Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: A 4500 family......

Site Supporter
    Thanks in part to @Lost River, I have wild dreams about my perfect 3rd Gen.

A no rail 4563, spurless hammer, the extended safety and no magazine safety.

I used to run Ed Brown decockers on my 4500s and they were preferred however most that I bought needed some sort of fitting.

On one, the firing pin cuts on the barrel assembly was much tighter tolerances compared to the factory. It would not work on my set up and I had to file and sand to open it up. It was a PITA.

On another one, the spring/detent hole was not drilled properly.... Ed Brown told me to drill the hole deeper.

I agree the were much easier on the thumb than the factory.
    If you're going to be a bear….be a GRIZZLY!

Quote Originally Posted by TheNewbie View Post
    Thanks in part to @Lost River, I have wild dreams about my perfect 3rd Gen.

A no rail 4563, spurless hammer, the extended safety and no magazine safety.
    I used to get bit by the hammer on a 4500 due to hand size. I always wanted to put a factory spurless hammer on my 45s but they needed to fit the old duty holster Safariland 070 and one of the retentions was the thumb break over the spurred hammer.

so, I would dremel trim the point of the hammer spur to where it would not make contact my hand.

my dad's Shorty 45 had the spurless hammer and it was perfect for me.

Your hands are big enough to get bit off of a 4506? My God man. How did you get your finger in the trigger guard? I've worked with guys like you (electrician). Could palm a medicine ball, and no kidding. Some of 'em were short, too. Like only 6' 8".

Cat

Site Supporter

3rd Gen 5906

22 years ago when I went through our academy, they were still having us shoot the 5906 3rd Gen.

I have to tell you that those well worn 5906 9's had the absolutely smoothest double action triggers and the single action was extremly smooth.

They had 10's of thousands of rounds through them and well maintained by the armorers. It really impressed me how durable those all steel 3rd Gen SW pistols were.

The agency that I started at issued the 4566 at the time but authorized most everything else.

I really wish the 3rd gen 9 and .45 models would be re-released.

Anyone need some, as in 9, factory 4516 mags, give me a holler

Quote Originally Posted by Catshooter View Post
    Your hands are big enough to get bit off of a 4506? My God man. How did you get your finger in the trigger guard? I've worked with guys like you (electrician). Could palm a medicine ball, and no kidding. Some of 'em were short, too. Like only 6' 8".

Cat
    I have to finesse my finger in a 1911 trigger guard. 4500 has a roomier trigger guard than 1911.

This is a Dan Wesson full size grip and commander slide

In the 7th grade I was one of bigger guys in class at 5' 7". That was all she wrote though and things were different after the next summer . . . life is so unfair.

Tall people got no reason!

Cat

@SW CQB 45

Are you Andre the Giant's long lost twin brother?
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Quote Originally Posted by SW CQB 45 View Post
    I used to run Ed Brown decockers on my 4500s and they were preferred however most that I bought needed some sort of fitting.

On one, the firing pin cuts on the barrel assembly was much tighter tolerances compared to the factory. It would not work on my set up and I had to file and sand to open it up. It was a PITA.

On another one, the spring/detent hole was not drilled properly.... Ed Brown told me to drill the hole deeper.

I agree the were much easier on the thumb than the factory.
    Most dont know Ed Brown made parts for S&W 3rd gens. AFAIK they made slide releases and decockers. I wonder what they go for, if they are as sought after as the Ed Brown cylinder releases for S&W K/L/N frames.

User Tag List