Page 1 of 37 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Chauvin trial

Chauvin trial

Didn’t see a LE specific thread on this trial and figured I’d start one since testimony began yesterday. I can’t watch any of it live since I’m at a weeks long training course, but I’ve been following Andrew Branca’s Law of Self Defense blog coverage of the trial. I know some of you are not impressed by him, but his coverage has been interesting. You don’t have to be a member to see the blog info for the trial.

After reading the coverage of voir dire, I wonder why the hell Chauvin didn’t opt for a bench trial. Can’t believe the judge didn’t dismiss some of the jurors for cause.

I also was interested to see his defense is using the same expert from the trial of Chicago PD Ofc Jason Van Dyke. The blog has a video of this experts testimony in the van Dyke case. I wasn’t impressed.

Any thoughts if your watching?

https://lawofselfdefense.com/blog/
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

Powerline is also covering the trial
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Oh, I'm paying close attention.
    There are a lot of examples of "dogs that did not bark" so far.
    "If I ever needed to hunt in a tuxedo, then this would be the rifle I'd take." - okie john

"Not being able to govern events, I govern myself." - Michel De Montaigne

Quote Originally Posted by Joe in PNG View Post
    Powerline is also covering the trial
    Thanks. I’ll watch that one as well.
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

Catching what I can of it.
    One point, if the the Judge clears the courtroom to admonish you as a witness, than you best take heed of his "advice".
    I'm not really sure why the EMT is there in uniform, she was off duty at the time of the incident, had no official involvement in the case. She seems long on opinion and short on facts. I don't see where she added much for the State.

I'm a bit worried that we are at a pivotal point in our justice system with this trial. Either the jury performs as a jury should, or they fold under the intense pressure for "justice" that the under/un/misinformed are clamoring for. If they acquiesce to the mob, then going forward we should just conduct trials through Facebook, and let mob rule prevail.

That's about all I'm going to say opinion wise on the public side of this forum.
    "And for a regular dude I’m maybe okay...but what I learned is if there’s a door, I’m going out it not in it"-Duke
    "Just because a girl sleeps with her brother doesn't mean she's easy..."-Blues

Quote Originally Posted by wvincent View Post
    Catching what I can of it.
    One point, if the the Judge clears the courtroom to admonish you as a witness, than you best take heed of his "advice".
    I'm not really sure why the EMT is there in uniform, she was off duty at the time of the incident, had no official involvement in the case. She seems long on opinion and short on facts. I don't see where she added much for the State.

I'm a bit worried that we are at a pivotal point in our justice system with this trial. Either the jury performs as a jury should, or they fold under the intense pressure for "justice" that the under/un/misinformed are clamoring for. If they acquiesce to the mob, then going forward we should just conduct trials through Facebook, and let mob rule prevail.

That's about all I'm going to say opinion wise on the public side of this forum.
    "Properly understood, 'justice' is not an outcome but a process, and its achievement is wholly contingent upon the details of each case. We secure 'justice' both when an innocent man walks free and when a guilty man is convicted. Determining which is which is the whole ball of wax."
    "The victor is not victorious if the vanquished does not consider himself so."
    ― Ennius

Quote Originally Posted by Guerrero View Post
    "Properly understood, 'justice' is not an outcome but a process, and its achievement is wholly contingent upon the details of each case. We secure 'justice' both when an innocent man walks free and when a guilty man is convicted. Determining which is which is the whole ball of wax."
    No argument from me at all.
    But, with this trial in particular, it appears the Wokey Woke's want to circumvent the process, and just get straight to their version of "justice".

Case inpoint:
    https://www.foxnews.com/entertainmen...-chauvin-trial

"So pathetic that there is a trial to prove that Derek Chauvin killed George Floyd when there is video of him doing so," Handler, 46, wrote.

The above quote kind of says a lot, I think.
    I found it "interesting" that the State led the trial with so much use of "feels" and moral outrage, and not with accredited experts.
    But, I'm not an attorney, so I don't know what I don't know.

Kind of telling when I have to really hold back on my thoughts on this Forum.
    "And for a regular dude I’m maybe okay...but what I learned is if there’s a door, I’m going out it not in it"-Duke

Quote Originally Posted by wvincent View Post
    No argument from me at all.
    But, with this trial in particular, it appears the Wokey Woke's want to circumvent the process, and just get straight to their version of "justice".

Case inpoint:
    https://www.foxnews.com/entertainmen...-chauvin-trial

"So pathetic that there is a trial to prove that Derek Chauvin killed George Floyd when there is video of him doing so," Handler, 46, wrote.

The above quote kind of says a lot, I think.
    I found it "interesting" that the State led the trial with so much use of "feels" and moral outrage, and not with accredited experts.
    But, I'm not an attorney, so I don't know what I don't know.

Kind of telling when I have to really hold back on my thoughts on this Forum.
    You could ask to have the thread moved to the Coterie Club.
    "The victor is not victorious if the vanquished does not consider himself so."
    ― Ennius

Quote Originally Posted by Guerrero View Post
    You could ask to have the thread moved to the Coterie Club.
    Nah, this thread was started by one of our LE Professionals in their sub-forum, I will just remain a polite guest and roll with it.

Site Supporter Maple Syrup Actual's Avatar
    Very curious to see how this trial develops.

When I watched the video, I can't say it struck me at the time as particularly lethal treatment in the absence of complicating factors i.e. the drugs that were later found in Floyd's system. I'm also generally of the opinion that getting into an altercation on the street is taking your life in your hands, so choose accordingly.

I don't follow what the laws of that jurisdiction are at all so my opinions don't really relate to the legality of the situation, about which I have basically no idea. I can understand if there's a duty of care argument there once the guy is in custody or whatever, I don't know how that works for Chauvin. But it seems, as a complete outsider, that they're looking for a conviction on the basis of him not coming off like a decent human being, rather than being directly responsible for the death. It's totally possible that this is well established and I just haven't heard about it, but I haven't personally seen anything showing a direct link between the restraint and the death.

When I say personally, I mean I'm drawing the distinction that I haven't really been following it so I haven't seen information, I'm not suggesting that the information doesn't exist, or does exist but is underreported. I'm just saying that I'm not personally aware of information that indicates that.
    This is a thread where I built a boat I designed and which I very occasionally update with accounts of using it, which is really fun as long as I'm not driving over logs and blowing up the outboard.
    https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....ilding-a-skiff

User Tag List