Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What the heck are "De-milled" shotgun primers?

Quote Originally Posted by Flamingo View Post
    My son asked me if .223 was legal to hunt with in WA and I pulled up the new regs and saw:

That may make it easier for you.
    Gotcha. The only breech plug for my muzzleloader is for 209 primers.

I think the .223 for deer issue is up for review this year. People are pretty passionate about it, but I killed with .223 in Oregon and it did just fine.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Lester Polfus View Post
    People are pretty passionate about it, but I killed with .223 in Oregon and it did just fine.
    I think the issue is slob shots and folks who want to use FMJ in their AR because that's what they used in 'Nam. I have no doubt 223 in the hands of a decent shot using proper hunting ammo will do the job, but there are lots of folks who can't manage that with a 30-06 and factory hunting ammo.

I helped a guy track a buck he neck-shot with a muzzleloader through a few miles of VA Blue Ridge Mountains when we came across the deer he gut shot two days prior and failed to recover. It was at that point, what with it raining and the blood trail getting sparse (couple drops every 10' or so) I decided I'd had enough and walked back to camp (he wasn't with us, but wandered into our camp looking for help on Deer #2). I hate to see what kind of mess he could create with a 223.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkr View Post
    I think the issue is slob shots and folks who want to use FMJ in their AR because that's what they used in 'Nam. I have no doubt 223 in the hands of a decent shot using proper hunting ammo will do the job, but there are lots of folks who can't manage that with a 30-06 and factory hunting ammo.

I helped a guy track a buck he neck-shot with a muzzleloader through a few miles of VA Blue Ridge Mountains when we came across the deer he gut shot two days prior and failed to recover. It was at that point, what with it raining and the blood trail getting sparse (couple drops every 10' or so) I decided I'd had enough and walked back to camp (he wasn't with us, but wandered into our camp looking for help on Deer #2). I hate to see what kind of mess he could create with a 223.

Chris
    Yeah.

I came across a gutshot, unsalvageable elk, that had been been poorly hit with an arrow that was too light to have killed it cleanly had it been a perfectly placed shot. Some people refuse to be adults, and I don't know what the solution to that is.

I think making .223 legal won't change much. People who can shoot (and restrain themselves) will still drop animals, and people who "take a poke" with only desultory effort at follow up will still be fuckups.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

How did you get them out? Did you use a regular decapping pin in a resizing die?
    Indeed so. Googling 'how to decap live primers' will find lotsa videos and forum threads.

I wouldn't go merrily punching them out and let a big pile build up in whatever is catching them. YMMV if sealed. A gentle touch recommended. Some people put towels over the press, apparently. Good hearing and eye protection seems wise.

I've only done a few (and can't remember why I did those :-( ).

On an industrial scale, you could probably build a machine where the occasional one going off wouldn't matter.

(it would suck to find out they actually were de-milled, by soaking in acetone or whatever. I wouldn't expect that, because who would buy them.
    I'd guess they are using 'de-milled' to mean 'pulled', but you never know)

Things must be pretty bad if the trap shooters bought all of the 209 primers. I guess they're like all reloaders when it comes to panic buying.

I sold all of my shot shell reloading gear and components a few years ago. Probably should have just stored it away but I hadn't used it in 10 years. I still have a few hundred rds of ammo laying around for my 870 Wingmaster.

I punch out live primers when I seat them inverted. Never had a problem, just go real slow.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Quote Originally Posted by Borderland View Post
    Things must be pretty bad if the trap shooters bought all of the 209 primers. I guess they're like all reloaders when it comes to panic buying.
    They are probably way higher volume. 10-15k a year is NBD for those guys.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Hambo View Post
    If you can get a breechplug that allows the use of SR primers, you may not alleviate primer anxiety, but at least it would be different.

Example: https://www.prbullet.com/prohntr.htm
    A friend of mine machined one of these years ago, for all of the reasons listed at that link.

Also, for all of the reasons they listed in the link, there is such a thing as inline muzzle loader specific primers, and they may be one thing that may have avided the panic? Here is just one example I found:
    https://www.extremerangeoutfitters.c...loader-primers

Quote Originally Posted by mmc45414 View Post
    A friend of mine machined one of these years ago, for all of the reasons listed at that link.

Also, for all of the reasons they listed in the link, there is such a thing as inline muzzle loader specific primers, and they may be one thing that may have avided the panic? Here is just one example I found:
    https://www.extremerangeoutfitters.c...loader-primers
    Well...

I actually have some of those. They work OK-ish for Triple 7 powder, but they don't have enough ass to light Blackhorn 209 powder. I have a strong preference for Blackhorn 209.

I use the muzzleloader specific primers around for drying off the breech plug and such, and use the good primers solely for actual shooting.

Thanks, though.

Have I mentioned I really dislike muzzleloading? If our modern elk season wasn't such a shit show, I wouldn't even own a muzzleloader. The timing of archery elk doesn't always work out for our family travel schedule.

They work OK-ish for Triple 7 powder, but they don't have enough ass to light Blackhorn 209 powder. I have a strong preference for Blackhorn 209.
    Interesting, I have used that combo and never had any issues, but I never did it enough to not know if I was ignorant.

Have I mentioned I really dislike muzzleloading? If our modern elk season wasn't such a shit show, I wouldn't even own a muzzleloader.
    Yeah, I recently gave my two of them away, along with all of the stuff that went with them. They used to be an accurate alternative to shotgun slugs, then rifled shotgun barrels were OKed, then straight wall rifles were OKed, and the only ML specific season is 2-3 days at the end of December when it is, seasonally, colder than shit. As we have lost more and more access to where I used to go I haven't even been going for gun season for a few years. I tried to sell all the stuff to a young guy at work for $150, and when he said he couldn't swing it right then I just told him to keep it and go kill some deer and give me some jerky.

Quote Originally Posted by mmc45414 View Post
    Interesting, I have used that combo and never had any issues, but I never did it enough to not know if I was ignorant.

Yeah, I recently gave my two of them away, along with all of the stuff that went with them. They used to be an accurate alternative to shotgun slugs, then rifled shotgun barrels were OKed, then straight wall rifles were OKed, and the only ML specific season is 2-3 days at the end of December when it is, seasonally, colder than shit. As we have lost more and more access to where I used to go I haven't even been going for gun season for a few years. I tried to sell all the stuff to a young guy at work for $150, and when he said he couldn't swing it right then I just told him to keep it and go kill some deer and give me some jerky.
    That was kind of you to give the guy a MZL.

I should have been more specific about "not having enough ass." Western Powder recommends against them. I thought I would use the MZL specific primers with Blackhorn in practice, and save the good one's for hunting. I found that the gun was less consistent as far as groups with the T7 primers, and the one and only hang fire I've had with Blackhorn was with one of the T7-specific primers. Since this all happened on an August afternoon in the high-70s, I decided not to push my luck hunting with that combo on a cold October morning.

User Tag List