Page 8 of 17 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Ultimate long term durability revolver

Quote Originally Posted by JAD View Post
    This forum was to a degree built around the study of crazy handgun durability versus round count, but I hesitantly point out that even with your own reloads you’re going to spend about $5-10k on ammo in the process of wearing out a $700 revolver.

So whether it takes one or two revolvers to do that might not actually be a big deal.
    I agree. But let me explain my rationale for the question.

I am approaching the half century mark. I have found that the recoil of various firearms is beginning to cause me hand pain and I have noticed that sometimes my finger joints hurt. My fear is that I am developing arthritis.

After my father passed away my mother decided she wanted start using a firearm. Initially she had a Taurus Beretta 92 clone that belonged to my father. She liked it and ran it fine, but as time progressed she found that she began having trouble running the slide and loading the mags due to arthritis in her hands. Through experimentation my brother and I found that a med frame revolver worked great for her.

I am projecting that I may have a similar future. While I have owned and used glocks primarily since 1998, I want to "future proof" myself.

I am concerned with the state of future gun laws. I am afraid that there will be legislation coming that will make it difficult to buy spare parts or ship guns back for repairs, so I want to get a durable revolver that will be as unlikely as possible to go out of time or need spare parts with a reasonable firing schedule.

I also wanted to get something that was a size that was reasonable for me to conceal so it would have some uses today.

In my opinion this is pretty much the premier resource for all things involving actually shooting rather than theorizing, so I figured I would ask.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeke38 View Post
    There are a few of these around. This one fills the bill for me. Ruger made a run of these in 357 and 38. I purchased a 38 and had Clements hog it out to 357 as the same steel and heat treatment is used in both calibers. Little heavy but I use a 38/44 level load for town and country.

The 1708 is my dream GP - 3” barrel and adjustable sights. The examples I’ve seen had plain, black ramp front sights.

Quote Originally Posted by Crow Hunter View Post

I am approaching the half century mark. I have found that the recoil of various firearms is beginning to cause me hand pain and I have noticed that sometimes my finger joints hurt. My fear is that I am developing arthritis.

After my father passed away my mother decided she wanted start using a firearm. Initially she had a Taurus Beretta 92 clone that belonged to my father. She liked it and ran it fine, but as time progressed she found that she began having trouble running the slide and loading the mags due to arthritis in her hands. Through experimentation my brother and I found that a med frame revolver worked great for her.

I am projecting that I may have a similar future. While I have owned and used glocks primarily since 1998, I want to "future proof" myself.

I am concerned with the state of future gun laws. I am afraid that there will be legislation coming that will make it difficult to buy spare parts or ship guns back for repairs, so I want to get a durable revolver that will be as unlikely as possible to go out of time or need spare parts with a reasonable firing schedule.

I also wanted to get something that was a size that was reasonable for me to conceal so it would have some uses today.

In my opinion this is pretty much the premier resource for all things involving actually shooting rather than theorizing, so I figured I would ask.

If you’re concerned that you’re going to have issues racking a slide with two hands due to arthritis or similar why would you think that you’re going to be able to manage a double action trigger proficiently?

Don’t get me wrong. I’m all about revolvers. I prefer them to semi autos for a plethora of reasons however, I think your expectations about what actions are and are not feasible when shooting a double action revolver are skewed.
    Men freely believe that which they desire.
    Julius Caesar

Quote Originally Posted by Wheeler View Post
    If you’re concerned that you’re going to have issues racking a slide with two hands due to arthritis or similar why would you think that you’re going to be able to manage a double action trigger proficiently?

Don’t get me wrong. I’m all about revolvers. I prefer them to semi autos for a plethora of reasons however, I think your expectations about what actions are and are not feasible when shooting a double action revolver are skewed.
    I am going off my experience with my mom. She could not operate any of the autos that we owned but could quite easily administrative handle and fire a med frame double action revolver both double action and single action. She wasn't going to win any competitions but was definitely able to defend herself across a room.

I could easily be wrong since I only have the single anecdote to work off of.

I am a victim of my experiences.

Quote Originally Posted by Lester Polfus View Post
    Is the rationale behind not offering the GP100 in .44 Mag the forcing cone?

Could you share what broke on your GP100, and if you don't mind, the Smiths?

From my understanding, Ruger used the standard 5/8 diameter barrel threading on the .44s. This caused the forcing cone to be relatively thin. The 10mm GPs have 11/16 threads giving a beefier forcing cone. If Ruger's engineers would do a redesign of the .44s using the larger threads you could possible see them jump up to magnums in the GP.

I have shot some stout loads in my specials. They would have made ol' Elmer proud.

Disregard
    Last edited by Tokarev; 03-27-2021 at 09:17 AM.

There's a little anecdotal info about S&W vs. Ruger here from retired Border Patrol Agent Ed Head:

http://www.downrange.tv/blog/review-...en-shot/40371/

Regarding my earlier post to buy a Redhawk; it was prompted by seeing this at auction:

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/894908570

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    Super Redhawk. Seriously. Aesthetics aside, it's superior to the Redhawk in any other metric that matters.
    Did Ruger ever offer a .357 Super Redhawk? For some reason, I believe it has never been offered in a smaller-diameter round than 10mm Auto.

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    What sort of round count are we considering, here?
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Between two major rivers that begin with the letter "M."
    Quote Originally Posted by Crow Hunter View Post
    I'm WAY past approaching the half century mark, so I have already scratched my head over the points you enumerated. One of the problems I have run into a lot is that theorizing does not necessarily work out so well in the real world; I have dropped some serious coin on guns and accessories that might be the cat's azz (so to speak) for someone else, but did not work out for me despite my due diligence. Another problem is that aging is a work in progress- what you think you may have nailed down at 50 may be untenable at 60 or 65... with or without some damnable "curveball of life" like a retina problem or a car accident that leaves your range of motion limited.

I opted for a 4" GP-100 as explained on an older thread, but despite all my rationale for it and my present satisfaction with the choice, I do wish it had a better setup for mounting an optic.* In the end, nothing is going to be perfect, the perfect is the enemy of the good, there are no free lunches, and the grass is always greener "over there."

*Why in the hell Ruger can offer a useful and intuitive optical sight mounting solution on the Super Blackhawk Hunter but not do likewise at least on something like the GP-100 Match Champions baffles me. (Think Foghorn Leghorn saying: "Match, I say, MATCH Champion, son. Why, that shootin' iron is just a-hollerin' for an optical mount you can use easy-like. Pay attention to me, Ruger, I'm talkin' to you.")
    gn

"On the internet, nobody knows if you are a dog... or even a cat."

User Tag List