Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 614151617 LastLast

Thread: Ultimate long term durability revolver

Quote Originally Posted by vtfarmer View Post
    The GP100 didn't come on the market till late 1986/early 1987, so it wasn't around for the Border Patrol tests.

Correct, it was Security Sixes and Speed Sixes that were tested.

My ping of @Outpost75 didnt seem to work before. It doesnt look like its working now either. Not sure how to make the @ work, its not live in the post.
    “Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.”
    ― Theodore Roosevelt

.pdf of tests are public domain, but large files. I can send if you PM me, but too arge to attach here.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Outpost75 View Post
    .pdf of tests are public domain, but large files. I can send if you PM me, but too arge to attach here.
    Have a link?

Quote Originally Posted by Malamute View Post
    @Outpost75 has that file and I believe may be firsthand familiar with the tests
    Yep that’s who I got it from.

This damn thread.

I’ve been looking for a S&W 620 (a short lived 7 shot half lugged L frame .357) for a few years now, and a NIB one popped up. I couldn’t say no. I think I’m set now, or will be after a few minor changes.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Quote Originally Posted by TheNewbie View Post
    Have a link?
    Don't have a link. The 3 reports are 15MB of .pdf files. PM me with an email address which can accept the files and I can send them to you.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Outpost75 View Post
    Don't have a link. The 3 reports are 15MB of .pdf files. PM me with an email address which can accept the files and I can send them to you.

Thank you. Sent a PM.

My choice would be the S&W 686, an older one of course because new S&Ws always have something wrong with them.

I'm big fan of the SP/GP revolvers and have several but do have concerns over their long term durability. One GP100 acquired new 10 years ago, blue in .38, has been used primarily as the IDPA gun. I had one or two minor problems resolved by Ruger early on but at about 7000 rounds, it developed a severe case of light strikes. Ruger fixed it and returned the tightest revolver I have ever used. Of course, they wouldn't say what the problem was but I suspect it was end shake--end shake after 7000 rounds? But I wonder how it will hold up in the next 7000 rounds.

I have a S&W 617 with just under 20,000 rounds and has been back to the factory about 14 times
    with a host of unrelated problems, the most recent of which was the light strike problem which was probably end shake again.

Neither one of these revolvers have seen hard use.

Quote Originally Posted by Flashman View Post
    I'm big fan of the SP/GP revolvers and have several but do have concerns over their long term durability. One GP100 acquired new 10 years ago, blue in .38, has been used primarily as the IDPA gun. I had one or two minor problems resolved by Ruger early on but at about 7000 rounds, it developed a severe case of light strikes. Ruger fixed it and returned the tightest revolver I have ever used. Of course, they wouldn't say what the problem was but I suspect it was end shake--end shake after 7000 rounds? But I wonder how it will hold up in the next 7000 rounds.
    It's worth noting that the practice of using a revolver in match conditions, with repeated speed reloads and trying for fast splits is far more damaging to the gun than simply firing the same number of rounds through it. A competition gun that's seen 5000 rounds of matches, training, etc will have seen a lot more "use" than a gun that was casually fired on the range for 5000 rounds and never had someone trying to slam a Comp-III into it while running.

User Tag List