Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: A 4500 family......

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by SW CQB 45 View Post
    My CQB started to misfire..... I diagnosed the issue was Hogue rubber grips.

My grip was so tight, I was pressing the web area to the point where the inner grip was making contact with the hammer strut.

I also saw some hammer strut marks on my plastic factory "slipperies" (thats what I called factory SW grips)

my fix was 1076 grips with grip tape and another 1076 grip with grit paint. you can see both in this image

I'm trying to remember my issue. I did put Hogue grips on my 4506 but I don't know if it was before or after it went back for service. When all this initially happened I had the gun apart on my code 7 at my house, for what reason I don't remember. I put it back together and when I tried dry firing it nothing happened. I am trying to remember how I knew something was wrong. I know I wasn't using live rounds but something wasn't right. I kept taking it apart, putting it back together and something wasn't working. From memory I could not get the slide back on but it might have been I got it on and it just wasn't working. Initially I thought I broke it somehow when I took it apart.

I remember calling my Sergeant trying to explain my gun was broken and why this happened during Code 7; eventually taking it to the Service Center where they really broke it.

Site Supporter
    A 4506-1 was my first duty gun. When we transitioned to M&Ps we were able to buy them out at a very reasonable price. A buddy of mine (a former armorer in our Firearms Unit) hooked me up with brand new sights and springs just before the transition.

My biggest regret is not picking up a second from the folks who opted not to buy theirs out.
    Polite Professional

Quote Originally Posted by Half Moon View Post
    For the folks with 45xx desires, noticed a pair of 4516's here last night:

https://www.gunbroker.com/All/search...ellers=1910769

I've bought from the seller a couple times and had good experiences. Was actually at his listings looking at a 3" 13-3 but dithered and 30 minutes later it was gone...

Not up on the nuances of 3rd gen Smiths so no idea if the 4516's are a good value.
    Oh, man - memories. Back when the 3913 first came out I was broke as shit, but sold some stuff to afford one. When I got to my local pusher’s, he pulled the just arrived 3913 that he ordered for me out and laid it on the counter, and then with an evil grin a 4516 that came in the same shipment. I stood there for about ten minutes going back and forth, knowing that I could only afford one. The 3913 won out, but I’ve always regretted not having him hold that 4516 while I sold a kidney or something.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by TheNewbie View Post
    Any idea what was up with the FTFs?

What are your impressions of the 4516?
    I'm not sure. They seemed... arbitrary. On the 1076, it seemed like the rounds were getting ahead of the extractor claw? I tried some different recoil spring weights--still happened. Some guys on the Smith forum said maybe I was limp-wristing. I dunno, maybe--but it didn't seem like it. Either way, if it's gonna jam that easily I'm not sure it's a gun I want. The 4566 was basically brand new, so I was inclined to give it a pass... it had one of those "nose-angled-up-toward-the-roof-of-the-chamber" FTFs. But, I just didn't like the way it shot as well as the others, for whatever reason. If I recall, the 4516-2 had a few those same kind of FTFs in the same range session.

The 4516s shot well. I was able to put up some very nice groups at 10 even 15 yards. Though, in retrospect, I feel all these guns could benefit from some skateboard tape around the delrin grips. Aside from being heavy, 4516 carried well--thin grip, slide wasn't too bulky. In the end, I just didn't really trust them. I guess I'm inclined to believe the Smith .45/10mm platform is best in a 5 inch. I tried a bunch of different "compact" DA/SA .45s around that time (including an HK45 and a USPc 45). Settled on the P245. It checks all the boxes for me and it shoots just as well as a full size P220.

Quote Originally Posted by Trooper224 View Post
    The guns are certainly very cool, but am I the only one to whom the most impressive part is that holy cow this bloke has TWENTY 4506 magazines! And they all look original, not Pro-Mags! O.o

(Why yes, the supply of OEM magazines has been a tad thin around here... )

A most impressive collection of guns and gear.

Quote Originally Posted by That Guy View Post
    this bloke has TWENTY 4506 magazines!.... And they all look original
    'Merica! I see every generation of the factory mags represented. Excellent stockpile. I can remember a time when police trade S&W 645/45xx mags were going for <$20 each.

Name:  sw4500s.jpg
Views: 408
Size:  55.7 KB

Quote Originally Posted by That Guy View Post
    The guns are certainly very cool, but am I the only one to whom the most impressive part is that holy cow this bloke has TWENTY 4506 magazines! And they all look original, not Pro-Mags! O.o

(Why yes, the supply of OEM magazines has been a tad thin around here... )

A most impressive collection of guns and gear.
    Twenty four, you forgot to count the ones in the pistols and one got left out.
    Last edited by Trooper224; 04-02-2021 at 11:18 AM.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

Quote Originally Posted by fatdog View Post
    'Merica! I see every generation of the factory mags represented. Excellent stockpile. I can remember a time when police trade S&W 645/45xx mags were going for <$20 each.

Name:  sw4500s.jpg
Views: 408
Size:  55.7 KB
    I keep hoping Mec Gar will step up on that front, but no joy. Two or three years ago, I was being chided for spending $35-$40 on 4506 mags. I told my shooting buddies (who won't bat an eye over spending $100 on a Staccato mag, but think Tula ammo is outrageously priced), "Just wait, they won't be that cheap forever." Prices are now starting to climb.

Last summer I found an original, first gen 645 mag on the miscellaneous table at a local gun shop. It wasn't priced so I asked the manager, "How much?" He replied, "Make me an offer." Oh, we're playing that game, "Five dollars." He grinned and said, "I'd like at least fifteen." Oh, okay..............
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

Site Supporter
    I found an old pic of mine in my duty rig. Thinking back that thing was huge, I went from that to a P225 years later.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Like mine.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

User Tag List