Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: A 4500 family......

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Trooper224 View Post
    Out of curiosity, did they ever come clean on the problem? I know you've slept a time or two since then, but it would be interesting to know what the issue was.
    It all started with putting the gun back together after a cleaning. The slide would not retract on the frame. I had it apart multiple times before and this time it would not go back together. I got it to the warranty center so they could look at it while I waited. They could not get it back together either. They told me they had to keep it to figure it out and fix it. I left it with them and they called me a couple of days later to tell me it was fixed.

The warranty center was also a large indoor range. When they called for me to pick it up they said it was fixed. When I arrived they said it was good to go but the range was being renovated so they could not test fire it. Because it was my duty gun I didn't have faith in not test firing it. I drove out to an area where I could test it and it would not fire, at all.

I returned to the warranty center and they told me they filed a part down related to the firing pin to get it back together. (Yup they said that). I guess they made the part too short. They had to ship it back to Smith and Wesson to have them fix it. Once it got there Smith and Wesson and the warranty center got in a pissing contest over who was going to pay for the fix. I think the part was $34 if I remember correctly and they finally fixed it and shipped it back to the warranty center. I picked it up and it fired okay but I lost faith in it.

I ended up carrying the 5906 instead at a time when 9mm ammo was sub par. Eventually the Dept. I worked for went to Sigs instead of Model 13's so I put the 5906 away and opted for a P229, switching later to a P226 in 9mm.

Quote Originally Posted by Trooper224 View Post
    First a Philistine and now a barbarian! My god man, you probably like ketchup on your hotdog.

Every one of those early guns chambered in .40 S&W had problems, regardless of manufacturer, since the early models were just retrofitted 9mms. I honestly think the line was on the way out by that time and nothing was going to save it. The bean counters want cheap and the troops want light and moronically easy to use. (in the end there's nothing wrong with any of that) Glock kicked their ass in both departments. Military contracts were the only reason Sig P series and Beretta 90 series guns survived. If it weren't for that buffer they'd be history too.
    What I meant is the integrated pic rail, decocker only enhancements. The Smith .40 guns just got a bad rap.

Quote Originally Posted by steve View Post
    It all started with putting the gun back together after a cleaning. The slide would not retract on the frame. I had it apart multiple times before and this time it would not go back together. I got it to the warranty center so they could look at it while I waited. They could not get it back together either. They told me they had to keep it to figure it out and fix it. I left it with them and they called me a couple of days later to tell me it was fixed.

The warranty center was also a large indoor range. When they called for me to pick it up they said it was fixed. When I arrived they said it was good to go but the range was being renovated so they could not test fire it. Because it was my duty gun I didn't have faith in not test firing it. I drove out to an area where I could test it and it would not fire, at all.

I returned to the warranty center and they told me they filed a part down related to the firing pin to get it back together. (Yup they said that). I guess they made the part too short. They had to ship it back to Smith and Wesson to have them fix it. Once it got there Smith and Wesson and the warranty center got in a pissing contest over who was going to pay for the fix. I think the part was $34 if I remember correctly and they finally fixed it and shipped it back to the warranty center. I picked it up and it fired okay but I lost faith in it.

I ended up carrying the 5906 instead at a time when 9mm ammo was sub par. Eventually the Dept. I worked for went to Sigs instead of Model 13's so I put the 5906 away and opted for a P229, switching later to a P226 in 9mm.
    Good lord, that sounds like a complete Charlie Foxtrot. I can understand your frustration.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

So hawt. I’ve been a 4506 luster since Training Day.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam View Post
    So hawt. I’ve been a 4506 luster since Training Day.
    The best 4506 movie is Street Kings. Even carries it true LAPD style while in uniform.

Quote Originally Posted by steve View Post
    My duty gun in 1990 was a 4506 with the square trigger guard(my own). I liked it so much I bought a 5906. The 4506 started having light firing pin strikes and I took it to the S&W warranty center. They "fixed it" and told me they could not test fire it. I took it out and click it went. I thought I didn't put a round in the chamber, pulled the slide back and out it came. Tried again and click. They had to send it back to Mass and then it sat in limbo while they argued over who would pay for it. I lost faith in it an sold it when I got it back. I did keep the 5906 and carried it for a couple of years, still have that one.
    My CQB started to misfire..... I diagnosed the issue was Hogue rubber grips.

My grip was so tight, I was pressing the web area to the point where the inner grip was making contact with the hammer strut.

I also saw some hammer strut marks on my plastic factory "slipperies" (thats what I called factory SW grips)

my fix was 1076 grips with grip tape and another 1076 grip with grit paint. you can see both in this image

If you're going to be a bear….be a GRIZZLY!

"Passion of the Gun" indeed!
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

Word is that 9/10 people get kilt in da street after viewing this thread.

Beautiful family you got there, Trooper.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by TheNewbie View Post
    The best 4506 movie is Street Kings. Even carries it true LAPD style while in uniform.
    I watched this movie specifically because it featured a 4506. And if going through IMFDB to see what movies have certain guns I'm into is wrong... I don't wanna be right.

A few years ago, I was really into the big bore 3rd gens. At one point I had a 645, a 4566, a 1076 and two 4516-2s. The only one I still have is the 645. I had some arbitrary FTFs with one of the 4516s, the 4566 and the 1076. So, they kinda lost their magic to me. The 645, however, has never missed a beat. I had a 110 lb girl who'd never even seen a gun shoot it... it cycled fine. And it DOES cycle empty cases, as I've found.

Name:  3632C2F8-1DAF-41D3-8B71-A3F63CDCAAD1.jpg
Views: 381
Size:  34.7 KB

I like the fact that the 645 has removable grip panels. The stock delrins on the 45XXs were a little too thin for me. I have Pachmayrs on my 645--I find them sufficiently hand filling. That said, if you can find the palm swell delrin grips they used on the 1076, they're actually very comfortable. That's what came on mine. Damn I loved that 1076. I felt betrayed when it started jamming for no freakin reason. Sigh.

In the future, I probably wouldn't go for anything less than a 5 inch in a big-bore Smith. I'd like to get a 4506-1 at some point. I like it just because it's the ultimate in terms of beefy steel 3rd gen awesomeness--slightly thicker slide and a non-stepped frame, vs. the no dash.

All that said, I think I shoot a P220 better. But I don't think I'll ever sell my 645.
    Last edited by MattyD380; 03-31-2021 at 12:41 AM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by MattyD380 View Post
    I watched this movie specifically because it featured a 4506. And if going through IMFDB to see what movies have certain guns I'm into is wrong... I don't wanna be right.

A few years ago, I was really into the big bore 3rd gens. At one point I had a 645, a 4566, a 1076 and two 4516-2s. The only one I still have is the 645. I had some arbitrary FTFs with one of the 4516s, the 4566 and the 1076. So, they kinda lost their magic to me. The 645, however, has never missed a beat. I had a 110 lb girl who'd never even seen a gun shoot it... it cycled fine. And it DOES cycle empty cases, as I've found.

Name:  3632C2F8-1DAF-41D3-8B71-A3F63CDCAAD1.jpg
Views: 381
Size:  34.7 KB

I like the fact that the 645 has removable grip panels. The stock delrins on the 45XXs were a little too thin for me. I have Pachmayrs on my 645--I find them sufficiently hand filling. That said, if you can find the palm swell delrin grips they used on the 1076, they're actually very comfortable. That's what came on mine. Damn I loved that 1076. I felt betrayed when it started jamming for no freakin reason. Sigh.

In the future, I probably wouldn't go for anything less than a 5 inch in a big-bore Smith. I'd like to get a 4506-1 at some point. I like it just because it's the ultimate in terms of beefy steel 3rd gen awesomeness--slightly thicker slide and a non-stepped frame, vs. the no dash.

All that said, I think I shoot a P220 better. But I don't think I'll ever sell my 645.

Any idea what was up with the FTFs?

What are your impressions of the 4516?

User Tag List