Thread: No-Loader Test

No-Loader Test

Link to pdf

In preparation for presenting Revolver Essentials at TacCon21, I created this test. It's not a drill; it's a test. Use it to periodically test your skills.

I had an ER nurse in a class. I noticed she kept taking all head shots. Her response when asked why, "'I've seen too many people who have been shot in the chest putting up a fight in the ER." Point taken.

By the way, that was a great class you presented at TacCon. Everyone that participated or observed had very good things to say about it.

Have a safe trip back home, it was a pleasure to see you again.

Site Supporter
    Thanks for the test, Lee. And to echo Serious Student, your class was excellent. I had a blast attending it.
    Regional Government Sales Manager for Aimpoint, Inc. USA
    Co-owner Hardwired Tactical Shooting (HiTS)

Quote Originally Posted by jlw View Post
    Link to pdf

In preparation for presenting Revolver Essentials at TacCon21, I created this test. It's not a drill; it's a test. Use it to periodically test your skills.

I ran this today with a 686+ concealed AIWB and I thought it was a great and challenging test. Thanks for submitting!

I tried this one tonight with my LCR .38, City Special AIWB under a polo shirt.

It’s pretty spicy. I managed to fail on four separate strings:

1 (3-yard draw) - missed one just outside the circle. I had a quarter-second left over that I could have used to clean up the sight picture.

2 (3-yard from ready) - same.

6 (5-yard draw) - missed, and also short-stroked the trigger for an OT shot.

10 (10-yard draw) - missed, and short-stroked so the second was OT and I didn’t fire the third.

Overall I scored 20 hits of 24 shots fired, with 11 on the 3x5 card.

One thing I was happy about - I shot the reload stage clean in 11-something, using a Speed Strip from my pocket. And I learned some weak points to work on - settle down a little on the draw, and don’t try to catch the link on a gun that doesn’t have one.

Name:  0F9DB04D-1A94-45B8-923D-12EBD7DB6C14.jpg
Views: 309
Size:  24.2 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Gun Nerd View Post
    I tried this one tonight with my LCR .38, City Special AIWB under a polo shirt.

It’s pretty spicy. I managed to fail on four separate strings:

Thanks for giving it a try. Each time I have shot it has been with a 3" model 65. I've ordered a holster for a 3" J frame and will try it with it once I get the holster.
    I had an ER nurse in a class. I noticed she kept taking all head shots. Her response when asked why, "'I've seen too many people who have been shot in the chest putting up a fight in the ER." Point taken.

Quote Originally Posted by jlw View Post
    Thanks for giving it a try. Each time I have shot it has been with a 3" model 65. I've ordered a holster for a 3" J frame and will try it with it once I get the holster.
    Thanks for posting it. I'd be very interested to see other folks' results.

I need to try it with a K-frame for comparison. I think the extra time I spent recovering from recoil detracted from cleaning up my sight picture. And the K-frame trigger doesn't have that false reset that makes me short-stroke the LCR.

Deleted due to piss poor reading comprehension.
    Men freely believe that which they desire.
    Julius Caesar

I tried it again, this time with a 2.5” Model 66 from AIWB. Huge difference - I scored 20 hits on the 3x5 card, but still failed due to two misses (on the 3-yard SHO stage and reload stage, each about 1/16” from cutting the line). I also went 0.01 seconds (@#$&!) overtime on the 5-yard draw stage.

I noticed one typo on the blog post and PDF - the string numbers jump from 4 to 6, without a string 5.

Name:  D194149F-5559-4274-A806-96B2310AEFE6.jpg
Views: 221
Size:  19.9 KB

User Tag List