Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Ultimate long term durability revolver

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    Super Redhawk. Seriously. Aesthetics aside, it's superior to the Redhawk in any other metric that matters.
    Most significantly the lockwork is basically "beefy GP100"

Quote Originally Posted by JAD View Post
    This forum was to a degree built around the study of crazy handgun durability versus round count, but I hesitantly point out that even with your own reloads you’re going to spend about $5-10k on ammo in the process of wearing out a $700 revolver.

So whether it takes one or two revolvers to do that might not actually be a big deal.
    There is always that.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

I wonder where the new Python fits in that durability discussion. Colt says they beefed it up but if I remember correctly the Python's main problem was the lock work (I think that's the right word as I'm not terribly knowledgeable about revolvers) going out of time not the strength of the frame.
    " La rose est sans pourquoi, elle fleurit parce qu’elle fleurit ; Elle n’a souci d’elle-même, ne demande pas si on la voit. » Angelus Silesius
    "There are problems in this universe for which there are no answers." Paul Muad'dib

Site Supporter
    @Rex G

Did you carry your GP100 in a Safariland 070?

Quote Originally Posted by jetfire View Post
    Anecdotally: they killed a lot of people with that gun and it was genuinely well liked by agents.
    What was their issued ammo?

Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post
    What was their issued ammo?
    I am not 100% committed to the accuracy of this, but based on conversations that were mostly had over drinks, I believe it was the 357 Magnum 125 grain SJHP. I do know that BP has always favored light rounds moving fast, which is why when they went to 40 S&W they used a 155 grain round going like Mach 9

I am not 100% committed to the accuracy of this, but based on conversations that were mostly had over drinks, I believe it was the 357 Magnum 125 grain SJHP. I do know that BP has always favored light rounds moving fast, which is why when they went to 40 S&W they used a 155 grain round going like Mach 9
    IIRC, after moving on from the various .38 rounds, including the 110 +P+, I believe that the BP standardized on 110 .357 for legacy revolvers (and 115 +P+ 9mm for autos) in the mid 80s, until moving on to the .40 155gr across the board.

But what do I know, I wasn’t there, either.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

This has literally nothing to do with why the GP100 was a 44 Special and not a mag but okay

(and then Jefire said some other stuff)
    I mean, in 16,000+ rounds I have never shot a GP100 out of time, and in fact I just recently had my very first one break in a meaningful way. In ~12,000 rounds, I have broken three different S&W revolvers, all during what I would consider "normal levels of shooting and training," for me of course.

(and then Jetfire said some more stuff, and posted a cool picture)

Is the rationale behind not offering the GP100 in .44 Mag the forcing cone?

Could you share what broke on your GP100, and if you don't mind, the Smiths?
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

Currently by the ocean in CA and on the move to a more free state. Three more years!
    For long term durability in a revolver the first thing I am going to look at is the main spring and how this spring imparts energy to the hammer. The Ruger's coil spring and hammer strut are more robust and simpler than the Smith's design.

Next I would look at the frame. I think a one piece frame will be stronger in the long run.

I own Smith's and they are great revolvers but for long term durability the Ruger is what I would choose.

The "hollow" hammer of the Smith is not too inspiring either.

Here is a couple of pix for perspective.

Name:  Screenshot_2021-03-26-23-31-28_kindlephoto-198137185.jpg
Views: 461
Size:  33.3 KBName:  Screenshot_2021-03-26-23-31-20_kindlephoto-198236321.jpg
Views: 652
Size:  54.0 KB

If I was ever off the leash, I’d get one of these in a heartbeat.

Name:  847376BC-9399-4AD7-BC6A-B6B39DF72A34.jpg
Views: 436
Size:  31.3 KB

This thread is not helping.

User Tag List