Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: G26 Reliability With Larger Magazines?

I don't understand why there should be a problem using higher capacity mag. G26 specified the option of using higher capacity mag. I can't say anything about aftermarket mags, just use Glock mags.

Quote Originally Posted by DanM View Post
    Maybe I’m just unlucky. I’ve had two stoppages in a Gen4 G26 (one using frangible ammo in a G17 mag, another using 124 gr +P GDHP in a G17 mag) and two stoppages in a Gen5 G26 (one with Blazer Brass in a G19 mag, and one with Speer Lawman in a G19 mag). The frangible stuff is always iffy and Blazer isn’t the best ammo around, but Speer Lawman and Gold Dot are solid. The G17 mags in question only have a couple thousand rounds between them so they aren’t worn out. The G19 mags are a bit more worn and are my default practice mags.

Then again, I’ve never seen the kind of amazing functional reliability in my Glocks that I have heard some others claim to have experienced. I’ve owned a Gen3 G19, 2 Gen4 G19s, 2 Gen5 G19s, a Gen4 G26, and a Gen5 G26. The only one I can for sure say has not malfunctioned yet is the newer Gen4 G19 which currently has approximately 2k rounds through it. I believe the Gen3 G19 didn’t malfunction in the 6k or so rounds I put through it while I owned it, but I wasn’t keeping track back then like I do now so I can’t say for sure.
    You sure it's not the ammo you use? Do you have any problem using the original 10 rounds mag that came with the gun? If you have the same problem with the original 10 rounds mag, then it's not the G17 mag that's the problem. Either you are very unlucky to have multiple Glocks that fail or more likely it's the ammo. I never manage to make my Colt Gold Cup totally reliable with Blazer JHP because the profile is like an ashtray!!!

Some times, strange things do happen. I have Colt Gold Cup 45ACP, Walther PPK and S&W 659 9mm. EVERY SINGLE ONE failed. I had to do a lot of work myself to make them reliable. The Gold Cup still is not completely reliable with the Brazer JHP because of the extreme profile. I had to polish the chambers, feedramp. Had to work on the angle of the extractor and also polish the ejector port to fix all of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan0354 View Post
    You sure it's not the ammo you use? Do you have any problem using the original 10 rounds mag that came with the gun? If you have the same problem with the original 10 rounds mag, then it's not the G17 mag that's the problem. Either you are very unlucky to have multiple Glocks that fail or more likely it's the ammo. I never manage to make my Colt Gold Cup totally reliable with Blazer JHP because the profile is like an ashtray!!!
    The majority of the ball ammo I’ve shot within the past decade or so has been S&B or Blazer (mostly brass with some aluminum) with smaller amounts of Speer Lawman and Federal American Eagle. I wouldn’t say any of those are terrible except maybe Blazer Aluminum which was involved in the only malfunctions I’ve had on the Gen5 G19s. I have not had any malfunctions using the original 10 round mags in the G26s but not a ton of my shooting with G26s is done with flat baseplate 10 round mags. It’s mostly with either 10 round mags using either Pearce +0 pinky extensions or OEM Glock +2 extensions, or with G19 or G17 mags. The only time I carry a G26 with a flat baseplate 10 round mag is either in my pocket at home or on my ankle at work.
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

Quote Originally Posted by DanM View Post
    The majority of the ball ammo I’ve shot within the past decade or so has been S&B or Blazer (mostly brass with some aluminum) with smaller amounts of Speer Lawman and Federal American Eagle. I wouldn’t say any of those are terrible except maybe Blazer Aluminum which was involved in the only malfunctions I’ve had on the Gen5 G19s. I have not had any malfunctions using the original 10 round mags in the G26s but not a ton of my shooting with G26s is done with flat baseplate 10 round mags. It’s mostly with either 10 round mags using either Pearce +0 pinky extensions or OEM Glock +2 extensions, or with G19 or G17 mags. The only time I carry a G26 with a flat baseplate 10 round mag is either in my pocket at home or on my ankle at work.
    The Blazer with aluminum casing is really bad. I even had shell not ejecting in the Beretta 950BS until I polished the chamber. They were cheap though.

Well maybe you are unlucky as I was back in the days. Like I said, I had problem with 3 of my semis and had to do a lot of work to make them reliable. I just bought a G26 gen3, haven't shoot it yet as ammo is hard to get and expensive. I don't have to worry about longer mags as it's not legal in Kalif anyway. It's good to hear here that a lot of people have gen3 G26 and work very reliable.

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    I don't even dare put any of my Magpul 12's in my Gen5...not even to test. Strictly OEM mags in the Gen5.

(The Magpuls were flawless in my Gen 2.5)
    I only use my Magpul 12s as range mags, but they’ve been fine in my 26.5. The round count isn’t very high, though.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Qual day... my supervisor ran his G26 with G19 mags.... all was good.

that is not a G26 in my hands.

If you're going to be a bear….be a GRIZZLY!

Quote Originally Posted by SW CQB 45 View Post

Thanks for the update on the G26. Nice shooting too!

Site Supporter

Do you carry that for fighting giant moths while you’re casually strolling through Japanese cities .
    im strong, i can run faster than train

Site Supporter

Signature checks out...

Site Supporter
    Yep. The 5.0 seems a little more particular about its mags. I don't recall who it was, upon what they based their opinion, or even their background, but their rule was "one size up". 26 gets a 19. 19 gets a 17. 17 gets a 33. Something about leverage of the longer mag. I dunno. When I carried a 19 at work, I had 17 mags stashed in places of convenience. They fed the G26 2.5 and 3 just fine. Now that I have a 45 at work, I have Gen 5 17/45 mags stashed in places of convenience. My unholy affection for the 26 is, in part, fueled by the scalability factor. The 17 mags seem to work well in the G26 and refutes the one size up rule as others have seen in high volume use. It also means I can standardize my stashed mags to all 17s to scale "up" if needed. Except for travels to NJ, NY, CT etc... There, the flat 10 OEMs carry the day. Ok.. I'm rambling.
    "Knowledge is good." Emil Faber, date unknown.

Similar thing:

"The victor is not victorious if the vanquished does not consider himself so."
    ― Ennius

User Tag List