Page 29 of 37 FirstFirst ... 192728293031 ... LastLast

Thread: Chauvin trial

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    Is Madame Defarge knitting?
    With Nero’s greatest violin hits playing in the background via Alexa...
    "Knowledge is good." Emil Faber, date unknown.

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    If you talk to a lot of older cops, you'll find the sentiment that in current day we're shooting a lot of people that 20 years ago wouldn't need to be shot, because the police were actually allowed to fight you with effective tools and groundfighting techniques. Black jacks too effective? Cops get heavy batons instead. Heavy batons too effective? Cops get weak collapsible batons instead that don't do anything. Lateral vascular neck restraint too effective? Cops get restricted to only using very limited, approved fighting techniques taught in the academy (which usually don't work in actual use).

Literally everything we're doing to cops these days is to make them hurt people less...to make them less effective at fighting. So why are we surprised when the fights get out of the cops' control and they end up having to shoot people?
    ^^ THIS ^^

He gets it. A lot a fights escalate to “excessive force”(per the media) because the officers are not allowed to use enough force to decidedly end the fight quickly. And the fighting stuff we teach at the academy that comes from lawyers is pretty “iffy” at best. Cops need more boxing and BJJ to avoid having to end up going to guns. And Local DAs need to prosecute an follow through on all resisting arrest charges. Those charges often never get made or get dropped.

I am eligible to retire. Still gonna hold on a few more years. But it is nice to know I can pop smoke whenever.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    “A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.” - Shane

There are occasional flashes of reason....

—————-

Stewart(a lawyer for the Floyd family)says that proper policing and caring about how police treat people of color are not mutually exclusive.

"Because you want to hold an officer accountable does not mean you're against policing ..." he said. "We've been pushed that you have to choose a side, which is pure stupidity. You know, you can support good policing and you can support victims that don't look like you."

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by peterb View Post
    There are occasional flashes of reason....

—————-

Stewart(a lawyer for the Floyd family)says that proper policing and caring about how police treat people of color are not mutually exclusive.

"Because you want to hold an officer accountable does not mean you're against policing ..." he said. "We've been pushed that you have to choose a side, which is pure stupidity. You know, you can support good policing and you can support victims that don't look like you."
    Yet not once in the social narrative does any of the reasoning include phrases that sound like, "And we encourage people of all color to follow and obey the law...and should they find themselves not obeying the law, we admonish them to obey and comply with the lawful commands of officers."

They support "good policing", but apparently have zero interest in promoting/supporting "good citizenship".

"Good policing" is a euphemism for "allowing people to break the law without consequence".

Quote Originally Posted by Mercworx View Post
    Exactly.

Sadly many in leadership positions on the left dont appear to be well versed in history. Attempting to harness marxist tactics for political gain usually ends badly.
    It's interesting that most of the 20th Centuries greatest tyrannical regimes weren't the the revolutions that overthrew the existing old order, but the guys who tossed those guys out later on. It wasn't Lenin & the Bolsheviks that threw out the Tsar, or Hitler and the Nazis that heaved the Kaiser, or Mao & the Reds who sent the Emperor packing.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Wife and I had one of the left-leaning mainstream media cable shows on this evening while doing our household chores.

One of the expert panelists, who was all about how this is about racism in the country and not so much about whether or not Chauvin acted appropriately or not, said something interesting. According to her, when she was watching the jurors, several of them would be taking notes feverishly while the prosecution was talking. Then when Nelson would get up, they would in some cases just put down their pads and stare off into space, others face in a direction to make it obvious that they weren't paying him any attention, and at least one of them would stare very violently at Mr. Nelson.

No way you can tell me that that is an unbiased jury.

Edited for some grammar changes
    Last edited by ccmdfd; 04-21-2021 at 05:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ccmdfd View Post
    I'm not sure there's a way to explain that behavior that isn't damning.

Site Supporter
    The sad thing is. With the internet of things and mass media. There is no way a good jurist is going to be obtainable. Everybody knows what happened before hand and formed opinions. They just had to pick sides. Sad that objectivity has gone out the window.

Quote Originally Posted by ccmdfd View Post
    Find me an adult human with no biases. I'll wait.

The opposing legal teams are not looking for unbiased jurors. They are looking for jurors who are likely to favor their side of the argument without being so obvious about it that the other team disqualifies them.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe in PNG View Post
    It's interesting that most of the 20th Centuries greatest tyrannical regimes weren't the the revolutions that overthrew the existing old order, but the guys who tossed those guys out later on. It wasn't Lenin & the Bolsheviks that threw out the Tsar, or Hitler and the Nazis that heaved the Kaiser, or Mao & the Reds who sent the Emperor packing.

Very true.

Mid level revolutionaries are first against the wall. They served their purpose and are no longer useful.

I encourage everyone who hasnt already read the Gulag Archepeligo to do so with haste. Should be required reading in all American schools.
    “Archer not arrow. No such thing as a perfect pistol. Until you commit to being a better archer, you’ll keep hunting for a better arrow.”

-JCN

User Tag List