Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: A 4500 family......

645s are really hidden gems.

They are shooting machines and it would be tough to actually wear one out. One could do a lot worse than to have one of those as a their only .45.

Mrs. Awesome and I are touring Florida for most of this month. The 4566 will need a good detail strip when I get home, as I've been sweating all over it on a daily basis.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

Quote Originally Posted by MattyD380 View Post
    It’s got a little patina, but it still oozes Reaganomics and toxic masculinity.

Attachment 72865
    That pretty pretty much sums it up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Performance Center 4563 is the most accurate .45 I have (that I am aware of) next to my 1.5" Baer P-II. I have never taken the time to shoot target loads through my USP over a rest but the punch line is this uncommon old lightweight S&W is just amazing. I have been carrying it in a Versa max meant for another gun but eventually it will get its own.

I swear 4563s are the the best kept secret of the 3rd Gen .45s. I never realized how amazing the old PC CQB guns were. This one will never go anywhere. I have always said that when I retire Im going to pare things down to just a half dozen or so handguns. The PC gun is one of those ones that I did not know I needed in my life until I had one and now I definitely would not think of getting rid of it. Plus because of the fact it came from someone I think very highly of, I absolutely would never get rid of it anyways.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Lost River View Post
    So every once in a while you shoot a group or two that is far beyond the normal.

Now most places on the net guys cut that group out or save the single group and say they, or their gun do that "all day long, or "if I do my part". The other day before I had to do some traveling I ran out to shoot some test loads for product development and while I was there I ran some 185 grain SWCs through the 4563 Performance Center gun I acquired not too long ago from a good friend of many of ours.

This gun is absolutely crazy accurate. They were built with Briley bushings, hand fitted, etc, etc. The fitting and barrel lock-up is what you would expect on a 3K 1911.

The short version here though is my eyes are not that good anymore. Not like when I was 35. The front sight is a bit fuzzy. I had set the target stand up at what I thought was 25 yards. It ended up being just shy. 23-24 yards after I paced it off a couple times. I shot over an improvised rest over my hood. I could not see where the shots were landing, I just knew they were pretty spot on. Ends up the sights were exactly on for that load.

When I walked down there though, damn..

Yeah..

I just absolutely do not shoot like that.

That is a fluke.

Purely getting lined up on the bags exactly the same 2 times kind of thing. My eyes just cannot see like that anymore.

I understand the gun is capable, especially with a good target SWCs, but I seriously was saying WTF!

I called my buddy at the Milt Sparks shop and sent him pics as soon as I left the range. I absolutely had to show someone, He knows I can't shoot groups like that at 25 yards, so when you do, you have to show someone!

I think only gunwriters can shoot like that. Or all the commandos on ARfourteendotKom.

Lost - damn!!! That's some excellent shooting, the details don't matter. Reading your post had me nodding my head, laughing - and drooling, sometimes all at once. What can I say - I'm really old.
    "We are the domestic pets of a human zoo we call civilization."

Laurence Gonzales - "Deep Survival."

Site Supporter
    I wish SW would re-release the 3rd Gen TSW line .. I understand production costs etc but man what an excellent evolution

Quote Originally Posted by Lost River View Post
    The short version here though is my eyes are not that good anymore. Not like when I was 35. The front sight is a bit fuzzy. I had set the target stand up at what I thought was 25 yards. It ended up being just shy. 23-24 yards after I paced it off a couple times. I shot over an improvised rest over my hood. I could not see where the shots were landing, I just knew they were pretty spot on. Ends up the sights were exactly on for that load.
    If It will help you, though judging by your results they may not, there is a surprising number of sights for our beloved 3rd Gens. Warren Tactical makes several, to include blacked out front, tritium, and FO front sights, as well as some U-notch rears. Fusion makes a few sights that will fit as well. Dawson Precision has the largest array of sights, especially front sights.

I am going to pay a guy named BMCM on smith-wessonforum.com to convert several of my 3rd Gens to decock only (4506-1 and 2 3913s). I am also going to pay him to change the sights out, I am just not quite sure what I will go with.

BTW, if anyone here wants a nice 3953, a couple of mags, and a GF AIWB holster, holla at me.

I was working the streets when this gun was made. Never knew that model existed. Wow, nice shooting and great 4500 series Smith.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeke38 View Post
    I was working the streets when this gun was made. Never knew that model existed. Wow, nice shooting and great 4500 series Smith.

Yep,

I was carrying a 4586 for a while ( a full sized frame DAO) and absolutely despised that gun. Not only because of the terrible DAO trigger, but because as an FI it made quals a something not to look forward to. Nobody shot it well, and the usual bottom 10-15% were a disaster with it.

It soured me on 3rd Gen Smiths, and it took a number of years before I would come to discover what a joy the 4506 was/is as well as others with properly tuned actions.

The 4563 is a gun that needs re-introduced.

For most of this month Mrs. Awesome and I toured the famous/infamous state of Florida. We saw some great and not so great things, did some great and not so great stuff. We found that Florida is largely overrated as both a paradise and as a haven of the crazy and criminal. In both respects, it's much like anywhere else.

For this trip the 4566 was my other companion, carried IWB, with two spare magazines in an OWB carrier by Privateer Leather. It carried easily for me, anywhere from a restaurant to the beach. I sweated on it profusely and I'd hate to think of the shape a blued gun would be in after the same treatment. I haven't experienced that kind of humidity since South America and I was far younger and bouncier then. The only place I divested myself of it was The Kennedy Space Center. But, being a controlled facility I felt fairly confident leaving it in the car for a few hours. All in all, a pretty good travel companion.

We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

User Tag List