Page 18 of 37 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast

Thread: Chauvin trial

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Gadfly View Post
    Agreed, before the cuffs are applied, you have some latitude on what a “reasonable officer” would do. But once the cuffs are applied, you own the suspect and their well being.

I think if Chauvin was alone, we would have a different trial at play. Floyd was 6’4-6’6” tall depending on source, and a solid 224lbs per the medical examiner. Chauvin is 5’7-5’9” depending on the source, and 140lbs. Even cuffed and on the ground, he could probably buck and roll Cauvin off of him. But with 3 total officers on him? It gets real difficult to articulate the pin. I was waiting for either hearing an “overdose” cause of death, or possibly a MPD training manual that says to fully restrain a person who is high. Neither of those things came up at trail. So it’s not looking good for him...

Maybe I'm not understanding this part, but I thought the MPD manual indicated the technique Chauvin used was for maximum restraint. I thought they showed this in the trial.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Gadfly View Post
    Agreed, before the cuffs are applied, you have some latitude on what a “reasonable officer” would do. But once the cuffs are applied, you own the suspect and their well being.

I think if Chauvin was alone, we would have a different trial at play. Floyd was 6’4-6’6” tall depending on source, and a solid 224lbs per the medical examiner. Chauvin is 5’7-5’9” depending on the source, and 140lbs. Even cuffed and on the ground, he could probably buck and roll Chauvin off of him. But with 3 total officers on him? It gets real difficult to articulate the pin. I was waiting for either hearing an “overdose” cause of death, or possibly a MPD training manual that says to fully restrain a person who is high.
    Gadfly,

I guess your resistant suspects (how many?) have all been fairly easy projects. I've been parts of a couple of dozen fights where "3 total officers" was nowhere near enough. Being a fed (based on your FLETC reference) and thereby having lots of help in most arrests is a shitload different than being by yourself or with one cover officer on late nights patrol if somebody decides to fight you like the third monkey on Noah's Ark. Also, having cuffs on somebody is no guarantee that trouble is over. I've had meth folks continue to be an absolute shitstorm even with cuffs on.
    Regional Government Sales Manager for Aimpoint, Inc. USA
    Co-owner Hardwired Tactical Shooting (HiTS)

Process question while the deliberations go on...What happens in the event of a Hung jury? Is the trial over at this point? Or is it declared a mistrial and we start again?

I did some searching and came out with this explanation:

https://www.minnpost.com/metro/2021/...chauvin-trial/

Is this accurate?

Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post
    Process question while the deliberations go on...What happens in the event of a Hung jury? Is the trial over at this point? Or is it declared a mistrial and we start again?

I did some searching and came out with this explanation:

https://www.minnpost.com/metro/2021/...chauvin-trial/

Is this accurate?
    I don't feel like reading the article but generally, the judge will first try to get the jurors to continue deliberating until they say there is no possibility of a unanimous verdict.

If it were hung on all charges, (unlikely), then it would be up to the prosecution whether they wanted to present the case at trial again. They have that option. (I am not a lawyer, speaking only from my own experiences in courtrooms over the course of a career. Others will have more and deeper knowledge.)
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Site Supporter
    Regarding jury deliberations and instructions: is the court going to instruct the jury to consider lesser included offenses (such as a manslaughter) or just up or down on the murder charge alone?
    Regional Government Sales Manager for Aimpoint, Inc. USA
    Co-owner Hardwired Tactical Shooting (HiTS)

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Dobbs View Post
    Regarding jury deliberations and instructions: is the court going to instruct the jury to consider lesser included offenses (such as a manslaughter) or just up or down on the murder charge alone?
    2nd degree manslaughter is already one of the charges, so that would seem to be covered.

Site Supporter
    RJ's linked article seems solid based on general legal principles.

I have not done any independent research of MN law.
    I am not your attorney. I am not giving legal advice. Any and all opinions expressed are personal and my own and are not those of any employer-past, present or future.

News stories now that state POTUS has provided more ammo for a mistrial or an appeal if convicted. I have a feeling the trial judge may want to redo his "sequester the jury" decision.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...nneapolis.html

So now members of the two branches of fed.gov are putting pressure on the jurors.

There's nothing civil about this war.

Site Supporter
    I may be repeating what has been said. It sounds as if Justice Dept attorneys are going to charge Chauvin with a civil rights violation in case he is acquitted or found guilty on one of the lesser charges. The state and the feds have him in their sights. Too I saw that schools and students are now having walk outs and beating the drum against this man.

User Tag List