Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: DAO guns - general discussion/random finds

Quote Originally Posted by Joe in PNG View Post
    92's are pretty easy to convert to DAO- just remove the sear, and you have a DAO. But I don't think anyone has any kind of a plug for the slide to remove the safety/ decocker.
    However, there's a fair number of 92D Centurion kits on Everygunpart, and i think one could brew something without too much trouble.
    I still need to remove my sear but now I kinda want one of the slides and just get it relamped

Quote Originally Posted by backtrail540 View Post
    Nope just the stock g levers on the rdo. The plate is as wide or wider than the levers and i haven't noticed them once in the 1k rounds and daily dry practice I've had it. They're just there.

Originally i planned on something like that but they're so unnoticeable i abandoned the idea.
    Name:  20210330_110304.jpg
Views: 564
Size:  19.6 KB

I was wrong. I took a pic during dry practice today and the levers stick out a fair amount further than the plate.

They aren't bothersome or noticeable and i must've just thought them to be thinner than the plate despite reality. I guess that speaks to how much they get in the way.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post
    I like the DAK. If you treat it like a dao then it functions as one.
    I’m unfortunately all too familiar with the DAK. We issued them at work for over a decade, during which I watched people struggle with them. When I ran our local firearms program I carried one just to show the company gun was feasible but as soon as it was just me, I dumped it for a Glock and never looked back.

You can have all the DAKs.

My recommendation for a DAO remains Beretta.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    I’m unfortunately all too familiar with the DAK. We issued them at work for over a decade, during which I watched people struggle with them. When I ran our local firearms program I carried one just to show the company gun was feasible but as soon as it was just me, I dumped it for a Glock and never looked back.

Ive only shot them a few times. I prefer berettas anyways so Ive never owned one.

If you are just using the dak as a dao gun what issues did you notice?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post
    Ive only shot them a few times. I prefer berettas anyways so Ive never owned one.

If you are just using the dak as a dao gun what issues did you notice?
    I’m not a fan of shooting to reset but it’s common especially since many of our folks ran a 229DAK and a G26. When they tried to do so they would normally use the first reset which is about 2lbs heavier than the normal trigger pull after the second reset.

Even running the trigger properly, there is a certain staple gun feel to it vs a TDA or true DAO which almost encourages anticipation where as a true DAO has the opposite influence.

The 229s are tanks in terms of durability, and I have a DAK for nostalgia but it’s not something I’d really care to shoot again.

@Gadfly also has a fair amount of experience with the DAK.

Site Supporter
    I've shot a DAK 229 a few times and didn't mind it, but that's probably just because I like the Sig 229.

I'd probably like it more in DA/SA, but running it like a DAO trigger made it pretty easy to shoot well in the slower, more sterile range stall I rented it in.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

There is no one best choice for everyone, and your dislike for the DAK is just as valid as my appreciation of it.

To me, it provides a very "revolver-like" trigger pull that I shoot well. I "grew up" on revolvers and 1911s and find that the DAK trigger, like a few other DAO triggers, is very easy to shoot well. The only time the double reset (which is a bit weird as you say) comes into play is between shots and since I do not try to “find” or “ride” the reset, and the two resets are so close together, that it just doesn’t matter. From time to time I notice it, but rarely.

I don’t really like the term “slapping” the trigger, because it connotes a jerking or yanking motion, but for lack of a better term, for each shot I “slap” the trigger and then fully release the trigger before my sights are back on target. I don’t care about reset points. If I had started out on things like Glocks, or perhaps even DA/SA guns I might feel differently.

I would note that I am talking about defensive or LEO use, not guns for competition or play. I do not like the idea of releasing only to reset for defensive/LEO purposes…the risk of short stroking the gun is there and, in a life or death situation, I don’t think playing with reset points is the thing to do, except perhaps for those with exceptional skills under stress.

The DAK was designed to provide second shot capability (according to its designer and the patent application) and it also seems to offer some protection against short stroking. I don’t really care about those things due to the way I shoot. If the DAK had only the one reset, I suppose I might prefer it, but only a little. It just doesn't matter to how I shoot the gun.

If one really cares about reset points and has the ability to let the trigger out only as far as the reset point, then I guess a shooter could just use that first reset. It is still a very good DA trigger pull.
    Granted, the 92D and Px4 have equal or perhaps slightly better triggers, but are not guns I can carry at the moment.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xLLL...II8BE-XDh3yROn
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DbBdf3_mhtg

From Todd Green (I am sure many of you have read this before):

“Then there is the reset. The DAK does not use a rebounding hammer like a standard (DA/SA) SIG. Therefore, it relies on the slide cycling to place the gun in what SIG calls the ‘safety notch’ or firing position. In order to provide restrike capability — which SIG considers a worthwhile feature for a combat gun — the DAK needed a way to cock the trigger when it was not in the safety notch position. The result is that, instead of being a simple “true” DAO with a full length reset, there is also an intermediate reset on a DAK. This intermediate reset, which does not benefit from the full leverage of the modified DAK mechanism, is about 2# heavier than the ordinary trigger pull. So you can either release the trigger all the way out (like a DA revolver) and get that same ~7.5# trigger pull, or you can reset it half way and get ~9.5# trigger pull on follow up shots."

"In my experience, releasing the trigger all the way forward makes for much better results. Because the trigger on the DAK & LEM will move all the way forward between shots if you let it, you never run the risk of losing contact with the trigger between shots. This means much less chance of slapping the trigger when shooting at maximum speed. So for example, while my splits were a little slower with the DAK than with a DA/SA SIG (especially using the Short Reset Trigger version), I was much less likely to throw a shot with the DAK…the DAK is like shooting a DA revolver (not counting the intermediate reset)"

I'll jump into HCMs boat. I think the Sig DAK is an abortion. I was saddled with one for a few years (a blessedly short few years). I shot it well, but it took a lot more effort than it should have. It pretty well killed any enthusiasm I may have had for DAO semi-autos.

BTW: before anyone starts, no one needs to tell me my feelings are valid, I don't need that type of postmodernist affirmation.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by jd950 View Post
    There is no one best choice for everyone, and your dislike for the DAK is just as valid as my appreciation of it.

To me, it provides a very "revolver-like" trigger pull that I shoot well. I "grew up" on revolvers and 1911s and find that the DAK trigger, like a few other DAO triggers, is very easy to shoot well. The only time the double reset (which is a bit weird as you say) comes into play is between shots and since I do not try to “find” or “ride” the reset, and the two resets are so close together, that it just doesn’t matter. From time to time I notice it, but rarely.

I don’t really like the term “slapping” the trigger, because it connotes a jerking or yanking motion, but for lack of a better term, for each shot I “slap” the trigger and then fully release the trigger before my sights are back on target. I don’t care about reset points. If I had started out on things like Glocks, or perhaps even DA/SA guns I might feel differently.

I would note that I am talking about defensive or LEO use, not guns for competition or play. I do not like the idea of releasing only to reset for defensive/LEO purposes…the risk of short stroking the gun is there and, in a life or death situation, I don’t think playing with reset points is the thing to do, except perhaps for those with exceptional skills under stress.

The DAK was designed to provide second shot capability (according to its designer and the patent application) and it also seems to offer some protection against short stroking. I don’t really care about those things due to the way I shoot. If the DAK had only the one reset, I suppose I might prefer it, but only a little. It just doesn't matter to how I shoot the gun.

If one really cares about reset points and has the ability to let the trigger out only as far as the reset point, then I guess a shooter could just use that first reset. It is still a very good DA trigger pull.
    Granted, the 92D and Px4 have equal or perhaps slightly better triggers, but are not guns I can carry at the moment.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xLLL...II8BE-XDh3yROn
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DbBdf3_mhtg

From Todd Green (I am sure many of you have read this before):

“Then there is the reset. The DAK does not use a rebounding hammer like a standard (DA/SA) SIG. Therefore, it relies on the slide cycling to place the gun in what SIG calls the ‘safety notch’ or firing position. In order to provide restrike capability — which SIG considers a worthwhile feature for a combat gun — the DAK needed a way to cock the trigger when it was not in the safety notch position. The result is that, instead of being a simple “true” DAO with a full length reset, there is also an intermediate reset on a DAK. This intermediate reset, which does not benefit from the full leverage of the modified DAK mechanism, is about 2# heavier than the ordinary trigger pull. So you can either release the trigger all the way out (like a DA revolver) and get that same ~7.5# trigger pull, or you can reset it half way and get ~9.5# trigger pull on follow up shots."

"In my experience, releasing the trigger all the way forward makes for much better results. Because the trigger on the DAK & LEM will move all the way forward between shots if you let it, you never run the risk of losing contact with the trigger between shots. This means much less chance of slapping the trigger when shooting at maximum speed. So for example, while my splits were a little slower with the DAK than with a DA/SA SIG (especially using the Short Reset Trigger version), I was much less likely to throw a shot with the DAK…the DAK is like shooting a DA revolver (not counting the intermediate reset)"
    To be clear, my first duty gun was a GP-100 followed briefly by a TDA SIG, a D model Beretta and a USPC LEM. We had more latitude in off duty guns back in the day an I ran a Kahr K40 and a S&W 3954 before the USPC so my guns would be all DAO. I have no issue with DA or DA triggers but don't like the DAK in particular.

Like Trooper224, I shot it well, but it took a lot more effort than it should have. When we adopted the DAK, there was a window of time where TDA SIGs were inadvertently authorized. I considered putting a TDA 229 on the books but didn't because I felt I should be shooting the issued gun as head of the local firearms program. Kind of kicked myself for that but the G17 worked out fine.

It's one of those things that briefed well but disappointed in execution.

SIG has discontinued them so if you like DAK's get them while they are still available at surplus prices.
    Last edited by HCM; 03-30-2021 at 07:14 PM.

To be clear, my first duty gun was a GP-100 followed briefly by a TDA SIG, a D model Beretta and an LEM. I have no issue with DA or DA triggers but don't like the DAK in particular.

Like Trooper224, I shot it well, but it took a lot more effort than it should have. When we adopted the DAK, there was a window of time where TDA SIGs were inadvertently authorized. I considered putting a TDA 229 on the books but didn't because I felt I should be shooting the issued gun as head of the local firearms program. Kind of kicked myself for that but the G17 worked out fine.

It's one of those things that briefed well but disappointed in execution.
    They aren't available at surplus prices any more. For a while I could pick up DAK pistols pretty cheap, but now they go fast at good prices (except the P220, which I guess is not popular because it doesn't hold enough bullitses.

Don't burden yourself any longer. Send me that P229 DAK you have lying around and I will give it a good home. ;-)

User Tag List