Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Trigger weight for “fighting revolver?”

I will add something to the discussion that I have not seen brought up.

I have two preferred non-snub revolvers I will EDC - a S&W M66, and a Manurhin MR88. The 66 is DAO and has a trigger pull of just over 8 pounds. The MR88 has a DA pull of close to 11 pounds. Both pulls are super smooth (the Smith may have bit of an edge, but it is not by much). What I have noticed is that there is not a lot of difference in my performance with either one on individual drills or short courses of fire. I tend to shoot both of them pretty much identically especially after putting on Mershon grips on the Smith.

Where I did see a difference was in extended firing. An extended session, or a longer course of fire like the old FBI DA course, the slightly heavier pull of the Manurhin started to tell on my finger. Was it bad? No, but there did start to be something there, and I have noticed that my later shots with that gun were not quite as good as the first 10-20, or the equivalent number out of the 66.

I don't know that is enough reason to favor one weight over the other, but it may be something to consider.

YMMV
    For info about training or to contact me:
    Immediate Action Combatives

Quote Originally Posted by Cecil Burch View Post
    I will add something to the discussion that I have not seen brought up.

I have two preferred non-snub revolvers I will EDC - a S&W M66, and a Manurhin MR88. The 66 is DAO and has a trigger pull of just over 8 pounds. The MR88 has a DA pull of close to 11 pounds. Both pulls are super smooth (the Smith may have bit of an edge, but it is not by much). What I have noticed is that there is not a lot of difference in my performance with either one on individual drills or short courses of fire. I tend to shoot both of them pretty much identically especially after putting on Mershon grips on the Smith.

Where I did see a difference was in extended firing. An extended session, or a longer course of fire like the old FBI DA course, the slightly heavier pull of the Manurhin started to tell on my finger. Was it bad? No, but there did start to be something there, and I have noticed that my later shots with that gun were not quite as good as the first 10-20, or the equivalent number out of the 66.

I don't know that is enough reason to favor one weight over the other, but it may be something to consider.

YMMV
    Well-said. Cumulative fatigue is real.
    Retar’d LE. Kinesthetic dufus.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

I just heard a prosecutor argue that a trigger pull of over seven pounds as being “a lot” and thus the defendant couldn’t claim negligence.

The murder weapon was a Sccy.
    I had an ER nurse in a class. I noticed she kept taking all head shots. Her response when asked why, "'I've seen too many people who have been shot in the chest putting up a fight in the ER." Point taken.

@Cecil Burch, absolutely. There is a big difference between a gun that can be shot well, and a gun that can be shot well a lot in a row.

If the 1911 trigger wasn’t a thing, the 1911 would occupy the same niche as, say Colt SAAs. JMO.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post
    O3, that first picture made my heart flutter. (smiley face goes here)

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by jetfire View Post
    I mean also define "too light"
    Too light is relative.

Really the topic should be mainspring strength since that’s what drives ignition. While DA pull weight is mostly overcoming the main spring, your trigger finger is also working against other forces like friction, hammer & cylinder weight, rebound spring, cylinder stop, etc. DA pull weight can be reduced without compromising main spring strength.

No less than 7 pounds double action on a carry Smith & Wesson. I go lower for competition guns but never for carry.

I also use a 13 rebound spring in my carry guns and 11 in my competition guns.

I mean also define "too light"
    My Randy Lee 625 at 4.5# was mushy. I couldn't get a good feel with it. In my opinion it was too light for me.

Quote Originally Posted by BN View Post
    My Randy Lee 625 at 4.5# was mushy. I couldn't get a good feel with it. In my opinion it was too light for me.
    I think 4.5 might actually be too light - I need some kind of resistance from a wheelgun trigger, and I feel like that the length of travel with that light a weight would feel weird

I think 4.5 might actually be too light - I need some kind of resistance from a wheelgun trigger, and I feel like that the length of travel with that light a weight would feel weird
    The answer is to put a heavier rebound spring in the gun. You will still have a wonderful double action trigger but the return will be stronger and won't feel too light. I use a 11 pound rebound spring but a 13 - 14 will give a great DA with better reset abillity.

User Tag List