Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Smith and Wesson Sleeved Barrel Design swap

New Smith and Wesson Sleeved Barrel Design swap

Is it possible to have the barrel changed on the new Smith and Wesson guns? (For a reasonable cost anyway)

I have a 66-8 with 4.25" bbl that has an incredible action on but that 4.25" barrel isn't the best for CCW. Looks like I could carry it at 4/5:00 but in testing AIWB via "Mexican carry", will likely mash certain important bits when I sit down.

I know the old style barrel could be swapped but I wasn't sure about the new design.

I figure it is likely cheaper/easier to just buy a 66-8 2.75" gun. I actually had one of those first but the trigger was significantly worse and I eventually got rid of it. I just happened onto this on at a local store and bought it on the spot after trying the trigger.

Doing that again around here is likely not to happen. Revolvers are rare in normal times and and the pickings around are pretty slim nowadays.

Just something I was mulling around and thought I would ask.

I'm sure it could be changed. You might call Smith & Wesson and ask them. They've become very hesitant about selling parts to the public, so that may be your only option.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

It wasn't a sleeved barrel, but I sent a 629 to S&W before to have a 6 inch barrel replaced with a 4 inch barrel. The service was prompt, pretty economical, and they did a great job on it. I'd give S&W a call.
    Ordinary guy

Site Supporter
    I don't remember if it was here or on some other gun forum but a correspondent posted that he had ask S&W about this with a later production, sleeved barrel model he owned. According to him they rather bluntly said, NO. Still it might be worth a phone call to ask.

Dave

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    What I have read is that the barrels have "crush fit" threads, i.e., the threads are an interference fit in the frame. So it's reasonably likely that attempting to remove it will scrap the frame. Also, the only wrenching option is a special tool that engages the rifling of the bore.

I still occasionally get dumb ideas like making a wrench to turn the barrel out and modifying the shroud to take a Dan Wesson barrel nut, then cutting a new barrel with threads at both ends from a match-grade blank. But I don't have the tools to do that, and I'm considerably less interested in paying someone else to do it.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Site Supporter
    @Crow Hunter - What kind of holster are you using? A 4" barrelled revolver in an IWB or AIWB holster is easily and comfortably concealed. I've done it since the late 90s. It'd be way cheaper than re-barrelling or replacing your current gun, too.

Quote Originally Posted by revchuck38 View Post
    @Crow Hunter - What kind of holster are you using? A 4" barrelled revolver in an IWB or AIWB holster is easily and comfortably concealed. I've done it since the late 90s. It'd be way cheaper than re-barrelling or replacing your current gun, too.
    I haven't tried a holster yet. Just mexican carry around the to get an idea if an appendix would work or not. If the cylinder is above my belt it is ok. But below the belt, ouch.

If I did a 4/5 o'clock iwb I believe it would be fine with a decent cant.

I am definitely open to suggestions as i like the gun.

Quote Originally Posted by Crow Hunter View Post
    I have a 66-8 with 4.25" bbl
    I just quoted this to gripe about the 4.25 barrels to appease the Canukians offends my old leather for 4" barrels.
    I had an ER nurse in a class. I noticed she kept taking all head shots. Her response when asked why, "'I've seen too many people who have been shot in the chest putting up a fight in the ER." Point taken.

Quote Originally Posted by Crow Hunter View Post
    I haven't tried a holster yet. Just mexican carry around the to get an idea if an appendix would work or not. If the cylinder is above my belt it is ok. But below the belt, ouch.

If I did a 4/5 o'clock iwb I believe it would be fine with a decent cant.

I am definitely open to suggestions as i like the gun.
    I'd suggest that trying a JM Custom Kydex holster would be significantly cheaper than a new gun, or a barrel swap even if the swap were possible.

If it didn't work out for you, the JMCK holster could likely be sold for a substantial fraction of what you paid for it on this very forum. I think my last JMCK holster cost me $70 or so, so if you only recouped 50 cents on the dollar, it would be a $35 experiment.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Quote Originally Posted by jlw View Post
    I just quoted this to gripe about the 4.25 barrels to appease the Canukians offends my old leather for 4" barrels.
    Name:  blame Canada.jpg
Views: 507
Size:  75.5 KB
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

User Tag List