Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast

Thread: DAO guns - general discussion/random finds

My Sig 250sc runs great also, and I have no trouble using my p229 no rail holsters for it.

Far Upper Midwest. Lower Midwest When I Absolutely Have To
    Local range/shop had a stainless DAO ‘Smith of some kind. Looked to be a 4”-ish barrel. 2 mags. $359. I stared a bit but walked away. I’d rather find a nice 4” K-frame.

I have to look, but I’m pretty sure my 229 still has the DAO parts in it. I went thru a “phase” before the Sigs went to the back of the safe. Nice smooth pull on it. It wasn’t the fastest for splits, but it was idiot proof in operation.
    Working diligently to enlarge my group size.

Quote Originally Posted by backtrail540 View Post
    I know there are a handful of us on here currently experimenting with or who are just general fans of the DAO guns at the moment. This can be a place to discuss rare finds or to talk about the things regarding dao guns that don't merit their own thread. I'm currently running a 92dxr with ltt rdo slide.

There are a few other dao designs I want to play with - namely a p250 (I know of at least one member who was running one well last year with various p320 modules), a dao variant of the px4 (seems easily switched with a d hammer assembly available at MGW), and one of the rare p09/07 dao guns for the mhs trials (dao parts were available at numerich for a bit, though I'm not sure of current availability).

I just came across this dao Hi Power on gunbroker and it intrigued me.
    https://www.gunbroker.com/item/895814715

I saw DB's m9a1 compact D build. I've got a d centurion slide/parts kit from everygunpartdotcom. Eventually I hope to get a compact lower to put it on.

What DAO guns have you ran/are running currently?
    I learned (still learning)to shoot with my p250c 9mm. I knew a lot of nothing about pistols/firearms in general (still don’t know shit) and the p250 had to deal with all the mistakes noobs make with anything. I’ve never once had any failures of any type. I’m probably north of 2500rounds to date. It was beyond frustrating shooting this pistol. I was doing tons of research on the pistol and it was pretty well obvious that people hated the duty trigger/travel. For beginners like myself, I think it’s another layer of safety and now I absolutely love my duty triggers, I love the long travel, I love the fact that I can have an entire conversation in the time it takes the trigger to break. I see people always tryna get match style triggers in there edc and that’s cool, you do you, and I’ll be lookin at how to make a trigger heavier 🤘. I recently bought my second firearm/pistol very recently and it’s nice and I’m happy with it so far...I have yet to shoot it but hey, soon. The only reason I bought another one was someone told me that saying “beware the man with one gun”. I totally get the philosophy but all I heard is “beware the man with one gun, he ultimately becomes a man with no gun”. Shit breaks, were humans. So that lead me to buy my 2nd. But it’ll be difficult for me to replace my p250c as edc because I would honestly stake my life on that pistol firing each and every time. I do 99% of my shooting in the country outside city limits and have actually dropped it in muddy nasty muck water that’s been baking in the summer sun for days. It was so gnarly that it was teaming with life. Still went bang. If I remember right, that muck water blasted right in me mouth. I know the p250 has a bad rap but I don’t care. I bought this pistol just about a year ago now and all I’ve done is bought the Gen2 grip module w/SCA and a factory recoil spring.

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by entropy View Post
    Local range/shop had a stainless DAO ‘Smith of some kind. Looked to be a 4”-ish barrel. 2 mags. $359. I stared a bit but walked away. I’d rather find a nice 4” K-frame.
    I have a 6946, which is akin to having a 13-shot revolver (or 11-shot, since I moved).
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

A PX4 C-note: Cannot be converted to the Langdon RDO sight system.

"I shot the PX4 before it was cool" also. (It was the PX4 C version also). I came back to this platform last year and paid way too much for revisiting the past. The C does not have re-strike capability but the trigger qualities really are better than the D. So, if it misfires, pretend you have a Glock with a misfire. Further note: both Cs and Ds are full size only, if that matters to you.

Anyway, I sent my C model to Langdon a couple of weeks ago and it was promptly returned to me with the note that it was not eligible for their RDO cut. I'm not entirely clear why but kudos to Langdon for a very fast return of my slide anyway.
    My apologies to weasels.

I've got a few DAOs that I like to shoot. P229 DAO, P229 DAK, and a P250. All in .40.

Quote Originally Posted by roboster2013 View Post
    I've got a few DAOs that I like to shoot. P229 DAO, P229 DAK, and a P250. All in .40.
    Very nice line up! Tell me, do the other dao Sig models you own have a high bore axis? I’ve heard lots of ppl bust chops about it. But comparing my striker pistol that has a lower bore axis to my Sig , seems the grip on the p250c’s beaver tail is definitely to my liking. Do all typical dao pistols have a higher bore axis then typical strikers’ due to the hammer or is that more of just a design thing?

Quote Originally Posted by Dog Guy View Post
    I'm very happy with mine for reasons already described by others. My first gen was a mess, but my 2nd gen are all fine. The down side is the lack of aftermarket items like sights, holsters, etc. I'd love to mount a red dot on mine since my eyes are not getting along well with iron sights anymore so if anyone has a lead on getting P250 milling done, chime in (probably Holosun).
    I tried every Avenue of milling my p250c and it can’t be done for two main reasons
    This is what I was told by Sig and several parts manufacturers.
    1-rear irons are apart of the firing mechanism
    2-there’s not enough “meat” left on the slide to mount a red dot properly.

I have considered some type of bonding agent but that’s going to far if you ask me

Quote Originally Posted by 1dude1dog1gun View Post
    Very nice line up! Tell me, do the other dao Sig models you own have a high bore axis? I’ve heard lots of ppl bust chops about it. But comparing my striker pistol that has a lower bore axis to my Sig , seems the grip on the p250c’s beaver tail is definitely to my liking. Do all typical dao pistols have a higher bore axis then typical strikers’ due to the hammer or is that more of just a design thing?
    From a technical standpoint, they do have a higher bore axis in that the axis is higher from the shooters grip than say a Glock. But I don't feel like it affects the way it shoots appreciably recoil and accuracy wise, and I don't think the amount of muzzle flip is all that bad. I like my 229s a lot, and I shoot them reasonably well. Hammer fired handguns do tend to have a higher bore axis than striker fired guns, but they also have a lower alignment index (The alignment of the centerline of the trigger, to the centerline of the grip curve) than a striker fired gun. So, there are trade offs with every platform.

Came across these dao conversions for fans of the sig sp's.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/929472442
    "...we suffer more in imagination than in reality." Seneca, probably.

User Tag List