Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: RFI: Walther P38 AC41

Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post
    I will relate a personal anecdote. I was in high school in the 70s, and was completely fascinated with European WWII history, in particular, since I grew up in Germany (Army brat). I saved up from my part time job at Hechinger's home center and convinced my parents to let me buy a replica MP-40 (with working bolt!) as well as a P38. Although both were non-functioning, they were very close to the correct size and weight. The MP40 was not dissimilar to this:

https://www.worldwarsupply.com/produ...0-gun-replica/

As I recall, I bought it at an arms dealer in Alexandria Virginia. It may or may not have been Interarms, which at the time was pretty busy with real firearms sales.

Indicating how much times have changed, I brought the fake MP40 with me to college when I went to UVa the fall of '77. Fun times.
    Probably one of Tom Nelson's businesses, probably Unique Imports. He had a lot of the non-guns. I never saw any of those at Interarms.

Quote Originally Posted by NuJudge View Post
    Probably one of Tom Nelson's businesses, probably Unique Imports. He had a lot of the non-guns. I never saw any of those at Interarms.
    Was that at 800 Slater’s Lane? Not sure how familiar you are with Alexandria, but I grew up in NoVa, and that address pops up on a Google search. That might be where I bought it.

From the ad I found below, the (fake) MP40 was $1xx, which was a lot of money for a high school kid.

Name:  6C618E2A-C6CB-4D4B-A479-7B485F63E56B.jpg
Views: 249
Size:  51.8 KB

Langley High School, class of 1974

The problem is I've been away from there for 45 years. That address sounds familiar, but it has been too long.

I put a total of 10 rounds through the Walther yesterday.

Name:  IMG_8702.jpg
Views: 173
Size:  37.6 KB

I used Blazer Brass 124, the closest I had to the German Wermacht Ammunition, based on sources I've been able to locate (*). I shot the 10 rounds in two groups of five.

In the first group, I loaded and shot 1 round, just to make sure nothing weird happened. Then I loaded 2 rounds, twice. On the second round of both 2 round mags, the slide failed to lock back on an empty mag. On the second group, I loaded 5 rounds. The first three rounds fed fine, then the last two rounds malfunctioned with a failure to feed stoppage. The bullet stopped in the feedway. I cleared the stoppage and cycled the action, then chambered and shot normally.

All shots were taken SA. I used a top of sight hold and put the blade in the notch. The first target grouped about 4" at 7 yards. This second group was better, except for the last round which I yanked right, the one at 3 o'clock. (remember I am a lefty).

Name:  IMG_8709.jpg
Views: 176
Size:  25.8 KB
    Name:  IMG_8710.jpg
Views: 186
Size:  32.7 KB

Pondering the malfunctions (2xFTLB and 2xFTF), perhaps they might be due to the magazine spring? Maybe the spring is not pushing up on the follower with enough enthusiasm. As this is not a "shooter" grade firearm, I wouldn't do anything about it, unless the owner wanted to re-spring the magazine.

It certainly shoots well, as well as I can shoot a modern firearm, for sure. I could move my hold to the bottom of X and probably print groups in 1" squares at 7 yards SA, very good for me. Recoil was mild, as you might expect with a steel framed duty pistol using mild 9mm ammo. All of the functions checked good; safety, decocker, etc. It all works.

I'll be returning the gun to its owner. It was nice to put an old warhorse through it's paces; not bad for a gun that's 80 years old.

(*) Comparison of German Army small arms ammunition muzzle velocity and bullet weight with Blazer Brass 124, below. German Army 8g bullet at 1,083 fps compares well with the Blazer 1,090 fps, and the bullet weight of 8 grams or 123 grains equates to 124 gr ammunition. I'll defer to @P30 since my German is a little rusty, but I put what I believe are the correct translation of the terms below:

German Army Ammunition:
    “Anfangsgeschwindigkeit” (muzzle velocity?) 330 m/s (converts to 1,083 fps)
    “Geschossgewicht” (bullet weight?) 8g (converts to 123 grains)
    Source:
    http://gigconceptsinc.com/German-9mmP-Perf.html

Name:  Capture.jpg
Views: 179
Size:  30.2 KB
    Name:  Capture.PNG
Views: 173
Size:  65.6 KB

Blazer Brass Ammunition:
    Blazer 124, MPN 5201, UPC 76683052018
    Bullet Type: Full Metal Jacket
    Muzzle Velocity 1090 fps
    Muzzle Energy 327 ft lbs
    Source:
    https://www.targetsportsusa.com/cci-...01-p-4172.aspx
    Last edited by RJ; 04-20-2021 at 05:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post
    I'll defer to @P30 since my German is a little rusty, but I put what I believe are the correct translation of the terms below:

German Army Ammunition:
    “Anfangsgeschwindigkeit” (muzzle velocity?) 330 m/s (converts to 1,083 fps)
    “Geschossgewicht” (bullet weight?) 8g (converts to 123 grains)
    Yes, I agree, I would translate it like you.
    Last edited by P30; 04-20-2021 at 10:04 AM.

User Tag List