Page 9 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Ultimate long term durability revolver

Quote Originally Posted by xray 99 View Post
    The 1708 is my dream GP - 3” barrel and adjustable sights. The examples I’ve seen had plain, black ramp front sights.
    #WANT

Seriously, why the hell doesn’t Ruger build the revolvers people want?!
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    #WANT

Seriously, why the hell doesn’t Ruger build the revolvers people want?!
    As I try to do with each Ruger thread, I will now post my desire for a medium frame LCR.

As I envision this, it would be built with enough thickness in the top strap to accept a Novak rear sight. Front would be dovetailed so shooters could swap in fiber optic, gold bead, Tritium, etc.

The gun would be big enough to work with six rounds of 357 or 5 rounds of 44 SPL and maybe 41 Mag. It would be more Security Six in size as opposed to GP100.

Ideally the new bigger LCR would lead to a new line of revolvers. 2 and 3 inch barrels in a few different sight and caliber options as well as maybe a few 4 inch models.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Lester Polfus View Post
    Is the rationale behind not offering the GP100 in .44 Mag the forcing cone?

Could you share what broke on your GP100, and if you don't mind, the Smiths?
    Short answer: yes, mostly. I have a longer technical answer but I’m on the road and don’t have access to all my notes right now.

Ruger: had a mystery issue with the trigger return spring/gun not resetting during DA. Cylinder and Slide said a burr had developed on the engagement surfaces, polished it right off, gun should be fine.

S&W: On a 686 SSR and a 625 I broke the cranes practicing reloads, and I shot a 986 out of time chasing sub .20 splits in dry fire. Little known fact: chasing super fast splits with a wheelgun will knock it out of time quicker than a steady diet of magnums.

If one wants to future proof against arthritis

Beretta 86B or 86BB - the safety can be set for Condition 1 use and the tip up barrel means you never need to rack the slide.

.380 isn't great, but from the 4.37" 86 barrel, you should get reliable penetration and expansion particularly with heavier .380 loads. I wouldn't hesitate to carry one of these guns. And if I'm not mistake @jetfire is all about the Beretta Cheetah.

Quote Originally Posted by xray 99 View Post
    The 1708 is my dream GP - 3” barrel and adjustable sights. The examples I’ve seen had plain, black ramp front sights.
    That would do it for me. Swap out the rear for a Bowen Rough Country and the front with a gold bead Patridge.

I just noticed the 1754 - that could really flip my switch for a four incher with a set of different stocks.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Within the current product line I'd like to see:

SP101 Clapp with 2.25" barrel in 327 Fed Mag

SP101 in 40 S&W. I talked to Jack Huntington some years ago about making one of these as custom. He said it should be do-able. But 40 is dead now, more or less, so doubtful this would ever be considered as a factory offering.

GP100 44 SPL in blue or stainless. 4" barrel with partial under lug.

GP100 Clapp with Novak rear in 41 Mag. 3" would be fine here. Basically a 41 version of the 10mm revolver.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    GP100 44 SPL in blue or stainless. 4" barrel with partial under lug.
    We have a whole thread about that.

https://ruger.com/products/gp100/specSheets/1788.html
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    Yep. Just wanted to keep it all fresh in everyone's mind in case someone feels inclined to email Chris Killoy.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    What sort of round count are we considering, here?
    100 rounds a month for 40 years hopefully. So 50k rounds of mostly 38 spec.
    Last edited by Crow Hunter; 03-27-2021 at 12:07 PM. Reason: No idea what just happened.

Quote Originally Posted by jetfire View Post
    Short answer: yes, mostly. I have a longer technical answer but I’m on the road and don’t have access to all my notes right now.

Ruger: had a mystery issue with the trigger return spring/gun not resetting during DA. Cylinder and Slide said a burr had developed on the engagement surfaces, polished it right off, gun should be fine.

S&W: On a 686 SSR and a 625 I broke the cranes practicing reloads, and I shot a 986 out of time chasing sub .20 splits in dry fire. Little known fact: chasing super fast splits with a wheelgun will knock it out of time quicker than a steady diet of magnums.
    Purely for scientific inquiry, what makes it go out out time quicker? Inertia of the cylinder or something else?

User Tag List