Page 4 of 37 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Chauvin trial

Quote Originally Posted by olstyn View Post
    Those are my exact expectations. I don't see the state being able to prove the intent aspect of the murder charges, but manslaughter seems like a fairly easy "out" for the jury. I expect rioting to occur based on the "justification" that manslaughter isn't enough to be considered justice. (I'm sure the rioters would come up with some other justification for rioting in nearly any circumstance, even a conviction on all charges.)
    Concur.

Is it possible you or @Lex Luthier can give us a sense of the scale of the area around the courthouse, i.e. is it a downtown building or suburban, or what sort of area it is? Are there specific public areas (a la the "CHOP") where The Mob is already gathering that might be used as touch points? Just trying to get a sense of the lay of the land as it were.

Best of luck. Perhaps time to plan that vacation.

Quote Originally Posted by willie View Post
    Chauvin's Chief is testifying against him. I had never heard of that move before. That sounds as if the Chief is tending to his own career.
    Any info on the chief's history? His career? I'll be curious as to his level of expertise in the use of force area.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by olstyn View Post
    Those are my exact expectations. I don't see the state being able to prove the intent aspect of the murder charges, but manslaughter seems like a fairly easy "out" for the jury.
    I'm going from memory, but wasn't there a "Murder 3" or something similar that would equate to manslaughter in most jurisdictions? Something like manslaughter + 'depraved heart' = Murder 3 but no requirement for premeditation?
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Site Supporter
    Chauvin's Chief is testifying against him. I had never heard of that move before. That sounds as if the Chief is tending to his own career.
    Or perhaps the chief has a genuine problem with what he did?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

Given that anyone who testifies will be broadcast on every form of media known to man, I would be shocked if anyone would be willing to testify on his behalf. Can you imagine how you would be ostracized and publicly shamed for even saying he seemed like a 'decent' person? I am not intending to show any bias in any direction on the trial, but given how public the entire thing is and what the repercussions would be for being perceived to be on the 'wrong' side, I don't see how a lot of the testimony can be given any more credibility than a political speech.

Just my opinion, I am not following the trial.
    Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.

Quote Originally Posted by DC_P View Post
    Given that anyone who testifies will be broadcast on every form of media known to man, I would be shocked if anyone would be willing to testify on his behalf. Can you imagine how you would be ostracized and publicly shamed for even saying he seemed like a 'decent' person? I am not intending to show any bias in any direction on the trial, but given how public the entire thing is and what the repercussions would be for being perceived to be on the 'wrong' side, I don't see how a lot of the testimony can be given any more credibility than a political speech.
    This is, sadly, a reasonable concern.

Which leads to the 2nd order effect: a whole bunch of people keeping to themselves who feel like Chauvin—dickhole though he may be—got thrown under the bus in stellar fashion.

Which leads to the 3rd order effect: nobody wanting to police these cities.

And so forth...
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Site Supporter
    I agree that saying anything good about Chauvin would take courage. I think the man screwed up. However, if I were his Chief, my view would be there are already enough nails in Chauvin's coffin without my adding others. I'm cynical. I see Chief's move as political posturing. When Chauvin arrives at prison, unless he is segregated, he is a dead man. Perhaps paddy wagons are a good idea. Jail staff deal with many different situations. Their transporting arrested persons might resolve many issues.

Many here have scant knowledge about men who are skip chasers and track down those who jump bail. Ideally he would bring back the felon on a plane. He would arrive at an understanding. You will wear clean clothes and eat good. We will respect each other. Those who were non compliant and had to be brought back in a car received different treatment. He broke bones to gain compliance. I knew this man well. I taught him in school almost 40 years ago. He no longer is in this business. He shot a man 13 times for kicking him in the nuts. The judge retired him. I am old and out of date. Hopefully these practices have changed.

Site Supporter
    In another thread, Behindblueis explained positional asphyxia, which is explained here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Positional_asphyxia, as well as here: https://www.policemag.com/524139/how...ional-asphyxia. The officers involved knew exactly what was happening, as demonstrated by Officer Lane asking Chauvin twice if they should turn Floyd on his side. Chauvin continued to remain on Floyd's neck for minutes after he stopped responding and lost consciousness, never rendering first aid.

Floyd clearly contributed to his own predicament: taking drugs and passing counterfeit bills are clear bad decisions that sensible people avoid. These bad choices, however, do not justify what happened.

The concerns raised about the fairness of the trial are real, but ultimately I think Chauvin is likely to get a fair trial. I do not understand why his ex-girlfriend testified at the guilt phase rather than at the sentencing phase. I agree with those above who suggested that a bench trial might have been wiser in this instance. In all likelihood, however, the lawyers know the judge and the likely jury pool. This will not be the first time a police officer is charged in a high profile case, and many of those resulted in acquittals, so a fair trial is possible.

Site Supporter
    Not a lawyer, but it seems to me that the defense lawyer seems to present his defense points to the prosecution witnesses, who then disagree with him. The prosecutor follows up and takes the defense lawyer's point apart.

The defense experts will have a hard time bringing up these points later. I've testified a few times and was told that you should not ask a question that you don't know how the witness will answer.

If the defense is going to focus on Floyd dropping dead by coincidence while being restrained, meaning he would have dropped dead at the same time if not restrained in some alternative universe, that's going to be an expert battle. The qualifications of the experts might be a fight.

They have taken the rest of the day off.

Quote Originally Posted by BillSWPA View Post
    Or perhaps the chief has a genuine problem with what he did?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I think I read that Chauvin had some other procedural issues before he choked out Floyd. That would fall on the dept adm for not taking care of business. But I think the city already said they made a mistake and they paid for it.

I was always cognizant of the fact that if I were personally sued for something I did by direction of my supervisor, the county wouldn't be there for my defense. A few times I got legal council from a prosecutor who I knew regarding a county policy. Seems one policy was in violation of state code. I had a letter from the prosecutor that stated such and made my supervisors aware that I needed to conduct myself in a manner as to not bring legal action against myself or the county regardless what code they were operating with. The issue was trespass while conducting official county business. It took a few years but they finally changed the policy.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

User Tag List