Page 13 of 17 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Ultimate long term durability revolver

Quote Originally Posted by TheNewbie View Post
    @Rex G makes me want to carry a GP100

@blues makes me want to carry a 2.5 inch Model 15

Adam 12 makes me want to carry a 4 inch model 15 or maybe even a 6 inch model 14.
    The late, great Jim Cirillo carried three revolvers. Go ye therefore, and do likewise.
    Retar’d LE. Kinesthetic dufus.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

Quote Originally Posted by jetfire View Post
    There are threads on the Enos revolver forum that describe this exact problem happening to multiple people.
    link here: https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....cro-host/page4

Quote Originally Posted by Crow Hunter View Post
    Purely for scientific inquiry, what makes it go out out time quicker? Inertia of the cylinder or something else?
    Several years ago, when people were shooting a lot of 625s in USPSA, they started having problems with Skip Chambers. The cylinder stop notches in the cylinder would peen. They were replacing the steel cylinders with titanium cylinders to fix the problem. There was a lot of talk on Brian Enos. It was 10 or 15 years ago.

@Rex G makes me want to carry a GP100

@blues makes me want to carry a 2.5 inch Model 15

Adam 12 makes me want to carry a 4 inch model 15 or maybe even a 6 inch model 14.
    @TheNewbie

That's a 2" Model 15. The Model 19 was 2.5".
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Quote Originally Posted by Rex G View Post
    The late, great Jim Cirillo carried three revolvers. Go ye therefore, and do likewise.
    Im not a huge fan of shoulder holsters but it sure is convenient. My 3" m10 has been has been a nice secondary gun

Quote Originally Posted by Crow Hunter View Post
    Thank you. What would your advice be? Just keep using my glocks until I can't or maybe something else? Like don't worry be happy?
    You could always buy the Vickers tactical charging handle for your Glocks, It replaces the backplate with one that has protrusions that make the gun easier to grasp and cock:

https://www.rockyourglock.com/custom/GSR-03.htm

If one wanted a GP100 2.5 or 3 inch for CCW what would you have done to it for maximum reliability and a decent trigger?

One thing I would do convert it to DAO but what else needs to be done?
    It's interesting, because I've not found the GP100 trigger to be bad at all. My gun had a 9# DA stroke after the first couple of thousand presses. The mainspring weight can be dropped easily if you want. @jetfire has more experience doing that than I do.

Now the SA triggers on GP100s are kind of "meh". Mine is creepy and has kind of a mushy break, but who cares?

Quote Originally Posted by jh9 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by BN View Post
    Several years ago, when people were shooting a lot of 625s in USPSA, they started having problems with Skip Chambers. The cylinder stop notches in the cylinder would peen. They were replacing the (stainless) steel cylinders with titanium cylinders to fix the problem. There was a lot of talk on Brian Enos. It was 10 or 15 years ago.
    I was just reading some of that discussion and saw something which didnt exactly surprise me, though I dont know the person that wrote it and what their qualifications are for stating it, however:

Posted by Waltermitty
    ...There are two reasons I wouldn’t plate the SS piece. First, the main problem is the underlying strength of the SS substrate. Stainless steel (which by some definitions isn’t actually “Steel”) is a compromise. Market forces pushed the manufacturers to produce SS guns because the vast majority of us can’t (or don’t want to) properly care for steel guns. The first choice for high stress gun parts is a good carbon steel primarily due to its fundamental strength. So any rational chrome plating thickness (.0003” to .0005”) on your SS cylinder would not impart the functional toughness you desire.

...My motivation to consider the Chrome on carbon steel route was to get the strength of carbon steel with the rust and abrasion resistance imparted by a thin, although variable, layer of chrome. This is how I did my Limited guns in the past. I would buy a blue steel gun, get it tweaked and broken in good, and then send it off for hard chrome....

Ive seen comments in the past about Smith stainless steel being somewhat soft. I was reminded of it when a gunsmith thats reamed possibly a couple thousand forcing cones commented how soft a stainless Smith K frame barrel was that he was reaming.

Carbon steel, old school blued. Whats not to like?
    Last edited by Malamute; 03-27-2021 at 08:43 PM.
    “Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.”
    ― Theodore Roosevelt

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rex G View Post
    I believe that the Super GP100...
    I forgot that was a thing, but yeah that would basically be a Super Redhawk .357.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Quote Originally Posted by Malamute View Post
    I was just reading some of that discussion and saw something which didnt exactly surprise me, though I dont know the person that wrote it and what their qualifications are for stating it, however:
    IIRC WalterMitty was pretty heavy into getting the most out of the 625s. I think I remember him doing cylinder swaps etc.

User Tag List