Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What the heck are "De-milled" shotgun primers?

What the heck are "De-milled" shotgun primers?

This shortage ain't my first rodeo, so I'm pretty will set, component wise. The only exception is 209 primers for my muzzleloader. After years of hunting with a musket cap fired plunger gun I absolutely hated, I took advantage of Washington's recent law change, and bought a 209 gun.

The problem is, I have less than 100 209 primers. That will get me through this fall ok, but I have primer anxiety.

Lohman Arms has "demilled" Federal 209A primers. The price works out to about 3x before time prices, but it's only a $150 shipped to stop worrying about it have a lifetime supply of muzzleloader primers.

What are "de-milled primers?" Have they been loaded into cartridges and removed? Or have they just been repackaged?

Yeah. I can email Lohman arms, but I often get non-answers to questions like this when I email companies.

Any clues?
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

Quote Originally Posted by Lester Polfus View Post
    This shortage ain't my first rodeo, so I'm pretty will set, component wise. The only exception is 209 primers for my muzzleloader. After years of hunting with a musket cap fired plunger gun I absolutely hated, I took advantage of Washington's recent law change, and bought a 209 gun.

The problem is, I have less than 100 209 primers. That will get me through this fall ok, but I have primer anxiety.

Lohman Arms has "demilled" Federal 209A primers. The price works out to about 3x before time prices, but it's only a $150 shipped to stop worrying about it have a lifetime supply of muzzleloader primers.

What are "de-milled primers?" Have they been loaded into cartridges and removed? Or have they just been repackaged?

Yeah. I can email Lohman arms, but I often get non-answers to questions like this when I email companies.

Any clues?
    I have a bunch of shotgun primers I will give you for free if you make it up to the Tacoma area.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    A quick Google for "de-milled primers" brings up a lot of discussion of disassembled ammo. Which is what I was thinking.

I would guess that these primers were once loaded in shot shells and have been pressed out. (Maybe) fine for practice, but I wouldn't carry them into the field after game, or anything else that counted for score.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

If you can get a breechplug that allows the use of SR primers, you may not alleviate primer anxiety, but at least it would be different.

Example: https://www.prbullet.com/prohntr.htm
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    A quick Google for "de-milled primers" brings up a lot of discussion of disassembled ammo. Which is what I was thinking.

I would guess that these primers were once loaded in shot shells and have been pressed out. (Maybe) fine for practice, but I wouldn't carry them into the field after game, or anything else that counted for score.
    I actually did Google before I posted here, but I'm not sure I trust the answers I'm getting. I'm not sure I understand how you could press primers out of a shotgun hull, and expect ANY of them to fire.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

Quote Originally Posted by Flamingo View Post
    I have a bunch of shotgun primers I will give you for free if you make it up to the Tacoma area.
    That's kind of you! I'm not sure when we'll make it up there, as most of our weekends in the future are spoken for, but I will certainly keep that in mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Hambo View Post
    If you can get a breechplug that allows the use of SR primers, you may not alleviate primer anxiety, but at least it would be different.

Example: https://www.prbullet.com/prohntr.htm
    That is pretty cool. I don't think we can use it in Washington though.

My son asked me if .223 was legal to hunt with in WA and I pulled up the new regs and saw:

. In addition to the above requirements, it is unlawful to participate (hunt) in a muzzleloading
    hunting season using a firearm that does not
    meet the following specifications for a muzzleloader. As in the past sabots are allowed. Any
    type of projectile is allowed.
    a. Ignition is to be wheel lock, matchlock,
    flintlock, or percussion. Primers designed
    to be used in modern cartridges are legal.

b. Those persons lawfully hunting big game
    with a double barrel muzzleloader may
    only keep one barrel loaded.
    c. Sights must be open, peep, or of other open
    sight design. Fiber optic sights are legal.
    Telescopic sights or sights containing glass
    are prohibited.
    d. It is unlawful to have any electrical device
    or equipment attached to a muzzleloading
    firearm while hunting.
    That may make it easier for you.

Removing live primers from any cartridge/shell is no big deal. I have done it many times and reused the primers. If the primers fired in the original cases they would fire in the "new" cases. I have had none fail to fire in the new reload and I've had none pop when removing them. FWIW; I ran out of 209 primers once and "reloaded" the battery cups with large pistol primers (CCI) and all fires successfully...

Quote Originally Posted by mikld View Post
    Removing live primers from any cartridge/shell is no big deal. I have done it many times and reused the primers. If the primers fired in the original cases they would fire in the "new" cases. I have had none fail to fire in the new reload and I've had none pop when removing them. FWIW; I ran out of 209 primers once and "reloaded" the battery cups with large pistol primers (CCI) and all fires successfully...
    How did you get them out? Did you use a regular decapping pin in a resizing die?

User Tag List