Thread: Uses for SureFire 65 Lumen P60 Bulbs?

Site Supporter

Uses for SureFire 65 Lumen P60 Bulbs?

So I have two extras from the prior century. I recently acquired 2 more when I came across a couple of NOS 6Ps which I promptly upgraded to Malkoff M61s.

I am on a bit of a spring cleaning/Marie Kondo kick.

What are these things good for at this point?

"Enlighten Me" ( Pun intended.)
    I am not your attorney. I am not giving legal advice. Any and all opinions expressed are personal and my own and are not those of any employer-past, present or future.

Site Supporter
    Keep em stashed around the house/in the glove box.

Go for a walk at night in the woods. Bring one and an LED version. Be amazed at how much you see with high CRI incandescent vs cool white LED.

If battery life wasn’t so bad I’d still be using them for night hiking. Nichia high CRI is close to my eyes.

Quote Originally Posted by Norville View Post
    Go for a walk at night in the woods. Bring one and an LED version. Be amazed at how much you see with high CRI incandescent vs cool white LED.

If battery life wasn’t so bad I’d still be using them for night hiking. Nichia high CRI is close to my eyes.
    I generally opt for the neutral versions with my Malkoff lights, but there are times when the cool white is a plus...especially at distance.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Read: Harrison Bergeron

The old incan emitters are warm low powered and very inefficient.

As noted high CRI and warmer (4000k) and below tints make a huge difference outdoors with brown and green colors. Generally one gets much less blowback from powder smoke also. (Also much nicer to look at).

Cooler tints are a bit more efficient and are ok on man made/indoor colors.

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    I generally opt for the neutral versions with my Malkoff lights, but there are times when the cool white is a plus...especially at distance.
    Except for sorting blue vs black socks without waking the wife I have never seen an advantage to the 6500K cool whites.

Neutral or warmer I agree, when pure output overcomes the poor CRI.

The old E2 Outdoorsman with its 25 lumen bulb was one of the best night hiking lights ever. Certainly not a long range spotter or S&R light, but for ambling down not a trail it’s hard to beat.

User Tag List