Thread: J Frame Springs

Site Supporter

J Frame Springs

I got the M49 I won on GB last Friday and took it out to the range with some of my dwindling stash of WC handloads. The gun is accurate and shoots to the sights with that ammo. The action is super nice - too nice, I'm afraid; it's far nicer than my 642. It was 100% with the 60 rounds I shot, but they had Federal 100 primers. I haven't had a chance to try other ammo, and I'm low on .38 Special factory ammo anyway.

The sideplate screws show that they've been messed with, though they're not too bad, so it's probable that the springs have been replaced. Is there a reason to not replace the current springs with factory S&W ones? I have to call S&W tomorrow anyway to order some thumb latches.

Site Supporter
    I dunno man...I’m no SME, but I’ve bought a few used wheel guns...if the action feels too good, I’d probably replace the hammer spring just to ensure reliability. Previous owner could’ve snipped a coil on that mainspring.
    Maybe just buy a duty/carry spring set from Apex and call it good? Cheap insurance.

Site Supporter
    @jrbway - It's too old for Apex stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by revchuck38 View Post
    I think the hammer and rebound spring will still fit, or a Wolff kit without the firing pin.

My really nice 60PD (bought used) gave me a couple of light hits last range trip, so I swapped a factory hammer spring into it. Trigger pull went from 9 to 12 pounds. Still smooth and manageable but quite a change. I might try a Wolff or Apex to see if it splits the difference.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by revchuck38 View Post
    Both of my steel guns (M36 & M60) were made in the early 80s...I’ve had no issues with the hammer spring and rebound spring from Apex,Wolff,Wilson. OMMV

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by jrbway View Post
    Both of my steel guns (M36 & M60) were made in the early 80s...I’ve had no issues with the hammer spring and rebound spring from Apex,Wolff,Wilson. OMMV
    Right, I was thinking of their hammer/firing pin set.

I would put an OEM hammer spring in it.

Once ammo is more available the Apex spring might be worth experimenting with. Under the shroud the 49 should still have the firing pin on the hammer so you've got a little more leeway re: hammer spring than the modern FMFP guns. But with limited ammo for testing, factory spring all day every day.

Site Supporter
    I went to the range today, and it was a good news/bad news thing with the M49.

The good news is that the gun is stupid accurate. I set up the B8C at five yards and had no problem keeping the rounds in the x-ring as long as the front sight was there. It also shoots to POA with my 158-grain RNL handloads. I tried five rounds each of Winchester Ranger 130-grain bonded JHPs and R-P 125-grain GS; it shot to POA with the Winchester and a hair low with the GS, so it can share the remaining box of Winchester with my 642 with the GS as a backup until factory wadcutter ammo becomes available again.

The bad news is what I feared when I felt how nice the trigger was - I got a couple of clicks when I should've had bangs, once with my handload and once with the GS. I've already ordered the factory mainspring from S&W so that'll go in as soon as I get it.

I ordered a Hogue grip for it and Hogue has changed the method of attachment for the J frame grips from the snap-on piece at the bottom to the same stirrup they use on the larger revolver grips. It still looks the same but now can't be modified to shorten the grip. Humbug. I'm going to try the Taurus grip when the mainspring gets here. I need the longer trigger reach. I'm tempted to give the VZ grips a try, the bluing on this gun probably deserves something nicer than rubber.

I was leery about the VZ grips for a few years but I pulled a "fuckitall" one night and bought two sets. Best grips ever. Mind you, they are for K-frame RBs, but damn these grips are goodly. I am going to order a set for my 640-1, maybe a set for my M49. They offer J-frame grips that cover the backstrap and versions that dont. I have bitch mitts, so I will probably go with their 320 boot grip option.

User Tag List