Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: DAO guns - general discussion/random finds

Quote Originally Posted by TheNewbie View Post
    Where are these DB podcast/interviews to be found?
    On Duty/Off Duty or Primary and Secondary.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Both episodes of the OD/OD show were excellent, as were a few he did on Civilian Carry Radio, one of which included Chuck Haggard.

A couple of years ago, I bought a P220 DAK on impulse. It was amazing. So smooth, and it was cheap! Thinking, "I really like the DAK trigger", I bought a P229 DAK. Another PD trade in. Well now, it wasn't even in the same universe as the P220. I hated it. I got rid of it pretty quickly, and soon bought a DAO P226 that was an ex-NYPD gun. I wasn't impressed, and soon converted that over to DA/SA. So far, I haven't shot another DAK gun that is even close to the P220. A couple of the ones I have tried are custom ones and the work they had done on them alone cost as much as my gun did! Quite a few people have shot my P220 and they all say the same thing, "If my DAK was like that, I would still have it!". I've been offered a nice chunk of change for it, but it's not going anywhere. Great gun at $400, with new night sights, the tuned up DAK trigger, and in about 98%+ condition. I don't have any pics of it, it's in the back of the safe. I wish I knew what dept it came from and who did the work on it. If I could, I would buy a cheap P226 DAK next time I see one and send it to them to get the trigger my P220 DAK does.

Site Supporter
    The 92 dao is my all time favorite. I mastered da long before ever shooting one. I regret not keeping the one I had. After reading the thread, I conclude that mastering what you got is the essential element. I know that sounds common place or trite. We here can perform well with various platforms; hence we are discussing what we prefer. I think dao pistols may have lower incidences of nd's. I see that as their advantage and not anything else. But I am not a professional. I shoot dirt clods and stumps.

Always between two major rivers that begin with the letter "M."
    Quote Originally Posted by willie View Post
    The 92 dao is my all time favorite. I mastered da long before ever shooting one. I regret not keeping the one I had. After reading the thread, I conclude that mastering what you got is the essential element. I know that sounds common place or trite. We here can perform well with various platforms; hence we are discussing what we prefer. I think dao pistols may have lower incidences of nd's. I see that as their advantage and not anything else. But I am not a professional. I shoot dirt clods and stumps.
    And empty cans. Lots of empty cans.

What you say about mastering what you have should have been written on a card and tied to my tail a long time ago (the wife nods vigorously in the background). I was SO ready to get rid of my (now) favorite CCW handgun - a PX4 Subcompact - before I gave it a chance.

As for DAO, the low-key and humble NanX (vetted Nano with retrofitted APX grip frame and slide stop) remains my semiauto analogue for the J-frame. Newer things have tempted me, but I have got that one down solid and it is nice and reassuring vis-à-vis nd's.
    gn

"On the internet, nobody knows if you are a dog... or even a cat."

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by oregon45 View Post
    I have a 92DX that has a front sight that leans slightly to one side. This can be seen when focusing on the top of the front sight--however, because the sight is a "drive the dot" style and the rear sight is a U-notch, I've found that, when actually shooting, I don't notice the angle of the front sight. It's annoying that Beretta would let them out the door that way, but not enough to make me forego owning one--or three
    My 92DX arrived today, and the front sight looks fine, aside from being a little off center. To my eye, vertical alignment of the sight is perfect. A Berretta connoisseur might be able to find some blemish, but there's nothing that jumps out to my eye. My trigger pull gauge tops out at 10 lbs, and the pull on this pistol seems to be well above that. It's smooth, but with some stacking at the end. I should have time to shoot it this weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by wvincent View Post
    Yep, I love that 2011 trigger, and the way that grip module absorbs that recoil. Sometimes maybe a little too much.
    I just need to develop the self discipline to not race the timer.

I guess I just need to go to HITS and let Bolke and Dobbs holler at me a bit. I suspect that will go a long way towards quitting that bad habit.
    One of the things I've worked in live fire is loading mags with 3 or fewer rounds and then setting a par time that is "generous" with a high accuracy standard. Example B8, 7 yards, 3 rounds, shot from concealment, 3.5 seconds par.

I think this is one real mental advantage of lower capacity guns. They force you to adopt an attitude for high accountability, because there won't be a lot of do-overs.

Site Supporter
    About the sights. Remember that these are military weapons. Most likely Beretta used a jig to install and align the sights. Poi will be within that saucer at 25 yards. Look at the the slide and barrel from the front end. I never saw one where the barrel appeared perfectly centered. Since both front and rear sights move within slots, the owner has much adjustment freedom. But remember that moving the front sight to the left moves impact point to the right. I was 50 years old before I learned to quit fixing shit that was not broke. Sometimes it's difficult.

Quote Originally Posted by David S. View Post
    I was fortunate enough to attend Darryl and Wayne's High Accountability Workshop a couple weeks ago.

Darryl ran us through several challenging drills on relatively small targets with no-shoots everywhere, and the firing solution (number of rounds and location) wasn't obvious. He demonstrated that once things got challenging, split times for everybody jumped to .50 to 1.00+ second splits, regardless of skill level. The task complexity and cognitive load were the limiting factor, not the trigger style.

Another thing I noted was decocking, and presumably safety-ing the gun. I've been doing the DA/SA thing for a couple years now and haven't noticed any trouble following a relatively strict decock protocol in training/practice/sport, but during the class I neglected to decock on several transitions that definitely deserved decocks. I don't think I missed the decock because I was overloaded so much as because I hadn't worked that type of transition before, the actions didn't "trigger" a decock response. Honestly this was one of my bigger takeaways from the class and I saw the benefit of a DAO gun for this type of work.

That was pretty much my take-away from the class as well. I made a point of shooting the class with three different pistols - all .22's. I wanted to test the slightly heavier trigger pull but with a long DAO action.

So I went with a S&W 43c in the left front pocket, and Ruger LCR .22 in the right front pocket. Working from the pocket is something I frequently do, and it's usually with a DAO wheelgun.

Of course, shooting that last Snake drill with a suppressed Beretta 92 Vertec was done strictly for entertainment purposes. It was a hellova lot of fun, too! That thing is stupid quiet with a newly-cleaned Dead Air can on it, and fed with Fiocchi subsonics.

Quote Originally Posted by wvincent View Post

I guess I just need to go to HITS and let Bolke and Dobbs holler at me a bit. I suspect that will go a long way towards quitting that bad habit.

Dooo eeett!!

They are going to do another High Accountability class this fall.

And maybe a different class at Mead Hall this fall as well. I'll let ya know what I hear.

User Tag List