Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: DAO guns - general discussion/random finds

DAO guns - general discussion/random finds

I know there are a handful of us on here currently experimenting with or who are just general fans of the DAO guns at the moment. This can be a place to discuss rare finds or to talk about the things regarding dao guns that don't merit their own thread. I'm currently running a 92dxr with ltt rdo slide.

There are a few other dao designs I want to play with - namely a p250 (I know of at least one member who was running one well last year with various p320 modules), a dao variant of the px4 (seems easily switched with a d hammer assembly available at MGW), and one of the rare p09/07 dao guns for the mhs trials (dao parts were available at numerich for a bit, though I'm not sure of current availability).

I just came across this dao Hi Power on gunbroker and it intrigued me.
    https://www.gunbroker.com/item/895814715

I saw DB's m9a1 compact D build. I've got a d centurion slide/parts kit from everygunpartdotcom. Eventually I hope to get a compact lower to put it on.

What DAO guns have you ran/are running currently?

Following with interest. My only DAO at the moment is a snubby revolver, but very interested in finding a 229 DAK or exploring the PX4 again.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    I've got a police trade-in PX4 D that was one of the ones that Southern Ohio Guns was selling a couple of years ago for ~$250. I sent it to Langdon for a trigger job and Ameriglo sights, though I specified a hammer spring heavy enough to pop anything. It's pretty sweet. I think of it as my 18-shot K frame, though I still can't shoot it as well as a K frame for some reason. I've been carrying it or a K frame lately.

I believe a px4 compact with Langdon's new red dot solution, once it drops, will be something I explore next. Then, like the 92, it isn't too much work(from what I gather) to go back to da/sa if/when I'm over playing around in the dao world.

For absolute performance in a hammer gun, the da/sa is great. I lose about a 1/10 when pushing raw splits to a high percentage target at 7(an A zone for instance). I can get high teens with my p09 or a da/sa beretta, whereas my 92d I've only gotten down to .24 range. But I've noticed across my performance tracking so far, with the d, I get better scores often as I drop more points with sa shots when I am pushing speed at the edge of my ability to control the gun.

The dao I can only run so fast and my ability to control the gun closely aligns with that speed at which I can run the trigger. Obviously it's going to vary from shooter to shooter. But I don't feel as if I'm losing much at the moment and my tendency to anticipate goes way down with a smooth da press vs something with a defined wall and shorter takeup on precision shots.

I was just wondering the other day, whatever happened to the DAK trigger, and why it didnt become more popular?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by backtrail540 View Post
    I just came across this dao Hi Power on gunbroker and it intrigued me.
    https://www.gunbroker.com/item/895814715
    In '93 when I got hired by the P.D., we carried our own handguns as opposed to being issued a common pistol. I went through the academy toting a S&W 5946, while my roommate had a Browning BDM...similar to the above HP, but it had a sloted switch on the sided that allowed either traditional SA/DA operation or DAO (the safety acted as both a safety and a decocker in TDA mode, safety only in DAO).

Over the years I bounced around between guns and tried several DAO guns...P226, 92D and 96D Centurions, and a 4046. The Sig had a horrible trigger, the Smiths were...well...Smiths, and the Berettas were smooth as glass. I've also carried Glocks and 1911's at some point for work (different agency), and have settled on striker guns (currently in love with the P10C). I've become nostalgic of recent and have thought about finding another 92D variant or 3rd Gen. Smith of some flavor...not for professional carry, but just because.

I recently picked up a police trade-in P220 Carry with the DAK trigger. I bought it specifically to carry in a Hill People Gear chest rig and it fits that role perfectly for me.
    Semper Paratus,

Steve

Hammertime
    Quote Originally Posted by backtrail540 View Post
    The dao I can only run so fast and my ability to control the gun closely aligns with that speed at which I can run the trigger.
    Very much this. I can run the trigger on a non DAO gun better than I can control recoil. This probably means I should learn better recoil control, of course. For me, recoil control is the most perishable of skills and burns a lot of ammo to learn and re learn. DAO just takes a lot of that pressure off.

I don't know much else about it other than I like DA triggers. The DA trigger on my 43C has improved considerably in multi thousand dry fires and 1500 down the pipe. You can't judge that S&W trigger out of the box at all.

I've got two at the moment. A snubby Model 10 with chopped hammer, and a 92D Centurion (which I bought for $300).

Right now, the 92D is wearing a set of Pachmyr G10 stocks, and has a Wilson trigger bar and the light 12# spring. It happily popped all the ammo I put through it, so viola. I was also able to have Trijicon relamp the sights, back when that was a thing.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

User Tag List