Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Trigger weight for “fighting revolver?”

Quote Originally Posted by JCN View Post
    Hello, I would love some opinions on where people personally like their revolver trigger weight for carry.

And also if pocket versus holster carry affect that decision making for you?

My LCR trigger is heavy but still lighter than a J frame trigger. I was thinking of doing the 9# apex for the SW rather than the 6# mcarbo. For semi-autos I personally usually hover around a 4.5-5.5# for carry gun trigger weight, but have 8# DA pulls on some guns.

Thanks in advance!

@Clusterfrack
    @jlw
    @jetfire
    @Dagga Boy
    So yeah, I'll concur with everyone else that the weight of the pull is less important to me than how smooth it rolls through the end. What I try to eliminate with S&W guns is any stacking near the end of the trigger pull, the side effect of that is that I end up with 6-7lb triggers in medium frame revolvers. While those triggers are undeniably lovely, I also have no issues recommending someone an LCR trigger, which until I shot the Python was the best factory DA trigger on the market, and is from the factory right around 9-10lbs. That's why when I build a wheelgun the goal isn't weight, but rather smoothness. Reliable ignition is key as well, because it doesn't matter if my trigger is 4.5 lbs if it won't crack any primers.

Site Supporter
    To add a different perspective, I have worked with many students with hand or wrist issues who have had difficulty with DA trigger pulls. 9 lb. seems to be the point when many new shooters have difficulty, and watching new shooters struggle with a NY1 trigger setup on a Glock motivated me to switch to a NY1 with a 3.5 lb. connector for a 7 lb. pull. A shooter with weak or compromised hands should not have a trigger requiring them to use two index fingers simultaneously, as I have seen one female shooter do with her S&W 686.

Given all of the functions performed by a DA revolver trigger, I doubt it is possible to get it too light while also preserving reliable functioning.

I have used some very light but otherwise poor DA semiauto triggers, so I agree that smoothness is critical.

Hammertime
    Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    Good questions. I haven't measured the trigger weight on my LCR 9
    Mine is about 8#2oz and it feels great.

I shoot wheelies as God made them. I’ve gotten nothing but tears for turning them over to recommended smiths to tune. Never again.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    God doesn't work at S&W or Ruger. Are you talking Manurhin or Korth?
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    God doesn't work at S&W or Ruger. Are you talking Manurhin or Korth?
    Hmmm
    Name:  124-14-1.jpg
Views: 387
Size:  73.3 KB
    Name:  M1917.jpg
Views: 301
Size:  60.1 KB
    Name:  20200921_090102.jpg
Views: 288
Size:  60.6 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Doc_Glock View Post
    Mine is about 8#2oz and it feels great.
    Mine is closer to 9#. But I could not feel the difference in weight or smoothness between the LCR and a ProGrade P-07. I hadn’t appreciated how good the LCR is out of the box until now.

“There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

@Clusterfrack I did the same thing comparing my LCR9 with my Korth Sky Hawk (9mm) and the LCRs trigger is pretty darn good.

Name:  FAD07587-7538-4A7C-8C76-B35B4697C912.jpg
Views: 277
Size:  82.4 KB

Quote Originally Posted by BillSWPA View Post

Given all of the functions performed by a DA revolver trigger, I doubt it is possible to get it too light while also preserving reliable functioning.
    That pretty well sums it up.

Quote Originally Posted by jtcarm View Post
    That pretty well sums it up.
    I mean also define "too light"

User Tag List