Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Scales for the GP100

Quote Originally Posted by Lester Polfus View Post
    Roge-o dude. Looking forward to some pictures.
    I’ll probably go with hickory. Pretty plain but wicked tough. Highly figured woods just don’t do well when cut that thin and I’m not interested in buying the equipment to stabilize.

Quote Originally Posted by awp_101 View Post
    VZ makes a couple of styles of full replacement stocks but no inserts. If anyone has an inside line at VZ, that’s a bug worth putting in their ear IMO.

That line is long, distinguished and forms to the left.

When I get back into a wood working phase, I have delusions of doing GP and SP inserts. I need to see if G10 can be turned like resin. If so it might be worth picking some up slabs to cut into blanks for pen turning and GP/SP insert making. I just need this raging case of gunfluenza to abate for a bit.

Dammit, now I’m wanting another GP or SP on general principle...
    I have some 3/8 and 1/4” thick phenolic plates. Very similar material to Micarta. I
    might give it a try, though it stinks like the devil when cutting. I imagine it’s very hard in blades & cutters as well.

I used to turn pens but found it tedious. Plus I got tired of wooodworking in the cramped confines of the garage and sold off all my stationary tools except the bandsaw.

I enjoy spindle turning, just not pens.

Quote Originally Posted by jtcarm View Post
    I have some 3/8 and 1/4” thick phenolic plates. Very similar material to Micarta. I
    might give it a try, though it stinks like the devil when cutting.
    Worse than antler? That stunk way worse than I expected even after being warned it was unpleasant.

Quote Originally Posted by jtcarm View Post
    I used to turn pens but found it tedious. Plus I got tired of wooodworking in the cramped confines of the garage and sold off all my stationary tools except the bandsaw.

I enjoy spindle turning, just not pens.
    I get it. Between Texas summers, lack of time and lack of space, I haven’t turned anything in over a year. I like pens because they’re useful in daily life but when turning makes it’s way back into the hobby rotation, spindles and bottle stoppers will probably be the majority of what I turn.
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Scales for the GP100

Quote Originally Posted by awp_101 View Post
    Worse than antler? That stunk way worse than I expected even after being warned it was unpleasant.

I get it. Between Texas summers, lack of time and lack of space, I haven’t turned anything in over a year. I like pens because they’re useful in daily life but when turning makes it’s way back into the hobby rotation, spindles and bottle stoppers will probably be the majority of what I turn.
    Can’t say, I never cut antler, but I am familiar with burnt bone.

I cut up a phenolic router table insert once to build some jigs and it smelled pretty bad. Micarta is close to the same thing.
    Last edited by jtcarm; 04-03-2021 at 03:12 PM.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    The smell from phenolic is formaldehyde. Make sure you do that with really good ventilation.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

User Tag List