Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Ultimate long term durability revolver

Ultimate long term durability revolver

If you were going to pick up the ultimate long term durability revolver that is reasonably easy to find and reasonably priced, would the group suggest something like the GP-100 3" 1715?

https://www.ruger.com/products/gp100...eets/1715.html

3" barrel = good compromise for CCW
    GP100 = Durable and easily user serviceable
    Stainless Construction = Improved environmental resistance
    Fixed sights = less likely to break than adjustable

While I believe, based on my research that a Manhurin M73 or maybe a Korth might be more reliable, they are significantly harder to source at a reasonable price.

Am I going down the wrong path?

If I were looking for the "most durable revolver" the exact model you posted would be a great choice.

Another to consider would be a fixed sight SP01, if you can live with one less round.

For me, a 1715 is about 90% of the way there. If it only had a drift adjustable rear...basically a stainless 1753.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    For me, a 1715 is about 90% of the way there. If it only had a drift adjustable rear...basically a stainless 1753.
    Yes. I would love if Ruger did the stainless WC again. Those are really, really hard to find. I assume whenever Ruger gets around to that production batch there will be another run of the 1715 again but I don't know if a stainless WC will ever be available again.

I have a 4" blued model. Clearly if you wanted ultimate reliability, stainless would be better. I've replaced the stock rear sight on mine with a Bowen Rough Country, and while in strict terms no adjustable sight is going to be as durable as a trough milled into the top-strap, I would suggest that it is extremely unlikely to break in a lifetime of hard use, and the utility it offers in allowing the gun to be zeroed to a wide variety of loads is worth it.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

Always between two major rivers that begin with the letter "M."
    Quote Originally Posted by Crow Hunter View Post
    If you were going to pick up the ultimate long term durability revolver that is reasonably easy to find and reasonably priced, would the group suggest something like the GP-100 3" 1715?

https://www.ruger.com/products/gp100...eets/1715.html

3" barrel = good compromise for CCW
    GP100 = Durable and easily user serviceable
    Stainless Construction = Improved environmental resistance
    Fixed sights = less likely to break than adjustable

While I believe, based on my research that a Manhurin M73 or maybe a Korth might be more reliable, they are significantly harder to source at a reasonable price.

Am I going down the wrong path?
    I made my utility wheelgun choice by getting a gently used 1705 since it best checked all my boxes at the moment. But to address specific points-

3" Barrel: 3" or 4" is fine, though 3" is going to be less unwieldy for CCW. I believe 4" to be the best "all around" choice of barrel length... but that is me.
    GP-100: It is as rugged as anything out there, and easier to fiddle with at home than the others. Rugers are generally kind of "agricultural" in fit/finish compared to most S&Ws, let alone Korth or Manurhin.
    Stainless: Stainless is easier to care for and is a better "all-weather" choice, but I do not think the stainless used in most revolvers wears as well mechanically - I am talking about timing, endshake, etc - over long use (my humble opinion). Tossup, depending on use/location (again, IMHO).
    Fixed sights: Personally, I would not go with fixed sights unless the model has a Novak-style rear that is at least "drift-able/changeable." And replacing an adjustable factory rear with something along the lines of a Bowen Rough Country or equivalent is pretty doggone rugged, all things considered.

The 1753 TALO run would probably be my choice among the current GP-100s having a 3" barrel.
    gn

"On the internet, nobody knows if you are a dog... or even a cat."

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Pretty much "yes", and I'm a S&W girl.

If I had to have one handgun and only one, a 3" or 4" GP.100 would be my first choice (686 second, 66-8 third), A 3" is better for appendix carry. I can do a 4", but it's a little bit pokey. 4" is better if you're going to shoot a lot of magnums because the longer tube extracts more of the work.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Any of those would work. Feed it milder ammo and keep it clean and properly lubricated, and you'll add thousands of rounds to its life.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

Banned
    Ruger released the GP100 in 44 special. S&W released the L Frame in 44 mag. There is a reason why Ruger did not chamber the GP100 in 44 mag.

GP100 the most durable gun, my rear-end. Shoot 44mag level pressure ammo in a GP100 and you’re going to lose fingers.

FTR. I own Rugers, including a GP, and I do like them. But I pass on drinking the koolaid.

Im still trying to shake apart my M66.

Any of the .38 k frames would work too. A m64 might be the easiest solution if you dont need the magnums.

User Tag List