Thread: 9mm 3-3.5”

9mm 3-3.5”

Whats the ammo recommendations for 9mm in the 3-3.5” barrel length?

@DocGKR
    Last edited by UNK; 03-26-2021 at 10:00 AM.
    I'll wager you a PF dollar™ 😎
    The lunatics are running the asylum

Site Supporter
    I'm obviously not the good doc, but I'm using 124-grain +P HST in my Walther P99C. Velocity is only about 20-30 fps slower than in my full-size PX4 and it runs flawlessly.

The conventional wisdom is that 147-grain loads lose less effectiveness when using a shorter barrel.

Standard pressure Hornady Critical Duty 135-grain chronoed at a few FPS *above* its advertised velocity in my P99c. The +P stuff might theoretically be preferred, and if so, I imagine it would perform similarly relative to the velocity printed on the box.

Quote Originally Posted by revchuck38 View Post
    The conventional wisdom is that 147-grain loads lose less effectiveness when using a shorter barrel.
    Yes, very much so this. You might be surprised how little velocity the 147gr loads lose, as a percentage, compared to 115/124gr loads, when fired from shorter barrels. Smaller powder charges (behind heavier bullets) don't need as much barrel to have a chance to burn completely, verses lighter bullet loads that are using more powder, and need a longer barrel to achieve full combustion of the powder.

Not that it matters much, really. As Doc has posted before: buy good quality modern JHP ammo that works in your gun, in quantity, and stop worrying about it. If you have a supply of a good load, that is using a lighter bullet, I wouldn't sweat it as long as it runs in your gun, and shoots to your sights.

User Tag List