Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Primary Machine stopping custom milling

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    I find it hard to believe a complete slide can be provided for the cost of machining.
    Yeah, I think the net cost of the part would be low, but...
    Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    The time it takes to change over a setup on a machine is dead time where the machines are still being paid for and the lights are on in the building, but the machines aren't making any money for the shop. Making a bunch of parts with one setup brings the cost way, way down.
    Taking somebody's slide out of box, putting it onto a machine, making sure it is all located correctly, running it, cleaning it off, coating it, and putting it back into a box, compared to writing a program for a multi-axis turning center that feeds a bar and turns it into a slide without it being touched by a human hand. It is probably start to finish faster, cheaper (including overhead), and less error prone.

And if you do make an error, you need another stick of metal instead of explaining to some dude that his precious slide is ruined. When I worked for my wife's print shop we would have people bring in stuff like their poster from a concert in the seventies from the time they got back stage and got autographs from the band and smoked weed with them, and they would want us to laminate and mount it. If we botched up a print that we had printed we would say shit and print another one. Typically the employee that screwed it up would quietly ask their colleague for a reprint and we wouldn't even know. Not so easy with the concert poster...

Quote Originally Posted by Lon View Post
    I’ve also been watching Jagerwerks IG page.
    I have been checking them out also. At this point I have no current need, but am always planning the next step.

My comment aside, there really wasn’t anything I was considering having milled at this point - the 43x MOS solved that problem for me, and if I decide to RDS the 26.5 or 27.5 I can wait for the new MOS versions to make the swim.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Quote Originally Posted by mmc45414 View Post
    Yeah, I think the net cost of the part would be low, but...

Taking somebody's slide out of box, putting it onto a machine, making sure it is all located correctly, running it, cleaning it off, coating it, and putting it back into a box, compared to writing a program for a multi-axis turning center that feeds a bar and turns it into a slide without it being touched by a human hand. It is probably start to finish faster, cheaper (including overhead), and less error prone.

And if you do make an error, you need another stick of metal instead of explaining to some dude that his precious slide is ruined.
    Yup, all of that.

Also, I just realized, the nitriding of a finished Glock slide probably chews up cutting tool inserts pretty good. Changing inserts takes time itself, but also requires re-validating the setup and generally making some adjustments to account for the different wear condition of the inserts, etc. Machining non-nitrided material may yield a useful increase in the number of parts that goes across the machine before there's significant time without the spindle turning. Spindle only makes money when it's turning. The rest of the time, it's a big loser.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Quote Originally Posted by Lon View Post
    @chpws does good work.

https://chpws.com

I’ve also been watching Jagerwerks IG page. Their 509T work looks good.
    I actually have coupon from them for a free cut I won in a class a while back. I've held off based on some negative feedback I've seen on a couple of other forums. In one of them, the owner of the company joined in the discussion and it got a bit ugly. Who all has work by them here? I would hate to send the slide off and have a hack job done.

Quote Originally Posted by CWM11B View Post
    I actually have coupon from them for a free cut I won in a class a while back. I've held off based on some negative feedback I've seen on a couple of other forums. In one of them, the owner of the company joined in the discussion and it got a bit ugly. Who all has work by them here? I would hate to send the slide off and have a hack job done.
    I've seen enough complaints about CHPWS and poor behavior from them that I wouldn't send them any of my slides for work. All companies make mistakes especially when experiencing rapid growth like they are, but it is how those mistakes are dealt with that make or break it for me.

I would still consider buying a plate from them as its something that wouldn't leave me with a permanent issue if something wasn't right.

That's pretty much where I am on them. Maybe I'll see if I can buy a 2.0 OR slide direct from Smith if I cant get in to Primary Machine fast enough

Quote Originally Posted by CWM11B View Post
    Well, I've got a slide at Jagerwerks right now so...I'd have to agree hack work by them would be most unwelcome. They were recommended here in this subforum in the sticky as a good company, and I picked them over PM for maybe idiosyncratic reasons. I'm hoping I'll get a perfect slide back from Jagerwerks. Time will tell. I forget how long it's been there. At least two weeks, maybe 3, I think. 4-8 week backlog.
    O judgment! Thou art fled to brutish beasts, And men have lost their reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Moylan View Post
    Well, I've got a slide at Jagerwerks right now so...I'd have to agree hack work by them would be most unwelcome. They were recommended here in this subforum in the sticky as a good company, and I picked them over PM for maybe idiosyncratic reasons. I'm hoping I'll get a perfect slide back from Jagerwerks. Time will tell. I forget how long it's been there. At least two weeks, maybe 3, I think. 4-8 week backlog.
    Jagerwerks is good to go. CHPWS is the shop with the recent negative experiences.

I’m waiting on Optics Planet to get my next Holosun 407K to me so that PM can
    do my last G43X.
    Not holding my breath on OP making it in time. Ordered Dec. 1st.
    Their latest guess is April 13th ship date.
    How can you govern a country which has two hundred and forty-six varieties of cheese?

Charles de Gaulle

Look what arrived from Primary Machine today.

Name:  B8B52646-17B4-42B7-A505-2BF166DD4C58.jpg
Views: 429
Size:  74.8 KB
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

User Tag List