Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: G. Gordon Liddy RIP

I attended a lecture he gave at a local college. I was still in High School.

The only thing I remember about the talk was he was very opposed to the upcoming M1A1 Abrams tank. He advocated buying Leopard 2s.

RIP G-Man
    Don’t blame me. I didn’t vote for that dumb bastard.

Yes, I remember him from his college speaking tour in the 1980s. He believed that the German made Leopard II would be a better tank for the US than the M-1. At that time the Leopard II was fitted with a 120mm main gun, while the M-1 was fitted with only a 105mm cannon. The M-1 would later be fitted with the same 120mm main gun as well as greatly improved armor with depleted uranium composite included in the mix.

Since this is pistol forum here is a picture of some of GGL's pistols and revolvers from his book Will.

Name:  GGL Guns.jpg
Views: 720
Size:  60.3 KB

It has been forever since I read WILL, but I thought I remembered that he either trained with Jelly Price or one of Price's proteges.

Quote Originally Posted by Ed L View Post
    He was a fascinating individual and a real hard man. RIP.

A picture from the long past. This is the only time I did the celebrity picture thing.

Attachment 69575
    That really is you in your avatar.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

I was vice president of Fordham Universitys College Republicans Chapter and met him twice. He interviewed me a few days after 9/11 about how students in NYC at his alma matter were reacting to the attacks. Will is my favorite book. I have his grandson on Facebook and I was shocked to see the G Man in wheel chair this past Christmas. He kept hellicously fit running 4 miles a couple times a week and doing 100s of push ups into his 70s. His mom lived till 100 and I thought he'd make that. When I found out he had Parkinsons I now understand the wheelchair and his death. Thank you for all the lessons Mr. Liddy. May you rest in Peace.

Quote Originally Posted by Flamingo View Post
    It has been forever since I read WILL, but I thought I remembered that he either trained with Jelly Price or one of Price's proteges.
    That should be Bryce not Price...

Quote Originally Posted by Flamingo View Post
    That should be Bryce not Price...
    I checked the book. There is no mention of Jelly Bryce. But the two agents who were influential in Liddy's firearm knowledge were both former lawmen, just like Jelly Bryce was. Their names were John Paul Jeter, aged sixty and Wayne Brantner, age seventy. This was in 1958 when Liddy was assigned to his first office in Indianapolis. Both were older men who were brought into the FBI to bring their gunfighting knowledge and experience. Liddy described each of them as having killed at least a half dozen men in gunfights. He also wrote that whenever trouble was expected, these men were in the vanguard of those sent to deal with it.

Those men, along with the Special Agent In Charge Harvey Foster were described by Liddy as being three of the best gunfighters in the FBI.
    Last edited by Ed L; 04-01-2021 at 04:18 AM.

I am going to try to attach some scans from G. Gordon Liddy's biography Will here that detail some of his experience when he got to his first office and met the older agents who made suggestions in regard to his firearms and training. I am not sure how well it will work. You will definitely have to click on the attachments to enlarge them and read them. I strongly advise buying and reading his book. It does not seem to be available in kindle form.

Name:  GGL 1.jpg
Views: 414
Size:  92.4 KB

Name:  GGL 2.jpg
Views: 364
Size:  72.0 KB

Name:  GGL 3.jpg
Views: 413
Size:  66.3 KB

Name:  GGL 4.jpg
Views: 381
Size:  64.4 KB

Name:  GGL 5.jpg
Views: 358
Size:  66.2 KB

Far Upper Midwest. Lower Midwest When I Absolutely Have To
    Something tells me that entire book is a very good read...
    Working diligently to enlarge my group size.

At one point in the early 1980s, Liddy went on the speaking circuit with LSD Guru Timothy Leary. They debated and spoke before auditoriums full of people. Liddy had previously arrested Leary in the 1960s when he was a prosecutor in Dutchess County, NY. Here is a link to a video made about the two. It's great, it shows them around town and parties and classrooms and behind the scenes of their lives. Arenas full of people from both ends of the political spectrum and everyone is civilized and polite to people with different views.

If you fast forward to the 1:05.20 mark, there is a few minutes with Liddy at the shooting range and talking specifics about firearms. He fires a shotgun from the underarm tuck position, and shoots a revolver at a turning target. He is a pretty fast shot. The entire video itself is worth watching if you have the interest and the time. Elsewhere in the video he is arguing against gun control. Like him or not, he was a very formidable intellect in his day.

Last edited by Ed L; 04-02-2021 at 03:42 AM.

User Tag List