Thread: RFI: LPVO for SCAR 17S (600 yard use)

RFI: LPVO for SCAR 17S (600 yard use)

Hey all,

Working 7 days a week puts a bit of a crunch on research time. I'm looking to scope my SCAR 17S with a LPVO for use on steel (12" gongs) out to 600 yards but with the ability to "have fun" at closer ranges as well. Given the shake up with COVID, what are some of the better options for today? I'm figuring a 1-6 is what I'm looking for, just don't know which. Durability (it'll be riding on a quad or the back of my Jeep) is high on the desirability list. Thanks!
    "Detached reflection cannot be demanded in the presence of an uplifted knife." - Justice Oliver Wendell Holmes, Brown v. United States, 256 U.S. 335 (1921)

What is your budget?

I would think it remains the classics for now:
    • Vortex Razor HD Gen II-E 1-6×24
    • Vortex Razor HD Gen III 1-10×24
    • Kahles K16i 1-6×24
    • Kahles K18i 1-8×24
    • Nightforce ATACR 1-8×24
    • Nightforce NX8 1-8×24
    • S&B PM II ShortDot Dual CC 1-8×24

Pick based off of your budget and preference between SFP and FFP. The Leupold MK6 and MK8 might also be worth a look, though they're getting long in tooth, while the Swarovski Z6i and Z8i are more hunting oriented and thus may not be as rugged and have less useful reticles. March definitely has some interesting stuff, too, but I'm slightly leery due to a less users, though they are generally seen as being quality products; same with the Minox ZP8. The Sig LPVOs I would also be leery of, just due to lack of history, and, well, Sig being Sig.

FWIW, I have taken my SR-25 CC out to 1127 yards using the ATACR, consistently hitting an 18"×24" piece of steel (I think it was that big, anyway), with some M118LR clone loads, so you can definitely stretch it out further than 600 yards with just 8× magnification if you got decent weather and/or know your wind.
    Last edited by Default.mp3; 03-28-2021 at 10:51 PM.

If durability is primo and you are looking to reach out:

Mk6 1-6 with the 7.62 CMR-W reticle
    Mk 8 1-8 with H27D
    ATACR 1-8
    Razor 1-10

I have a 2.5-10 Nightforce on mine. No zero magnification for a close stuff but I managed OK with it in EAG carbine class. I think 7.62 can benefit from a bit more power on upper end of it.
    Doesn't read posts longer than two paragraphs.

Quote Originally Posted by Default.mp3 View Post
    I would think it remains the classics for now:
    • Vortex Razor HD Gen II-E 1-6×24
    • Vortex Razor HD Gen III 1-10×24
    • Kahles K16i 1-6×24
    • Kahles K18i 1-8×24
    • Nightforce ATACR 1-8×24
    • Nightforce NX8 1-8×24
    • S&B PM II ShortDot Dual CC 1-8×24
    Default's list is a pretty good place to start.

While the glass on the two Kahles scopes are amazing, I think I'd have durability concerns with them on a Scar 17, especially considering they aren't really known for their warranty.

I'd also exclude the NX8. It is a good option if size/weight are major factors, but it will be outclassed by just about everything else on this list.

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    agreed that default.mp3's list is a solid one. For a .30 cal rifle I would lean towards 1-8/1-10 FFP. If it's in your budget I feel this would be the perfect application for the Vortex Razor 1-10

Thanks for the solid options. I'll be diving into them soon. I'm sure I'll have some follow-ups lol
    "Detached reflection cannot be demanded in the presence of an uplifted knife." - Justice Oliver Wendell Holmes, Brown v. United States, 256 U.S. 335 (1921)

Weren't SCAR 17's breaking optics early on? One of my buddies has a short dot on his for quite a few years now, with no issues

Quote Originally Posted by theJanitor View Post
    Weren't SCAR 17's breaking optics early on? One of my buddies has a short dot on his for quite a few years now, with no issues
    Both the SCAR 16 and 17 were having issues killing optics and MFALs, due to the impulses when the returning the battery (I have been told the 16 is actually worse due to the higher BCG velocity). There was definitely a CAR-hardening program that Crane had done with the issued electro-optics. With an LPVO, issues can be mitigated by not using a cantilever mount, I believe, which is a non-issue since it has a monolithic upper rail.

User Tag List