Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: A 4500 family......

Site Supporter
    My duty gun in 1990 was a 4506 with the square trigger guard(my own). I liked it so much I bought a 5906. The 4506 started having light firing pin strikes and I took it to the S&W warranty center. They "fixed it" and told me they could not test fire it. I took it out and click it went. I thought I didn't put a round in the chamber, pulled the slide back and out it came. Tried again and click. They had to send it back to Mass and then it sat in limbo while they argued over who would pay for it. I lost faith in it an sold it when I got it back. I did keep the 5906 and carried it for a couple of years, still have that one.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by Oldherkpilot View Post
    I'm a fan of the big Smiths, too. Do you have a belt holster in addition to the shoulder holster? If yes, I'd be interested to know what you're using. Thanks.
    The shoulder rig is for specific occasions, like the aforementioned road trip. Otherwise, I carry IWB. I'm currently using an IWB holster for a Beretta 92, from the now defunct International Handgun Leather Co. It fits fine and will serve until my Sparks VM-2 arrives. I'm also using a mag pouch from Privateer Leather, the Double Barracuda. It's fitted for 1911 mags, but works with the 4506 mags just fine.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

Quote Originally Posted by Hot Cereal View Post
    10/10 if S&W brought back the 5906 and 4506/66 they’d sell like crazy.
    If they had stayed in production, I often wonder what they'd be like with the benefit of a couple of decades of further refinement, like their contemporaries from Beretta and Sig.

The 3rd gen S&Ws were superior handguns. Unfortunately no longer made. So, I understand your passion for accumulating... "spares"...

Having learned to shoot with revolvers, I am kind of a DAO fan myself.

Paraphrasing Wyatt Earp: The first shot is twice as important as the second shot, the 2nd shot is twice as important as the 3rd shot, the 3rd shot is twice as important as the 4th shot, the 4th shot is twice as important as the 5th shot…

Quote Originally Posted by Trooper224 View Post
    If they had stayed in production, I often wonder what they'd be like with the benefit of a couple of decades of further refinement, like their contemporaries from Beretta and Sig.
    If they had figured out how to put that action into a polymer frame we might have never seen the M&P. The issues with the alloy 4000 series guns was a black eye and a number of places ditched them for Glocks. If they had phased production characteristics of the CHP 4006 and the Mexican SF 5906 to the rest of the line up those guns might have survived a bit longer.

Quote Originally Posted by Hot Cereal View Post
    If they had figured out how to put that action into a polymer frame we might have never seen the M&P.
    First a Philistine and now a barbarian! My god man, you probably like ketchup on your hotdog.

The issues with the alloy 4000 series guns was a black eye and a number of places ditched them for Glocks. If they had phased production characteristics of the CHP 4006 and the Mexican SF 5906 to the rest of the line up those guns might have survived a bit longer.
    Every one of those early guns chambered in .40 S&W had problems, regardless of manufacturer, since the early models were just retrofitted 9mms. I honestly think the line was on the way out by that time and nothing was going to save it. The bean counters want cheap and the troops want light and moronically easy to use. (in the end there's nothing wrong with any of that) Glock kicked their ass in both departments. Military contracts were the only reason Sig P series and Beretta 90 series guns survived. If it weren't for that buffer they'd be history too.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by wvincent View Post
    So, you just had to post this thread to remind me of the 4516 I traded for a ................Glock 19?
    Thanks, Dick

Like Cher sings, "If I could turn back time".

Really though, NICE 3 pistol setup. You have everything covered, and dang classy at that!
    I own and mostly carry glocks, but I would never trade my 4516-1 for one. Ever.

Quote Originally Posted by steve View Post
    My duty gun in 1990 was a 4506 with the square trigger guard(my own). I liked it so much I bought a 5906. The 4506 started having light firing pin strikes and I took it to the S&W warranty center. They "fixed it" and told me they could not test fire it. I took it out and click it went. I thought I didn't put a round in the chamber, pulled the slide back and out it came. Tried again and click. They had to send it back to Mass and then it sat in limbo while they argued over who would pay for it. I lost faith in it an sold it when I got it back. I did keep the 5906 and carried it for a couple of years, still have that one.
    Out of curiosity, did they ever come clean on the problem? I know you've slept a time or two since then, but it would be interesting to know what the issue was.

For the folks with 45xx desires, noticed a pair of 4516's here last night:

https://www.gunbroker.com/All/search...ellers=1910769

I've bought from the seller a couple times and had good experiences. Was actually at his listings looking at a 3" 13-3 but dithered and 30 minutes later it was gone...

Not up on the nuances of 3rd gen Smiths so no idea if the 4516's are a good value.

Quote Originally Posted by Trooper224 View Post
    So, the big question is........ Why on earth would I be adopting a weapon for carry that's heavy, low capacity and long out of production?
    Because pistol whipping never goes out of style.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

User Tag List