Page 35 of 37 FirstFirst ... 253334353637 LastLast

Thread: Chauvin trial

Site Supporter

Chauvin Trial

Ive been a cop for 20 years...in the Minneapolis metro area. Long enough to see societal trends and how they effect the evolution of policing.

Regardless of how you perceived the "death" of George Floyd and subsequent conviction of Chauvin, the larger issue is the lack of due process in the trial, juror nullification when reasonable doubt was articulated along with the admission from the jurors that they were either biased (in the case of the BLM juror) or that they were scared that the city would burn and that the rioters would come for them if they voted for acquittal.

Secondly the nationwide push by district or county attorneys to criminally charge officers after they were cleared criminally and found not to have violated policy. Sometimes retroactively going back and re-examining already settled OIS incidents years earlier.

The nation wide push for the elimination of qualified immunity is the final nail in the career coffin for many officers myself included.

All of these issues should raise great concerns for the quality of policing moving forward. What type of person will go into the profession and what will the quality of policing be?

The difference between the 90's where crime was out of control and citizens begged for aggressive criminal policing and now is that we can release the hounds and do what needs to be done, but we do so at the risk of being criminally charged for political motivated reasons.

Just some things to think about.

Quote Originally Posted by arcticlightfighter View Post
    Ive been a cop for 20 years...in the Minneapolis metro area. Long enough to see societal trends and how they effect the evolution of policing.

Regardless of how you perceived the "death" of George Floyd and subsequent conviction of Chauvin, the larger issue is the lack of due process in the trial, juror nullification when reasonable doubt was articulated along with the admission from the jurors that they were either biased (in the case of the BLM juror) or that they were scared that the city would burn and that the rioters would come for them if they voted for acquittal.

Secondly the nationwide push by district or county attorneys to criminally charge officers after they were cleared criminally and found not to have violated policy. Sometimes retroactively going back and re-examining already settled OIS incidents years earlier.

The nation wide push for the elimination of qualified immunity is the final nail in the career coffin for many officers myself included.

All of these issues should raise great concerns for the quality of policing moving forward. What type of person will go into the profession and what will the quality of policing be?

The difference between the 90's where crime was out of control and citizens begged for aggressive criminal policing and now is that we can release the hounds and do what needs to be done, but we do so at the risk of being criminally charged for political motivated reasons.

Just some things to think about.
    This—

''All of these issues should raise great concerns for the quality of policing moving forward. What type of person will go into the profession and what will the quality of policing be?''

—is what bothers me most about the overall trajectory of the law enforcement profession.

If we, as a nation, make the profession a ''professional killing ground'' where there is the highest likelihood that one will lose their job and probably their freedom based upon rapidly shifting, often unlawful, societal whims, who in their right mind would ever consider entering the profession?

As a general rule, those entering the profession are good tough men and women, but even the toughest, most stalwart folks can be deterred from entering an honorable profession if the risk(s) is so heavily skewed that it almost guarantees a tragedy.

One local municipality, for years had several thousand applicants attending civil service tests. More often than not, those test sessions required the use of a large civic events center that could house 3,000 - 5,000 applicants. In a recent test session, according to a good friend of mine who works in that city's HR Division, he stated that despite a year's worth of aggressive advertising prior to that session, the number of viable applicants for that test would not have filled up a small high school auditorium; less than 400 applicants were present.

How does any profession survive, if that is what the future holds?
    ''Politics is for the present, but an equation is for eternity.'' ―Albert Einstein

Full disclosure per the Pistol-Forum CoC: I am the author of Quantitative Ammunition Selection.

Glock Collective Assimile Suvorov's Avatar
    Escapee from the SF Bay Area now living on the Front Range of Colorado.
    Quote Originally Posted by the Schwartz View Post

How does any profession survive, if that is what the future holds?
    It doesn’t and that is the point.

Many have warned us from Bezminov to Arch Bishop Vigano. The point is to bring about the fall of our society so that a new one can be put in its place. Order from Chaos and all that stuff. The destruction of civil authorities is the final step and once that is achieved then our fellow countrymen, women, and general fluid unicorns will be willing to sell their souls for stability and the illusion of safety.

This is a whole lot bigger than a drugged out ex-con and an apparent asshole cop.

Just my opinion......

Quote Originally Posted by Suvorov View Post
    It doesn’t and that is the point.

Many have warned us from Bezminov to Arch Bishop Vigano. The point is to bring about the fall of our society so that a new one can be put in its place. Order from Chaos and all that stuff. The destruction of civil authorities is the final step and once that is achieved then our fellow countrymen, women, and general fluid unicorns will be willing to sell their souls for stability and the illusion of safety.

This is a whole lot bigger than a drugged out ex-con and an apparent asshole cop.

Just my opinion......
    Sadly, this sort of thing often gets way out of hand, and out of the control of those pushing it. After all, Imperial Russia just wanted a nice, quick, victorious war against Japan in 1904 to unify the nation, and Austria-Hungary wanted to use the assassination of Franz Ferdinand to wage a nice, quick, victorious war against the 'Serbian viper".

I could go on.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by AMC View Post
    Must be nice to work in a.community that respects and supports police. That isn't the reality everywhere.

Where I work, not only do folks complain regularly about perfectly legitimate, even courteous police actions, but our Citizen Oversight agency will, when the bodycam video shows the officer acted properly, then go through every aspect of the call and report looking for ANYTHING to ding the officer. Didnt get the witnesses' email address and fill in the box? Didn't interview that 3rd person in the background on bodycam agreeing with your witnesses? Written reprimand at least. And Sergeant? Did you sign this incomplete/false police report? Days off.

Long winded way of saying that just because a 20 year cop has complaints in his file, doesn't mean he's the asshole the complainants made him out to be.

I got complained on for speaking Spanish to brown people. The complaint was I shouldn't assume brown people are from Mexico and need me to speak Spanish to them, and that it is border line racist for me to do so.

Happened while I was on vacation.....in Mexico. My chief told me to keep doing what I am doing. Truly lucky to have her as chief.

Site Supporter
    Blah blah blah. Who the fuck cares about the past but a learned person with an agenda. )

As mentioned months ago, Chauvin and his defense team appealed.

This is the text if anyone is interested: https://mncourts.gov/mncourtsgov/med...0602150804.pdf

I ain't no lawyer, but this book writes itself.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    As mentioned months ago, Chauvin and his defense team appealed.

This is the text if anyone is interested: https://mncourts.gov/mncourtsgov/med...0602150804.pdf

I ain't no lawyer, but this book writes itself.
    Seems like some compelling points in that document.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Quote Originally Posted by Totem Polar View Post
    Seems like some compelling points in that document.
    Yeah.

Sorry, @Lex Luthier. This bodes poorly for your locales recovery and safety.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    Yeah.

Sorry, @Lex Luthier. This bodes poorly for your locales recovery and safety.
    Oh, don't I know it. I have a bunch of stuff to add to the St Paul / Minneapolis Riot Aftermath thread.
    "If I ever needed to hunt in a tuxedo, then this would be the rifle I'd take." - okie john

"Not being able to govern events, I govern myself." - Michel De Montaigne

User Tag List