Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast

Thread: DAO guns - general discussion/random finds

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Quote Originally Posted by gunrascal View Post
    Anyone still use and like a sig p250?
    Yes.

Smoothest, lightest DAO trigger I have, and the springs are stock. Better than K frames, better than a 92D. I have one classic Sig that comes close, but it's a freak and also chokes on out-of-spec Winchester cases. It's been awhile since I've compared the P250 directly to my GP MC that's slicked up, but they are close in smoothness and the GP is heavier, no doubt.

The first P250 was a .22LR when they got blown out cheap on GB. That was pretty good as it came. I then picked up a .380. It had been a carry gun in FL and had some sand in it. When I got it all apart, I started looking, and had to slick up some surfaces just a bit. Then it was so much better, I had to do the same to the .22. They are both the same and both awesome now. Takes very little to get them there, and the surfaces that need work are, IMO, zero risk for any negative effect on function or safety.

I've had the .22LR keyhole at short distances with some powdercoated CCI ammo, but with different ammo, it's been fine.

Kinda wish I'd picked up a pair of 9s when they were cheapish.

Stopped thinking about picking up a .45 full size when I realized mags cost more than USP .45 mags, of which I already have enough.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

I've been pretty vocal about my use of the P250c her on PF and have two...one for duty/carry and one for practice. They are almost perfect, and therein lies the rub.
    I have small hands...glove size is 6C. I use the factory small grip modules and the trigger reach is just a hair beyond ideal, whereas the trigger reach on my K9 and SP101 are ideal for me. Sig used to offer a Short Reach Trigger for the P250, which might fix my issue, but supply has dried up, along with support like armorer tools, since it was discontinued. I have recently transitioned to a 1911 with short trigger/arched MSH/slim grips. The SAO trigger doesn't require as much leverage to operate as a DAO one.

That being said, my P250's are not going anywhere. They still stand bedside duty, when I'm doing dirty/nasty work, or when teaching, as a hammer-fired DA trigger is better for demonstrating trigger control and the like. I may try out one of the Wilson grip modules in the future. I really wish I could score a couple of the Short Reach Triggers.
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

I'm very happy with mine for reasons already described by others. My first gen was a mess, but my 2nd gen are all fine. The down side is the lack of aftermarket items like sights, holsters, etc. I'd love to mount a red dot on mine since my eyes are not getting along well with iron sights anymore so if anyone has a lead on getting P250 milling done, chime in (probably Holosun).

Far Upper Midwest. Lower Midwest When I Absolutely Have To
    What issues did you have with the first one?
    Working diligently to enlarge my group size.

Site Supporter
    Since we are going down that road.

Name:  0037B3AF-D0B5-4CE6-9AB8-9AD6BBC9DD7F.jpg
Views: 525
Size:  15.9 KB

Site Supporter
    I wish I had bought 5 or 6 P250 compacts when they were super cheap. That should last me a lifetime, even if a few went down.

At some point in the future, I am sure some high speed been there done that instructor will make the DAO popular again. Sadly that person is probably just being born and by the time he does it, I will be looking for that easy to rack slide more than a DAO gun.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Whitlock View Post
    I've been pretty vocal about my use of the P250c her on PF and have two...one for duty/carry and one for practice. They are almost perfect, and therein lies the rub.
    I have small hands...glove size is 6C. I use the factory small grip modules and the trigger reach is just a hair beyond ideal, whereas the trigger reach on my K9 and SP101 are ideal for me. Sig used to offer a Short Reach Trigger for the P250, which might fix my issue, but supply has dried up, along with support like armorer tools, since it was discontinued. I have recently transitioned to a 1911 with short trigger/arched MSH/slim grips. The SAO trigger doesn't require as much leverage to operate as a DAO one.

That being said, my P250's are not going anywhere. They still stand bedside duty, when I'm doing dirty/nasty work, or when teaching, as a hammer-fired DA trigger is better for demonstrating trigger control and the like. I may try out one of the Wilson grip modules in the future. I really wish I could score a couple of the Short Reach Triggers.
    I love mine as described earlier in this thread.
    They pop up for sale occasionally in the VA Gun Trader page.
    I want another one.

Quote Originally Posted by entropy View Post
    What issues did you have with the first one?
    My son bought a 1st generation P250 as soon as he could find one. It was a dream to shoot; the trigger pull weight was like a Glock and, while trigger travel was long, the trigger stroke was as smooth as a S&W revolver with custom trigger work.

Unfortunately, the gun started having light primer strikes after about 100 rounds. The more the gun was shot, the more frequent were the light strikes, until the gun would not shoot at all. That turned out to be a fairly frequent problem until the 2nd generation guns were introduced.

BTW the "mainspring" of a P250 is a set of 2 nested springs located inside the hammer. It should have been no surprise that such a unique design would have initial problems.
    Last edited by gc70; 04-04-2021 at 09:04 AM.

My p250 gen 1 had light primer strikes. It also had numerous failures to extract with several different brands/loads. Most of those were pretty tight in the chamber when I tapped them out with a dowel, so I expect the chamber was out of spec. I have in mind that there were three issues, but it's been a while and I don't remember what number three was. I just lost confidence in it so I sold it with full disclosure and went Glock 19. I'd probably still be G19 but a nerve injury made the DAO trigger stroke a better bet for me, and Sig had solved the p250 issues so I went back. I have two late manufacture p250c and two p250sc in 9mm and all four of them have run without a hiccup.

NOS 5946 buy it now for $680 on GB

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/896444502
    Quote Originally Posted by MattyD380 View Post
    Because buying cool, interesting guns I don't need isn't a decision... it's a lifestyle...

User Tag List