Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Anyone with a MA unrestricted nonresident LTC?

Anyone with a MA unrestricted nonresident LTC?

I’m getting ready to apply for a MA nonres. Does anyone here have one that can offer advice?
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

I dont have one but I have multiple close friends who do. Dress nice when you go to meet the grand wizard or whatever the hell he calls himself (guy who grants you the privilege to exercise your rights) and start the re application process 6 months early.
    Come, mother, come! For terror is thy name, death is in thy breath, and every shaking step destroys a world for e'er. Thou 'time', the all-destroyer! Come, O mother, come!

I need to look around to find out what they consider to be an appropriate response for the question about why you want an unlimited LTC:

https://www.mass.gov/files/2017-06/N...012.2016_0.pdf

I’ve heard (possibly here when I first started the process of moving to NH last year) that they generally mimic the limitations or lack thereof that apply to your home state license.

We live close enough to the border that it’s not unusual to be hopping in and out in the course of a day’s shopping.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...

Do they still require in person appointments in Chelsea? I haven't paid attention to nonres LTCs in a long time

A few years ago, there was a breakdown released of all issuing authorities by percentage restricted. I *think* I remember that the non res LTCs were mostly restricted but better than some other towns/cities.

Quote Originally Posted by shootist26 View Post
    Do they still require in person appointments in Chelsea? I haven't paid attention to nonres LTCs in a long time

A few years ago, there was a breakdown released of all issuing authorities by percentage restricted. I *think* I remember that the non res LTCs were mostly restricted but better than some other towns/cities.
    I believe they still do in person appointments. Although covid might have changed that.
    Come, mother, come! For terror is thy name, death is in thy breath, and every shaking step destroys a world for e'er. Thou 'time', the all-destroyer! Come, O mother, come!

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    I need to look around to find out what they consider to be an appropriate response for the question about why you want an unlimited LTC:

https://www.mass.gov/files/2017-06/N...012.2016_0.pdf

I’ve heard (possibly here when I first started the process of moving to NH last year) that they generally mimic the limitations or lack thereof that apply to your home state license.

We live close enough to the border that it’s not unusual to be hopping in and out in the course of a day’s shopping.
    So just asking my friend he said he wrote like three paragraphs on why he wanted it , gotta be very specific.
    Work, early/ late travel with expensive stuff or money through bad areas, sport shooting ect ect. If you just put somthing like sport shooting and you get caught with a gun and you are not spsificly going to or coming from a shooting event you are boned. You gotta over indulge information when stating the reason. Two other friends who have them say the same thing.

Checkout northeastshooters forums for more info. From what I heard (on the forums) the non-res LTC is always unrestricted and you could just say "All lawful purposes".

Ok, from what I’m reading “for all lawful purposes” isn’t quite enough. I am a hobby photographer that carries expensive equipment, but not all of the time. I am also of limited mobility (verifiable bad ankle) that might be a partial reason. Part of me wants to call the troopers and ask, I’ve found in other states most are no bullshit - but that may be a dangerous assumption in MA.

@Andy T - you were posting as I was composing. I’ll check out that forum (I should probably join while I’m at it) and poke around. All lawful purposes works for me, and is honest. I suspect that when I go for the MA-mandated training class they will have guidance, too. Thanks!
    Ken

MA has a whole menu of different courses (from NRA Basic Pistol to some course a person made up and got approved) that are acceptable. The quality/qantity of MA legal advice will also vary.
    I would recommend contacting Jason Guida - he used to be in charge of the FRLB and now is working on our side.

I am way out of date on this, so it may be poor advice.

I had a non resident class A permit for most of the first decade of the century, but let it expire about 12 years ago because I no longer had business reasons to frequently fly through Logan or spend time in MA like I used to.

Anyway, it was full application for annual renewal for non resident in those days, this was my story and it was always accepted.

Question 15: Reason for requesting Temporary License to carry firearms (Class A LTC All lawful purposes)

I am an active competitive pistol shooter, federally licensed collector of curio & relic firearms, and NRA certified pistol instructor (documentation for all pursuits attached to this application). Because my job demands that I frequently travel to and stay in Massachusetts. I anticipate participating in competition (USPSA/IPSC, GSSF, SASS, IDPA), attending gun shows and auctions in the pursuit of my licensed firearm curio and relic collecting hobby, and attending training to advance my status as an instructor, including class offerings at the Smith & Wesson Academy, all in Massachusetts.

I am lead to believe that under MGL, Chapter 140, Section 131G, I would be allowed to transport firearms to and from these events legally. However I recognize that firearms are valuables that are highly coveted by the criminal community just like cash or jewelry would be. My participation in any of these pursuits (collector shows, firearms training classes, and pistol competition) cause my possession of these valuable firearms to be visible in public forums and that could put me at risk of robbery and assault outside these events. For that reason I am requesting a carry permit for all lawful purposes in order to protect my life in the event of a lethal force assault by felons who might be intent on harming me in the process of stealing these firearms.

User Tag List