself for the cause and should be a hero. Chauvin is being sacrificed, no mention of that!

One of the top Democratic leaders has called for outright violence if the “correct” verdict wasn’t reached. To top it off, the leadership of that party absolutely refused to call her out on that or allow any internal investigations. How does that not influence a fair trial.

After reading Mas’ blog posted earlier, it’s really not hard to view this trial as David vs Goliath. I can’t speak as to Mr Nelson’s expertise, but one snippet I caught after getting off of work early one day had him all flustered because the prosecution had given him an outdated version of a witness’ slide presentation. So the numbers Nelson was going to argue weren’t the ones the jury saw. He looked like a fool. The prosecution said, whoops, honest mistake and we will fix it, but the damage had been done already.

The outright hostility shown by some jurors to the defense-Fair trial?

Tobin, have to say he is truly one of the Gods of pulmonary medicine. As far back as the 90’s when I was a post-graduate trainee, if you wanted the gospel textbooks of lung medicine, his one was one of the top 2, certainly top 3. Still is. His name will be with our profession for decades after he leaves the scene.

For him to testify that he was doing this out of the goodness of his heart, not because the prosecution came to him, because after he saw the video he just had to put down everything he was doing in order to testify; how does that not demonstrate a presumption of guilty instead of innocence?

Overall seems like a highly unfair trial, and fairness is another virtue of being conservative.

Quote Originally Posted by ccmdfd View Post

No way you can tell me that that is an unbiased jury.
    We saw what was attempted towards the witness who spoke in defense of Chavin. Pig's head left at former home of Chauvin trial defense witness Given the media coverage, some loony senator encouraging 'taking to the streets' in the town you live in, and even the President of the United States speaking out of his guilt during deliberations, how would anyone like to be 'outed' as the sole juror who dissented and resulted in a hung jury?

I certainly like to think if I were on the jury I would judge this solely on the facts presented in court, but you would be basically trading Chauvin's life for your own if you decided there was reasonable doubt. I hate to admit that even if that was the conclusion I came to (I didn't watch the trial, so don't know what my verdict would be), I would still have a hard time raising my hand.
    Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.

Quote Originally Posted by DC_P View Post

I certainly like to think if I were on the jury...
    I can handle that. I would not be on the jury for a political case.
    I was once severely chastised by a civil court judge because I would not lie and say my prior knowledge of a coworker's case would not affect my decision.
    But that did not last long and I did not have to pretend I was listening to the crook who swindled her try to weasel out.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

Quote Originally Posted by DC_P View Post
    We saw what was attempted towards the witness who spoke in defense of Chavin. Pig's head left at former home of Chauvin trial defense witness Given the media coverage, some loony senator encouraging 'taking to the streets' in the town you live in, and even the President of the United States speaking out of his guilt during deliberations, how would anyone like to be 'outed' as the sole juror who dissented and resulted in a hung jury?

I certainly like to think if I were on the jury I would judge this solely on the facts presented in court, but you would be basically trading Chauvin's life for your own if you decided there was reasonable doubt. I hate to admit that even if that was the conclusion I came to (I didn't watch the trial, so don't know what my verdict would be), I would still have a hard time raising my hand.
    Along a similar vein:

Lots of talk about a potential appeal with multiple reasons being stated for that. I'm certainly not in the position to State how strong of a case the defense would have for an appeal at this point.

But I can certainly imagine many appellate judges not wanting anything to do with that. How would you like to be known as the judge that set race relations back to the Civil War era??

Quote Originally Posted by ccmdfd View Post
    Along a similar vein:

Lots of talk about a potential appeal with multiple reasons being stated for that. I'm certainly not in the position to State how strong of a case the defense would have for an appeal at this point.

But I can certainly imagine many appellate judges not wanting anything to do with that. How would you like to be known as the judge that set race relations back to the Civil War era??
    To be fair, the judge wouldn't be the one setting race relations back... the BLM, Antifa, Media, Leftists, politicians, and dumb as a rock celebrities would be doing that.

A few more thoughts on the Chauvin trial, here: https://www.backwoodshome.com/blogs/...-chauvin-case/ .

Mas says:
    I can recall trying to get a radial pulse and not finding any even though the person was talking to me and fully alive and conscious, and I bet you can too.
    I have been on the other side of that. When I collapsed on the range, as mentioned in the thread on range injuries, I distinctly remember one EMT holding my left wrist saying "I don't have a pulse" and the one touching my right neck saying "I don't get one here, either." Scary, or would have been if I were not so woozy.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

Site Supporter
    I went to an urgent care for a stomach disorder. They said they couldn't find my blood pressure. Holy Shit - called an ambulance. I felt ok except for my belly. I said, well, I can drive to the ER. NO, NO. Then I said I wanted to put some things in the car as I did not want them floating around in hospital. Well, a nurse had to walk me to the car to see if I would drop dead. I didn't and stowed the gear. The ambulance arrives - they find my blood pressure. The ER finds my blood pressure. I spend a few hours on a gurney in the hall. Doc finally decides I have bad belly-itis. Treated.

So my wife and I get scared shitless for an afternoon. I find that the ambulance ride is NOT covered by insurance and I'm out $800 for nothing.

Urgent care once told my wife she was having a cardiac event - bullshit also.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer View Post
    I went to an urgent care for a stomach disorder. They said they couldn't find my blood pressure. Holy Shit - called an ambulance. I felt ok except for my belly. I said, well, I can drive to the ER. NO, NO. Then I said I wanted to put some things in the car as I did not want them floating around in hospital. Well, a nurse had to walk me to the car to see if I would drop dead. I didn't and stowed the gear. The ambulance arrives - they find my blood pressure. The ER finds my blood pressure. I spend a few hours on a gurney in the hall. Doc finally decides I have bad belly-itis. Treated.

So my wife and I get scared shitless for an afternoon. I find that the ambulance ride is NOT covered by insurance and I'm out $800 for nothing.

Urgent care once told my wife she was having a cardiac event - bullshit also.

My experience with urgent care has been lacking at best.

One time I had a decent experience. Had a French doctor whose dad was Austrian, drafted into Nazi army in 1945, escaped that , joined the French Foreign Legion and made it out of Dien Bien Phu before that disaster.

Other than that, I’ll pass on urgent care.

Things that make you go hmmmm....

https://www.baltimoresun.com/news/cr...cau-story.html

It appears -on the surface, at least- that The Powers That Be will brook no dissent from The Narrative.

If this is what it appears to be, it's disgusting.
    "If I ever needed to hunt in a tuxedo, then this would be the rifle I'd take." - okie john

"Not being able to govern events, I govern myself." - Michel De Montaigne

User Tag List